Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 145703 times)

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #2385 on: January 26, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
"Seven." I saw it when it came out. Saw it today again on Netflix.

Yipes.  :o
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox-ethnically delicious
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in AmericaOutsideAmerica
« Reply #2386 on: January 29, 2015, 03:21:21 AM »
Lone Ranger on Netflix.  It was better than I thought it would be.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Online LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2387 on: January 29, 2015, 08:33:46 AM »

Glutton for punishment, eh?
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2388 on: January 29, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »

One of my favourite movies ever. Addictive.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #2389 on: January 29, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »

I love a good mystery plot. There were some moments when I had to flinch, because of the gore.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2390 on: January 29, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
I watched the final Hobbit movie. It was terrible.
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #2391 on: January 29, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »
The first "Star Trek" movie, from 1979. Bonkers as ever, but gorgeous.  :-*

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2392 on: February 22, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »
The Oscars are upon us! Place your bets - is Boyhood or The Theory of Everything going to be the big winner? :D
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Alxandra

• Faith: Greek Orthodox
« Reply #2393 on: February 22, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »
Jane Eyre
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Peacemaker

• High Elder
« Reply #2394 on: February 22, 2015, 08:39:52 PM »
Debating if I want to go watch Hot Tub time machine or not tonight.
"Everything in this life passes away, only God remains. Only He is worth struggling towards. We have a choice: to follow the way of this world, of the society that surrounds us, and thereby find ourselves outside of God; or to choose the way of life, to choose God who calls us and for Whom our heart is searching." -- Blessed Seraphim Rose

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #2395 on: February 22, 2015, 08:40:59 PM »
Cesar Chavez

Disappointing. I love Cesar Chavez and was really hoping for a better effort than this. The movie seemed to just be going through the motions. None of the characters were fully developed enough, and the movie rushes through the formative information about Chavez's life in order to get to the climax. Also, the movie overplayed the good guys vs. bad guys theme. The growers were caricatured too much in my opinion. So overall the movie just seemed to fall short on many levels. I guess I'm glad the movie was made because now more people will know something about this great man's life. But as far as biopics go, this one is pretty forgettable, unlike the subject of the film.

Selam
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #2396 on: February 22, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »
Trying to capture the essence of a epic film.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #2397 on: February 22, 2015, 09:02:08 PM »
Trying to capture the essence of a epic film.

Mahabharata
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Elder
  • The above icon is St. Athansius. I am in need of fellowship and prayers.
    • The Least of Pilgrims Liturgical Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Chrismated, in a canonical jurisdiction
« Reply #2398 on: February 24, 2015, 03:33:45 AM »
The first "Star Trek" movie, from 1979. Bonkers as ever, but gorgeous.  :-*

Amen to that.  I love the character of Commander Decker, who was also the basis of TNG's Will Riker.   And the high theology of the longer TV version and directors cut, where Decker says "Of course!  We all create God in our own image!" referring to V'ger's inability to conceive of humans having created it (aa the Voyager 6 space probe) and instead imagined it was created by rhe machines present on Earth, which though not as sophisticated as those that upgraded Vger on the machine planet, by the 23rd century would surely appear capable of making do without the "carbon based units" that are "not true life forms" (humans) that "infest" Earth and the USS Enterprise, and which Vger prepares to exterminate.

Then Decker intervenes and joins with Vger and the robotic replica of Lt. Ilia in a literal apotheosis which is utterly transcendental and brings tears to my eyes every time.  It's the most epic Star Trek movie; The Wrath of Khan is good, and has moments of deep emotional impact with the death of Spock, but The Motion Picture is like 2001: A Space Odyssey done right.  2001 is an epic film and without it we wouldn't have had TMP, but 2001 has only one three dimensional character, HAL 9000, whereas both Vger and the Enterprise crew are equally intense in TMP.  The transcendental conclusion of 2001 appeared to many with shall we say first hand knowledge as a mere LSD trip, on film, whereas the transcendental conclusion of TMP is comprehensible and part of a coherent plot.  That said, the 2001-imitation scenes where the Enterprise penetrates the cloud surrounding Vger and over flies the vast object itself are more than a little "trippy" and not as impressive as the effects directors thought they were; they could have been cut and the film wouldn't have suffered.

The same director by the way who did Star Trek: The Motion Picture also directed the original versions of The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Andromeda Strain, both masterpieces of cinematic SF in their own right.  Star Trek was his final SF film, also the one movie where Gene Roddenberry had the most input, and was IMO a crowning achievement for both men.   As it says at the conclusion of the film, "The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning", which I think is something Orthodoxy with its promise of Theosis can agree with, surprisingly.   Also, fun fact: the script was originally written for the cancelled Star Trek: Phase 2 television series (along with a lot of the film), and was entitled In Thy Image.  The characters Lt. Commander Surak and Commander Decker were jointly intended to replace Spoxk as Nimoy who at the time struggled with alcoholism initially did not wish to,return to the roll, but money persuaded him otherwise, hence Surak's gruesome death in the transporter malfunction and Decker's apotheosis.   Lt. Ilia I believe was written specifically for the film.  Also if I recall Gucci did the awesome uniforms, where the leather boots are sewn into the pants leg, providing a sleek dignified and professional look that in the future might actually be highly practical (imagine just jumping into your pants and shoes in one move); a nice contrast to the silly bell bottoms of Space: 1999 or even Star Trek 2.
William Inge KCVO, the Dean of St. Paul's in London from 1911-1934, when asked if he was a liturgiologist replied, “No. Nor do I collect postage stamps."

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #2399 on: February 25, 2015, 01:10:27 AM »
Chef

Good movie. Great soundtrack. I really enjoyed this one.

Selam
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+