OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:33:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Info on "charismatic" Orthodox?  (Read 2774 times) Average Rating: 0
Crazy Diamond

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Baptist

« on: November 20, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »

I heard a question recently as to whether there was such a thing as "charismatic" Orthodox, meaning Orthodox who practice glossalalia, prophecy/interpretation, that sort of thing. Obviously it's in reference to Protestant Pentecostal-type practices, which wouldn't fit the format of Orthodox services, but for all I know might be practiced in some very different form.

I searched for the phrase "charismatic orthodox" here and didn't find any threads on the topic, although I'm sure it must have come up at some point. General web searches resulted in much opinionizing and few links to authoritative sources. ( Cheesy Shocking, eh?)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 07:12:06 PM »

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/ec_glossalalia.aspx

Also try the tags at the bottom of the thread...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 07:17:22 PM »

I once visited some such church in Kyiv called the "Living Orthodox Church" with a "bishop Sergei" or something of the sort. I've been searching for their website but am unable to find it anymore, for some reason. I wasn't very impressed.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »

Hi Crazy Diamond, and welcome to the forum

You ask if "charismatic" behaviour perhaps exists withing the Orthodox Church but perhaps in a very different form.

The easy answer would be "charismatic? No!" but I think it is possible to find parallels in our monasteries. People actually become monks and nuns because they feel they have a calling to do so. Basically "God told them to". This is something I hear charismatics say all the time "God told me".

There are many examples of monastics (Saint Seraphim of Sarov pops to mind) who people from far away visited to get spiritual advice. I think many will agree with me when I say that these elders do have God given wisdom and the gift of prophesy. How else would they become so famous for giving the right advice at the right time?

Does anyone else on this forum think there is a strong connection between monasticism and "gifts of the Spirit"?

As for glossolalia, I remember vaguely about an anecdote about people who spoke different languages that was able to understand each other. This supposedly happened during confession so one of them would have been a priest. I have no idea where I heard this story so it isn't all that credible.

Glossolalia as a language that no one understands is not practiced in any Orthodox Church I have heard of.

Best regards
Robert

p.s. I hope that all can forgive me for drawing parallels between Saint Seraphim of Sarov and charismatics, I'm just thinking out loud.
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »

There is a non-canonical group who call themselves the Charismatic Orthodox Church (http://userpages.aug.com/~mdkersey/index.html).  

An interesting and related blog entry:  http://silouanthompson.net/2008/08/05/personal-experience/

This article is interesting if unrelated:  http://charismamag.com/articles/index.php?id=8189
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 10:12:23 PM »

There are many examples of monastics (Saint Seraphim of Sarov pops to mind) who people from far away visited to get spiritual advice. I think many will agree with me when I say that these elders do have God given wisdom and the gift of prophesy. How else would they become so famous for giving the right advice at the right time?

Does anyone else on this forum think there is a strong connection between monasticism and "gifts of the Spirit"?

I definitely do. You summed up my thoughts on it really well.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:14:12 PM »

There is a non-canonical group who call themselves the Charismatic Orthodox Church (http://userpages.aug.com/~mdkersey/index.html). 

The geek in me got excited when I saw they had a message board.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
ComingHome
Elder

Faith: Yes

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 10:55:33 PM »

I would love to know what the geek in you does with said factoid.  Keep us posted, please.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 01:48:20 PM »

There  is a group under Fr Eusebius Stephanou who retains a valid ordination but is probably best avoided.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 02:53:24 PM »

There  is a group under Fr Eusebius Stephanou who retains a valid ordination but is probably best avoided.

Although if you would like to visit its site, it's HERE.  My thoughts on the man (for what they're worth) are HERE.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Crazy Diamond

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Baptist

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 11:24:34 AM »

That all helps, thanks! Any more input is welcome too, of course!
Tags: glossologia tongues charismatic Protestant Christianity glossolalia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: