OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:38:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 32552 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« on: November 19, 2008, 06:15:14 PM »

To give the following post context, this was originally posted as a reply to this thread:  Star Trek: May 2009

BIG WHOOPIN' DEAL! Roll Eyes  Once the BBC finally puts Doctor Who on the big screen, then I'll be impressed.  Until then... Cool
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:31:23 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »

^This, this, and this!  It has to be David Tennant, though.  Or at least Tom Baker.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 06:57:19 PM »

^This, this, and this!  It has to be David Tennant, though.  Or at least Tom Baker.
Tom Baker's too old.  (Of course, Peter Davison came back to reprise his role as No. 5 in the 8-minute sketch he did with David Tennant.  I think that was "Time Crash", set between the events of "Last of the Time Lords" and "Voyage of the Damned".)
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:59:52 PM »

Split the off-topic Dr. Who groupies!! police

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 07:44:45 PM »

BIG WHOOPIN' DEAL! Roll Eyes  Once the BBC finally puts Doctor Who on the big screen, then I'll be impressed.  Until then... Cool
Yeah, you know what they say about TV shows and books: it's not a success until it becomes a movie.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 08:43:02 PM »

According to this press release from the BBC, David Tennant will be leaving the show after he completes the four special episodes scheduled for the 2009 season--weekly episodes of Doctor Who will resume with the Eleventh Doctor in 2010.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7698539.stm
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 08:45:10 PM »

Yeah, you know what they say about TV shows and books: it's not a success until it becomes a movie.
Well, there was the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie that starred Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 09:23:46 PM »

I'm wondering what they'll do when they've used all twelve Doctors. The show is just now becoming more popular than ever (thanks in large part to David Tennant).

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 09:51:13 PM »

I want to see the old episodes again.  I tried watching them on Youtube and other sources, but then they got removed for violating copyright.  As if anybody shows them anywhere anymore!

Did anybody see the movie "Filth" on Masterpiece Theater on Sunday?  It's the real-life story of Mrs. Whitehouse, who, starting in 1963, fought against the relaxed standards on British TV.  I got the strong impression that she wasn't a prude, just someone who felt that violence and sex on TV were sending the wrong messages to young people, that sex belongs in marriage.  She started watching TV shows looking for things to write to the BBC to complain about.  Hubby and I laughed when she started jotting down notes while watching a fight with a Cyberman on an episode of Dr. Who (Doctor #2). 

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:27:21 PM »

I'm wondering what they'll do when they've used all twelve Doctors.
Actually, twelve regenerations means thirteen Doctors.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 07:32:58 AM »

I'm wondering what they'll do when they've used all twelve Doctors.
Actually, twelve regenerations means thirteen Doctors.
I knew there was a reason I don't teach math! laugh

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 11:09:14 AM »

I'll be really sad to see David Tennant go.  He gave the Doctor a whole new energy and cheekiness that I really enjoyed.  Paul McGann was ok but he, like Christopher whatshisname who was just before Tennant, took the role entirely too seriously.  Tennant fleshed out the Doctor so you saw how haunted he was by his past and yet how hopeful he was that the universe could be good and people could love each other.  One of my favorite lines from the recent episodes was the Doctor calling humans "brilliant, stupid, wonderful people."

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »

My wife is a big Dr. Who fan. Myself, meh...  Wink

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »

My wife is a big Dr. Who fan. Myself, meh...  Wink

Same here.  My father-in-law was regional president of the Dr. Who fan club in the 70s/80s and it rubbed off on his daughter.

I just don't get it.  It's one of the few quintessentially English TV shows I have absolutely no interest in.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 01:58:04 AM »

Okay.  Time for the random Doctor Who question of the day.  Does Captain Jack Harkness eventually become the Face of Boe?

Rose Tyler, in "Parting of the Ways", made Jack immortal, but it's thought that he still ages, though extremely slowly.  In his few appearances, all after about 5,000,000,000 CE, the Face of Boe is thought to be the oldest living creature known in the universe and, moments before his death in "Gridlock", calls the Doctor an "old friend".  And finally, during the events of "Last of the Time Lords", Capt. Jack speaks briefly of his youth in the Boeshane Peninsula where he was nicknamed the "Face of Boe".  Is it possible that during his extremely long aging process Capt. Jack Harkness actually mutates into the Face of Boe?

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Harkness#Future_as_the_Face_of_Boe.3F
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 01:59:58 AM »

This topic has interested me, since I'm also a big Dr Who fan. My feeling is that, yes, Jack Harkness is the Face of Boe.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 02:46:46 AM »

Does anybody know if any of the doctor who programs can be viewed online.....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 03:11:08 AM »

Does anybody know if any of the doctor who programs can be viewed online.....
I'd watched a few of the classic episodes (1963-1989) on youtube, but I've heard rumor that the BBC pulled those off the internet for copyright reasons--might be the same for the new series videos.  I also tried to view recent episodes on the BBC web site, but those can only be seen in Great Britain.  I'll see what else I can find over the next few days.  (Personally, I have the complete first three seasons of the revived series on DVD and am waiting for the right time to purchase the fourth and most recent.)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 03:22:01 AM »

if one googles welcome joost and sign's in and does a search  for the lexx series,,, there showing all the episodes there...SmileyCentral.com" border="0  http://www.joost.com/home also they may not require a sign in to watch the programs..
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:36:17 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 04:11:26 AM »

if one googles welcome joost and sign's in and does a search  for the lexx series,,, there showing all the episodes there...SmileyCentral.com" border="0  http://www.joost.com/home also they may not require a sign in to watch the programs..
I don't see Doctor Who there.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 04:54:01 AM »

you can split the thread ,,i was just the mentioning the lexx series thats very good over there...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 04:58:53 AM »

I don't see Doctor Who there.

i remember that when the doctor who season ended the lexx series began..thats why i menioned it here...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 07:23:44 AM »

Okay.  Time for the random Doctor Who question of the day.  Does Captain Jack Harkness eventually become the Face of Boe?

Rose Tyler, in "Parting of the Ways", made Jack immortal, but it's thought that he still ages, though extremely slowly.  In his few appearances, all after about 5,000,000,000 CE, the Face of Boe is thought to be the oldest living creature known in the universe and, moments before his death in "Gridlock", calls the Doctor an "old friend".  And finally, during the events of "Last of the Time Lords", Capt. Jack speaks briefly of his youth in the Boeshane Peninsula where he was nicknamed the "Face of Boe".  Is it possible that during his extremely long aging process Capt. Jack Harkness actually mutates into the Face of Boe?

Indeed, I think you're right.  I am hoping they pursue that story as it would be way more interesting than chasing around Rose Tyler.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 10:16:21 AM »

Indeed, I think you're right.  I am hoping they pursue that story as it would be way more interesting than chasing around Rose Tyler.
There are so many great story arcs in Doctor Who. They spent way too much time last season bringing back the other companions (though I think that was primarily because of Catherine Tate's abysmal approval rating). Freema Agyeman was so good; I wonder why the change, if not merely for change's sake?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »

(though I think that was primarily because of Catherine Tate's abysmal approval rating).
Is she just too much of an annoying airhead chatterbox?  I've only been able to catch the last two episodes ("The Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End"), so I really don't know for certain.  The way I just described her character, Donna Noble, is the impression I got of her in just the little time I saw her.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 02:48:12 PM »

There was a spin off from the Doctor who series ...can anybody remember the name of that program ...i remember the first name of the woman jane ??  she has a super computer and she's battling aliens on earth while the doctor is away some were in the universe......SmileyCentral.com" border="0

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 02:58:39 PM »

There was a spin off from the Doctor who series ...can anybody remember the name of that program ...i remember the first name of the woman jane ??  she has a super computer and she's battling aliens on earth while the doctor is away some were in the universe......SmileyCentral.com" border="0
You're probably thinking of The Sarah Jane Adventures, starring Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith, a travelling companion of the Third and Fourth Doctors during the classic series and of the Tenth Doctor for the latest episode of the revived series.  (FWIW, she is the only companion from the original series to return for at least one episode of the revived series.)

Does she also have that robot dog, K-9 Mark IV?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:11:14 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 03:02:01 PM »

Thats the one ,,i liked that one alot ...is it still on tv...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 03:18:59 PM »

Does she also have that robot dog, K-9 Mark IV?
I love what a previous K-9 unit said right before he blew up the Krillitanes and himself in "School Reunion".

Brother Lassar (leader of the Krillitanes):  "BAD DOG!"

K-9 (in a smug, self-congratulating robot tone):  "Af-firm-a-tive!"
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:58:45 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 12:59:41 AM »

Thats the one ,,i liked that one alot ...is it still on tv...SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Yes, I believe so.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 01:51:04 AM »

Yes, I believe so.

i don't remember the k-9 robot dog in the sara jane series,,only in the doctor who,,,,SmileyCentral.com" border="0

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 10:07:29 AM »

IIRC, the Doctor left K-9 with Sarah Jane as a companion when he left her to save the universe (again).

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2008, 01:11:43 AM »

IIRC, the Doctor left K-9 with Sarah Jane as a companion when he left her to save the universe (again).
Yes, I believe he built K-9 Mark IV for Sarah Jane after K-9 Mark III was destroyed in "School Reunion".
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 05:36:39 PM »

(though I think that was primarily because of Catherine Tate's abysmal approval rating).
Is she just too much of an annoying airhead chatterbox?  I've only been able to catch the last two episodes ("The Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End"), so I really don't know for certain.  The way I just described her character, Donna Noble, is the impression I got of her in just the little time I saw her.
Yes. That's precisely why. The character is just plain irritating, and Tate is a decent but not great actor. I just don't feel any connexion to her, and in television, more than any other theatrical medium, that lack of connexion is inexcusable.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »

I wasn't too fond of Catherine Tate's grrrrlpower thing she had going, though Donna did at least mention she acts like she does because she doesn't feel she's significant.  My favorite of the new companions is Martha Jones, by far.  She has an air of self-assurance that most companions don't have, like they're so grateful to hang out with The Doctor because their own lives are so pitiful.  I was sad to see her go, but I was also happy to see Martha was moving on because she had her own life to tend to.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »

IIRC, there have been a couple of Dr Who films on the big screen.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 01:41:19 AM »

Interesting...  I just found out that the actor slated to play the Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith, is, at 26, the youngest actor ever to be cast as the Doctor (three years younger than No. 5, Peter Davison, when he took the job in 1980).  Even more interesting is that one of the candidates for the role of No. 11 was Sean Pertwee, son of the actor who played the Third Doctor, Jon Pertwee.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 01:57:35 AM »

U-tub will start playing Dr, Who Again they reached some agreement with bbc...full episodes  soon ...

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 03:17:03 AM »

U-tub will start playing Dr, Who Again they reached some agreement with bbc...full episodes  soon ...
Yeah, I just watched on youtube the 2009 Easter Special, "Planet of the Dead", starring Michelle Ryan alongside David Tennant, that aired less than two weeks ago.

You can watch Part 1 of 6 here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU13ygSkcXs
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 03:36:23 AM »

WARNING:  POTENTIAL SPOILER

"He will knock four times."
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 10:02:17 AM »

I heard yesterday that Gillian Anderson of X-Files fame would be appearing in Doctor Who.  Cheesy

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 11:35:06 AM »

I heard yesterday that Gillian Anderson of X-Files fame would be appearing in Doctor Who.  Cheesy
And of no other fame whatsoever. But at least she's a better actor than David Duchovny.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 12:56:14 PM »

I also saw how two other candidates for the role of the Eleventh Doctor were Billie Piper (so soon after playing Rose Tyler?) and Catherine Zeta Jones (I just can't imagine her as the Doctor).
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 01:33:44 PM »

I also saw how two other candidates for the role of the Eleventh Doctor were Billie Piper (so soon after playing Rose Tyler?) and Catherine Zeta Jones (I just can't imagine her as the Doctor).

NO! NO! NO!  It must not be so!  I didn't like Billie Piper at all.  I really wish the character of Martha Jones hadn't been written off so easily... she was the one companion who wasn't all slobbery over the Doctor at all times.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2009, 04:56:38 AM »

NO! NO! NO!  It must not be so!  I didn't like Billie Piper at all.  I really wish the character of Martha Jones hadn't been written off so easily... she was the one companion who wasn't all slobbery over the Doctor at all times.
Agreed. And Catherine Tate wasn't any better than Billie Piper. It really says something about her when the writers felt it necessary to bring back the last two companions rather than continue with Tate until the end of the season. Agyeman and Tennant just had a chemistry that was so much fun to watch. That's rare and special thing.

Tags: Doctor Who Bow ties are cool! 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: