OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:18:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theopaschism  (Read 1525 times) Average Rating: 0
JAWS_Thomas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA-DOW

« on: November 21, 2008, 12:17:53 AM »

I was paging through a book of terms at our church bookstore today and came across the term theopaschism. Unfortunately I could not find a good coherent definition of it or the history of it. Could someone help me?

"If you're an alien why do you sound like you're from the North?"
"Lots of planets have a north."

-Rose Tyler asking Doctor Who about his accent
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:34:06 AM »

I think this is the belief that God can suffer.  IIRC, this was one of the major objections Nestorians voiced against our belief in the perfect union of God and Man in the one hypostasis of Jesus Christ.  Nestorius denied such perfect union, in part because he could not see any way that an impassible God could actually suffer on the Cross.
holdencaulfield

Faith: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:36:58 PM »

It has many different possibilities though from this. Theopaschism can be Orthodox as well as heretical, as viewed in a Monophysite point of view. This was one of the major objections to Peter the Fuller's addition and innovation to the Trisaigion Hymn. To many it seemed (and continues to seem) to have Nestorian, Sabellian, and Monophysite connotations and views that must be held.

"For better is a laudable war than a peace which severs a man from God" - St Gregory the Theologian
JAWS_Thomas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA-DOW

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »

I ran into these views, which in turn led to my head exploding while trying to make sense of it.

"If you're an alien why do you sound like you're from the North?"
"Lots of planets have a north."

-Rose Tyler asking Doctor Who about his accent
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »

nevermind - found the answer myself.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:48:59 PM by Elisha » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 09:37:52 PM »

It has many different possibilities though from this. Theopaschism can be Orthodox as well as heretical, as viewed in a Monophysite point of view. This was one of the major objections to Peter the Fuller's addition and innovation to the Trisaigion Hymn. To many it seemed (and continues to seem) to have Nestorian, Sabellian, and Monophysite connotations and views that must be held.

From the context of your post, and other posts you have made over the last 24 hours, I take it you mean the Oriental Orthodox when you used the word Monophysite here.  It's a violation of forum policy, but I'll let it slide.

For explanations of how the OO version of the Trisagion is neither an innovation or heretical, please click on the "trisagion" tag below.  In particular, see EA's explanations here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,7178.0.html

Tags: theopaschism theology Constantinople II trisagion Christology 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: