OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:43:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verbal Assaults--How to defend yourself  (Read 2878 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: November 19, 2008, 08:27:55 PM »

I found this article on CNN concerning how to deal with mean people. A person doesn't always have to get angry, shrink, or slink away:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/11/18/o.handle.verbal.ambushes/index.html

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Trudy

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:41:29 PM »

I found this article on CNN concerning how to deal with mean people. A person doesn't always have to get angry, shrink, or slink away: 

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/11/18/o.handle.verbal.ambushes/index.html

Good article!  I am reading a book called "The Verbally Abusive Relationship" by Patricia Evans and it has been very helpful to me dealing with a difficult person in my life.

I like the article's comment about finding a fighting stance.  I call in "leaning into" the comment.  Rather than let the nasty words flow over me and bend me backwards, I mentally lean into the comment and respond with personal strength, remembering that I am God's child and worthy of respect.

Thanks for sharing this article!

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?  Micah 6:8
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:55:25 PM »

When people are verbally abusive, I usually say "I know you are but what am I?" or "I'm rubber, your glue..whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you".

I find this generally works  Cheesy Wink

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:01:24 PM »

When people are verbally abusive, I usually say "I know you are but what am I?" or "I'm rubber, your glue..whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you".

LOL, or you could use this line: Cheesy

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:16:56 PM »

Brown belt technique: Zig-zig

As a martial artist, you'll need to get used to doing the opposite of whatever your enemies expect. For example, if someone were to push you backward, you might push back for a few seconds, then abruptly reverse, and pull your assailant in the direction he's pushing. He'd be toppled by his own momentum.

This is zig-zigging. It works beautifully on mean people. They expect a fight-or-flight reaction from their victims -- either angry pushback or slinking away. The one thing they don't anticipate is relaxed discernment. Scuttle their plans by zigging instead of zagging, cheerfully accepting any accurate statement they might make while ignoring their malicious energy.

You can observe this technique in the movie "Spanglish," when a young wife, played by Téa Leoni, lashes out at her mother. "You were an alcoholic and wildly promiscuous woman during my formative years, so I'm in this fix because of you!"

As the mother, Cloris Leachman nods and says pleasantly, "You have a solid point, dear. But right now the lessons of my life are coming in handy for you." This response stops the daughter cold, partly because it's true and partly because it contains not a whiff of pushback. The mother zigs when the daughter expects her to zag. The result is peace.

I like this one. It should definitely be a black belt technique though; it would be for me, anyway Smiley

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »

Not a bad article.  I agree, it diffuses the the situation if you stay calm and address the situation without attacking back.  I hate conflict but sometimes the best way to deal with it is directly, by pointing out the person's behavior to them.  (Although this works better with passive-aggressive people than with plain old aggressive people.)

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:42:45 AM »

LOL, or you could use this line: Cheesy

LOL! I was seriously considering using this image as my avatar, but then I thought the writing would be too small and difficult to read!  Cheesy

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »

I usually resort to sign language.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 03:13:46 PM »

I usually resort to sign language.

Tried that during a math class in high school. Good thing the teacher's back was turned... Tongue Wink

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »

I've always been a fan of the all-purpose "Your mama!" retort.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 11:19:45 PM »

I just laugh in people's faces.  It's usually received VERY well. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags: Chuck Norris 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: