OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 11:36:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 32105 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »

I just saw word today that Nicholas Courtney, the actor who played "The Brigadier" Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart alongside five different Doctors from 1968 to 1989, died yesterday at 81. A truly great actor beloved by many Doctor Who fans.

May his memory be eternal!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »

Memory eternal.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 03:15:59 PM »

Sad That's another one of the links to the early years of the show gone now. The actors who played the first three doctors are all of course dead as well. The Brigadier popped up a short while ago in the spin of series, 'The Sarah Jane Adventure's', which is mainly aimed at teenagers. That will obviously be his swansong and they will probably find a way to write him out on-screen by a reference at some future point.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

OCA

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 07:51:53 PM »

That's too bad.  I just finished watching "The Three Doctors" = what jolly fun.

May his memory be eternal.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »

May his memory be eternal!

I love Dr Who!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2011, 12:56:26 PM »

just found out today that Elizabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane) died earlier this week.  She and Tom Baker were my introduction to Doctor Who.  May her memory be eternal.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/04/19/uk-doctorwho-idUKTRE73I79X20110419
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »

Very sad news. Memory eternal.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »

Memory eternal.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2011, 02:28:34 AM »

just found out today that Elizabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane) died earlier this week.  She and Tom Baker were my introduction to Doctor Who.  May her memory be eternal.

Wow! Elisabeth Sladen was one of my favorite Doctor Who stars. Her character, Sarah Jane Smith, ranks right up there with Tegan Jovanka (the self-proclaimed mouth with legs) as among the traveling companions I remember most. I was particularly happy to see Elisabeth come back and reprise her role as Sarah Jane in a few of the Tennant episodes.

May the memory of the handmaid of God, Elisabeth, be eternal!
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2011, 07:54:59 AM »

Eternal memory!

I had not heard this...thank you for letting us know.

(*sigh*) my childhood science fiction stars are falling one by one...

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2011, 12:41:29 PM »

Prayers For Both Of Them......

Lord Have Mercy....Amen Amen

Blessed Rest Oh Lord ,Grant Too Them Both....Amen Amen

+ May Their Memories Ever Be Eternal.....Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Jharek Carnelian

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2011, 05:47:09 AM »

Wow! Elisabeth Sladen was one of my favorite Doctor Who stars. Her character, Sarah Jane Smith, ranks right up there with Tegan Jovanka (the self-proclaimed mouth with legs) as among the traveling companions I remember most. I was particularly happy to see Elisabeth come back and reprise her role as Sarah Jane in a few of the Tennant episodes.

Peter are you familiar with the kids spin of show 'The Sarah Jane Adventures' she starred in. Which oddly enough she had recently left before her death. The new Doctor Who series started here last night and there was a dedication for Elizabeth Sladen inserted at the start of the show. Very sad news but considering how the show has aired for nearly 50 years now in some form or other I supposed we shouldn't be surprised when actors and others associated with earlier periods of the show are suddenly no longer with us. Still considering she was only 63 and looked fabulous for that age it was unexpected.

These will pass,
Sorrowful.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2011, 12:34:16 PM »

I still haven't seen the Sarah Jane Adventures, but I'll look for the DVDs.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2011, 12:55:17 PM »

Peter are you familiar with the kids spin of show 'The Sarah Jane Adventures' she starred in. Which oddly enough she had recently left before her death. The new Doctor Who series started here last night and there was a dedication for Elizabeth Sladen inserted at the start of the show. Very sad news but considering how the show has aired for nearly 50 years now in some form or other I supposed we shouldn't be surprised when actors and others associated with earlier periods of the show are suddenly no longer with us. Still considering she was only 63 and looked fabulous for that age it was unexpected.
Which makes Tom Baker's longevity even more remarkable. Of course, should that be a surprise? No man ever played the lead role longer than he did.
Jharek Carnelian

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »

Which makes Tom Baker's longevity even more remarkable. Of course, should that be a surprise? No man ever played the lead role longer than he did.

Funny enough my wife has become a fan of Dr.Who in the last few years. But the one Doctor she cannot stand is the Fourth Doctor, she prefers William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, David Tennant or the current incumbent Matt Smith. She'd never heard of the show till she came to the UK a few years ago but something about Tom Baker seems to irk her.

These will pass,
Sorrowful.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »

Funny enough my wife has become a fan of Dr.Who in the last few years. But the one Doctor she cannot stand is the Fourth Doctor, she prefers William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, David Tennant or the current incumbent Matt Smith. She'd never heard of the show till she came to the UK a few years ago but something about Tom Baker seems to irk her.
I suppose you can't win 'em all. Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2012, 03:01:30 AM »

This just in: David Tennant, the actor who recently finished playing the role of the Tenth Doctor, just married the daughter of Peter Davison, the man who played Doctor No. 5 (coincidentally or not, Tennant's favorite Doctor from the classic series). Irony of ironies, Tennant and his new wife, Georgia Moffett, met on the set of the 2008 Doctor Who episode, "The Doctor's Daughter". laugh
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:01:49 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2012, 03:39:04 AM »

This just in: David Tennant, the actor who recently finished playing the role of the Tenth Doctor, just married the daughter of Peter Davison, the man who played Doctor No. 5 (coincidentally or not, Tennant's favorite Doctor from the classic series). Irony of ironies, Tennant and his new wife, Georgia Moffett, met on the set of the 2008 Doctor Who episode, "The Doctor's Daughter". laugh
Where she played the episode's title role. So, the Doctor has married the Doctor's Daughter- I didn't know Time Lord's were such strict adherents to Freud.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »

Where she played the episode's title role. So, the Doctor has married the Doctor's Daughter- I didn't know Time Lord's were such strict adherents to Freud.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time the actor playing the Doctor married one of his co-stars. Remember Tom Baker's brief marriage to Lalla Ward (Romana No. 2)?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 02:15:55 PM »

Question: have there ever been any Dr. Who video games?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »

Yes. I don't know how good it was but there was a Dalek Attack game in the 90's. I remember my brother enjoying it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek_Attack

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »

Aha! Thank you.  Grin

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »

And BBC has a few starring the voices of the current actors on their website. Free for those in the UK, cash-money for us Yanks.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time the actor playing the Doctor married one of his co-stars. Remember Tom Baker's brief marriage to Lalla Ward (Romana No. 2)?
Yeah, but it IS the first time that the actual daughter of a Doctor has co-starred as the Doctor's daughter, only to marry the Doctor who played her daddy.

But, hey, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »

I haven't been following continuity stuff too well... has the new series said anything about the Doctor's grand-daughter Susan?

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »

I haven't been following continuity stuff too well... has the new series said anything about the Doctor's grand-daughter Susan?

IIRC just a few vague references to the fact that he had a family.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »

It just seemed odd to me that such a big deal was being made that the Doctor had procreated, when everyone should have known from the beginning of the show that he had a granddaughter.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »

It just seemed odd to me that such a big deal was being made that the Doctor had procreated, when everyone should have known from the beginning of the show that he had a granddaughter.

The producers (especially of the Matt Smith series) have had an odd resistance to going into the past continuity- they missed out on the Doctor's Daughter episode tying into the whole grand-daughter thing, there was an episode of the 11th Doctor where they could have addressed the Valeyard (who is, I believe, due at some point soon). They love bringing up the classic monsters (though, again, less of that the past two seasons), but shy away from the Time Lord mythology, aside from the teasers we got from the Eccleston-Tennant years (to this day I would still love to hear more about that last Time War, and I'm still wondering who the woman in the Tennant finale was- Doctor's mother or Romana?). Some of this is understandable, it seems that the mythology started getting really weird during the McCoy era (especially in the books).

About the only thing we know for sure about the continuity in the past seasons is that the Doctor stole the TARDIS.

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2012, 03:49:51 PM »

What does everyone think of the Dr. Who Christmas Special that was on TV this year?
I have been watching Season 6 on DVD too.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »

The producers (especially of the Matt Smith series) have had an odd resistance to going into the past continuity- they missed out on the Doctor's Daughter episode tying into the whole grand-daughter thing, there was an episode of the 11th Doctor where they could have addressed the Valeyard (who is, I believe, due at some point soon). They love bringing up the classic monsters (though, again, less of that the past two seasons), but shy away from the Time Lord mythology, aside from the teasers we got from the Eccleston-Tennant years (to this day I would still love to hear more about that last Time War, and I'm still wondering who the woman in the Tennant finale was- Doctor's mother or Romana?). Some of this is understandable, it seems that the mythology started getting really weird during the McCoy era (especially in the books).

About the only thing we know for sure about the continuity in the past seasons is that the Doctor stole the TARDIS.

Where it really counts, they carried on the worst aspects of the original series, especially in the 80's, where the Doctor became a godlike being, almost an eternal principle, at the center of everything. And the Daleks and Cybermen really should be retired... their earlier stories were great but now they're stock monsters.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2012, 01:06:04 AM »

Where it really counts, they carried on the worst aspects of the original series, especially in the 80's, where the Doctor became a godlike being, almost an eternal principle, at the center of everything. And the Daleks and Cybermen really should be retired... their earlier stories were great but now they're stock monsters.

I think these past two seasons have gone a good way toward correcting that perception- the Doctor is still a powerful, almost elemental, force for good, but there has been less of the "Oncoming Storm" sense of that awful, invincible good and more of a focus on the "mad man with a box", fallible, prone to mistakes, and the companions existing as much to provide help as counter-balance his ego.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »

And a free one that I spent more time with than I should have...

http://www.doctorwhowit.com/

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2012, 11:38:05 AM »

And a free one that I spent more time with than I should have...

http://www.doctorwhowit.com/

Thanks, I'll check that out.  Smiley

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2012, 12:44:48 PM »

I think these past two seasons have gone a good way toward correcting that perception- the Doctor is still a powerful, almost elemental, force for good, but there has been less of the "Oncoming Storm" sense of that awful, invincible good and more of a focus on the "mad man with a box", fallible, prone to mistakes, and the companions existing as much to provide help as counter-balance his ego.
[/quote]
I agree with you: especially in regards the role of Amy Pond "helping" him.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2012, 03:06:49 AM »

Any thoughts on Jenna-Louise Coleman joining the show?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:10:20 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »

Was there a Doctor Who "Christmas Special" this year that I missed?
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »

There was, and a brilliant one it was too! With Richard E. Grant as the (human) antagonist, and the return of the Great Intelligence!

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:22 AM »

I haven't bothered with the new series in about a year, it's just so irredeemably bad.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »

I wouldn't call it irredeemably bad, although for purists whose calendars stopped with Tom Baker, it may certainly appear so. :-) I like the greater-story-arc treatment, and certainly Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill were among the best companions ever. J-Lou already looks promising, as well. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2013, 11:12:36 AM »

I wouldn't call it irredeemably bad, although for purists whose calendars stopped with Tom Baker, it may certainly appear so. :-) I like the greater-story-arc treatment, and certainly Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill were among the best companions ever. J-Lou already looks promising, as well. Wink

I agree with you (and I grew up with Tom Baker, too). The only period where I would have described Doctor Who as irredeemably bad was while Sylvester McCoy was the Doctor. Matt Smith's good, a reasonably close third behind Tom Baker and David Tennant, in my opinion and the Ponds were excellent companions. The Christmas special was well worth watching (almost the only good television over the whole Christmas period that I can recall) and I'm looking forward to more. Nothing better than sitting down to watch Doctor Who with the kids on a Saturday evening.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »

The worst thing about the McCoy years was the virtual deification of the Doctor, and that has continued in the new series in spades. Once you've made him the center of the universe, it's very hard to go back to him being some random, eccentric meddler who occasionally shows up.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »

So, now that we know that Peter Capaldi is going to be Twelfth, are there sighs of relief or groans around?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »

Well, it's an older dude (same age as Hartnell when he started), so maybe lame love-interests will fall by the wayside and the writing will improve. I don't have much hope for it though.

hopeful-christian

Faith: Very new to Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »

I'd say Smith was my favorite Doctor, even if the actual stories the Eleventh got into weren't as good as they could've been. Tom Baker is a second, and then David Tennant.

I honestly look forward to the day when we have a new showrunner. Moffat was great at individual episodes but not so great at running the whole show, in my opinion. I think it was his hand that held this last Doctor back from being the best one so far.

I have pretty high hopes for the new Doctor, though they'd be higher if we had someone else at the helm of the actual plot.

Still, imagine being a Dalek going up against this:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:02:05 PM by hopeful-christian » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »

"Victory of the Daleks," the worst Dalek story in the history of Doctor Who- and that's saying something- happened under Moffat's watch.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2014, 08:41:34 PM »

I heard today that Peter Jackson may direct an episode of Doctor Who in the not-too-distant future. Apparently, he's always wanted to, but has been too busy recently producing and directing The Hobbit trilogy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/doctor-who-showrunner-says-peter-721153
Tags: Doctor Who Bow ties are cool! 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: