OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 07:56:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What sorts of topics should we have more discussion of on OC.net that we currently don't have (or have enough of)? (Vote for your top 3)
Sports
Leisure activities
Town Life
Social movements
Music
Pop culture
Celebrity / Gossip / Tabloid
Simple "living life" subjects
Home improvement / Auto repair
Farming / Gardening
Computers / Software
Games / Video Games / Gaming culture
Traditionalist / Old Calendarist Discussion
Other (please specify below)

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Topics we should have on OC.net  (Read 4466 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: November 19, 2008, 09:27:09 AM »

In the thread "For Those Who Don't Post Much (or Who Don't Post At All)" (http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17925.0.html), it was suggested that we have too many threads focused on theological debate, and not enough on regular-type subjects (a point on which I agree).  So this thread is to gauge interest in various other types of threads that could be started here, in the interests of having discussion amongst Orthodox Christians (and other Christians) about everyday-life subjects.

This poll is not restricted to those members who don't post much - anyone and everyone is encouraged to vote!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:49:25 AM »

IMO it's good, that the forum is focused on theological or wider - religious issues. If someone looks for opinions about Angelina Jolie or lawnmowers he won't search here Wink. I wouldn't like this forum to be cluttered with such junk threads.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:51:40 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »

IMO it's good, that the forum is focused on theological or wider - religious issues. If someone looks for opinions about Angelina Jolie or lawnmowers he won't search here Wink. I wouldn't like this forum to be cluttered with such junk threads.

Well, I put some of those options in there just to "throw people off" - not expecting anyone to choose them, but rather to get a good laugh at them.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:55:22 AM »

I am not sure what "simple, live life" means, but I figure if it's something like "My neighbor's dog did his duty on my yard" and how do I handle it, and etc. type of stuff, then it is worthwhile.  I'm not really sure what it means though, but it sounds good! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »

I am not sure what "simple, live life" means, but I figure if it's something like "My neighbor's dog did his duty on my yard" and how do I handle it, and etc. type of stuff, then it is worthwhile.  I'm not really sure what it means though, but it sounds good! 

That sounds about right... Everyday living subjects like "what to do with annoying neighbors" or the like.  You got the meaning.

---------------------
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

I also like the idea of just talking about life.  In any case, shouldn't Orthodoxy permeate every aspect of life?

I also do gardening.   Grin

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 12:44:33 PM »

I do enjoy reading the deep theological threads, but I hardly post in them. My experience of Orthodoxy is mainly from just trying to live the best I can, so those threads are the ones in which I spend most of my time here.

It is true that Christianity is not just a religion but a way of life, and therefore really anything can have spiritual implications. Auto repair, for instance, includes overcoming the temptation of cursing your car as it breaks down, resisting the prideful thought that you can fix it yourself, and the martyrdom of being swindled once you get to the shop. Grin

But seriously, I'd like to see less politics, especially what I term the "politics of sex"--abortion, homosexuality, stem cell research, and the like--and focus more on the problems that we ourselves face on a daily basis: how to be kind to our neighbour, how to morally earn and spend money, how to make church a priority when we're juggling two careers and three kids' activities.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »

Mr Y. - Agreed.

we're juggling two careers and three kids' activities.

So you have a couple kids that Mrs. Y doesn't know about? *chuckle*

---------------------
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 01:51:51 PM »

Shocked

Just kidding.  Or not? Wink

(Unless he's referring to the two cats who act like kids but don't have many activities apart from bringing dead things to our doorstep.)

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 01:58:26 PM »

I'm partial to medical research just to share different perspectives on medical care especially with the wide age range from infants to at least 60 and above.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 02:26:04 PM »

(Unless he's referring to the two cats who act like kids but don't have many activities apart from bringing dead things to our doorstep.)

ooooh.  Fun.

---------------------
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 02:59:45 PM »

Mr Y. - Agreed.

we're juggling two careers and three kids' activities.

So you have a couple kids that Mrs. Y doesn't know about? *chuckle*
Cheesy No, I'm just trying to envision scenarios that would be useful to our members. Several of us have multiple children; Mrs. Y and myself probably will too (though not too soon I hope).

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »

No, I'm just trying to envision scenarios that would be useful to our members. Several of us have multiple children; Mrs. Y and myself probably will too (though not too soon I hope).

I got the idea...

---------------------
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 03:28:51 PM »

Curling trivia.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »

I'd actually like to see more of every kind of discussion--both theological and non-theological. If someone suggests that there are too many theological threads, that one will leave me scratching my head. Where? I missed them! If anything, this forum is light on the number of theological threads compared to other (mostly Protestant) forums that I've been a part of. On the other hand, I don't mind "daily life" topics either. Both are relevant to the life in Christ.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »

I voted for "other" because I would like to see more interesting communications about books. We do have a thread "What Are You Reading," and it is interesting, but it contains mostly people's reports about reading this or that book by a certain Christian (mostly Orthodox) author. On the other hand, posts in this thread where people share their impressions about a certain book, rather than just report that they are reading it, are in a minority. Also, I would like to see more communications about good fiction books (not Harry Potter etc., but something more, ahem, adult).

Love never fails.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 07:39:49 PM »

No, I'm just trying to envision scenarios that would be useful to our members. Several of us have multiple children; Mrs. Y and myself probably will too (though not too soon I hope).

I got the idea...
Sorry. I knew you were joking, but I also didn't want to be in trouble. Cheesy

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 12:07:50 AM »

Sorry. I knew you were joking, but I also didn't want to be in trouble. Cheesy

Your secret is safe with me.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 10:01:08 PM »

Bump - for those who didn't get a chance to vote earlier.

---------------------
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 11:38:19 PM »

Bump - for those who didn't get a chance to vote earlier.

I thought OCN.Net stood for ORTHODOX CHRISTIANITY.Net!  What in the options listed ties them into Orthodox Christianity or even religion for that matter?  Over the years I have recommended this site to many people interested in Orthodoxy.  Many of them have come in looked and left because of some of the subject lines like 'What kind of music are you listening to?', etc. completly turned them off.   

If you get any more secular you will lose even more of your membership who are interested in serious discussion and debate regarding the Orthosdox Catholic faith.  But what do I know!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »

I thought OCN.Net stood for ORTHODOX CHRISTIANITY.Net!  What in the options listed ties them into Orthodox Christianity or even religion for that matter?  Over the years I have recommended this site to many people interested in Orthodoxy.  Many of them have come in looked and left because of some of the subject lines like 'What kind of music are you listening to?', etc. completly turned them off.  

I suppose I have a different outlook - I'd rather engage people with the same worldview (i.e. other Orthodox Christians) on subjects like music than those who don't share the same values.  The diversity of subjects just shows the comfort level exhibited, I reckon.

If you get any more secular you will lose even more of your membership who are interested in serious discussion and debate regarding the Orthosdox Catholic faith.  But what do I know!

Well, not all of the above topics are "secular" per se... The most popular choice by vote (14 votes, 20% of the votes cast but selected by 50% of voters) was "simple 'living life' subjects" - which is exactly what most discussion of Orthodox Praxis should be.  But it is an excellent point: the goofier threads, while they can be fun for those participating, can be a huge turn-off for those who want a more reasonable and relevant discussion on Orthodoxy.

Of course, I think one of the reasons why some folks have shied away from the more serious topics is the sort-of "Merry-go-Round" feeling of many of the topics... How many more Church Politics, homosexuality, pews, menstruation & Communion, etc. threads can we take, before the reasonable 3/4 of the membership goes crazy?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:47:58 PM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 11:53:35 PM »

On this subject, I have to give Asteriktos a lot of credit - he's been great at starting new and interesting discussions lately, saving us from the boring rut of bashing Traditionalism/Modernism/Foreigners/Politicians/Women/Men/Babies/Aliens/Cats/etc.

---------------------
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 05:44:27 PM »

I voted for "other" because I would like to see more interesting communications about books. We do have a thread "What Are You Reading," and it is interesting, but it contains mostly people's reports about reading this or that book by a certain Christian (mostly Orthodox) author. On the other hand, posts in this thread where people share their impressions about a certain book, rather than just report that they are reading it, are in a minority. Also, I would like to see more communications about good fiction books (not Harry Potter etc., but something more, ahem, adult).

I second this.  There are a lot of fantastic writers from Orthodox cultures, and many of the Orthodox cultures have a really rich secular literature.  Russian is the most obvious obvious and is easily available in English translation for the most part.  But I also think someone like Andrić (Serbian / Yugoslav) or some Ukrainian literature would be fun to read as well ( I mention these because I am most familiar with them, not as a slight to others).     

For now I have Gao Xingjian's Soul Mountain on my will read next list.  If anyone is interested in starting a thread in the reviews forum, I'd be game for following along. 
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 06:45:56 PM »

How about Orthodox-Non-Christian discussion. Anything from Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, Atheism, etc. etc. etc.
How about that?

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 08:47:47 PM »

How about Orthodox-Non-Christian discussion. Anything from Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, Atheism, etc. etc. etc.
How about that?

That would interest me, though I think we're probably in the minority here.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »

How about that?

That would interest me, though I think we're probably in the minority here.

I would find that interesting and post there.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 09:01:16 PM »

How about that?
I would like such discussion.

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »

I didnt see a category about Ramen noodles or toe lint.   

How about a pole to make less poles?

And for you smarties, no I don't mean the eastern european Poles.

They have some cute goils.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »

And for you smarties, no I don't mean the eastern european Poles.
Of course not. You meant polls.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 12:06:54 AM »

How about that?
I would like such discussion.

We might want to think it through really well first.  What I mean is, visitors from other faiths should feel welcome anytime regardless, and I think they do already.  But when we invite them here for the explicit reason for an 'inter-faith' dialogue, things can turn sour pretty quickly.  A person's faith is very personal and emotional as well with their whole identity being tied to it.  I'm not convinced that it won't devolve into a lot of arguing.  Just my $0.02  Undecided

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 09:10:19 AM »

How about an Orthodox travel forum? 

I had a 24-hour layover in Istanbul recently and didn't really know what to see other than Hagia Sophia (as amazing as it was, I didn't really like forking over money to the Turkish government to subsidize its continued oppression of Christian populations) as far as Orthodox sites go.  Something along the lines of how to get to working churches used by the local Orthodox communities (i.e. how to get there using public transport) and other Orthodox related points of interest that won't be in Lonely Planet or wikitravel. 
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 11:45:57 AM »

I had a 24-hour layover in Istanbul recently and didn't really know what to see other than Hagia Sophia (as amazing as it was, I didn't really like forking over money to the Turkish government to subsidize its continued oppression of Christian populations) as far as Orthodox sites go.  Something along the lines of how to get to working churches used by the local Orthodox communities (i.e. how to get there using public transport) and other Orthodox related points of interest that won't be in Lonely Planet or wikitravel. 

Great idea! 

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 12:28:30 PM »

How about that? 

That would be interesting, but would have to have (a) strict guidelines for discussion, both for the Orthodox participants, and the non-Orthodox, and (b) a moderator with not only sufficient patience and grace, but more than passing knowledge of many major non-Christian faiths.  I'm all for it, if we (the Administration and Moderation Team of OC.net) can satisfy both (a) and (b).

Great idea.  I wished I had known - I could have given you some names and phone numbers and contact info for Istambul.

---------------------
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 06:24:03 PM »

On this subject, I have to give Asteriktos a lot of credit - he's been great at starting new and interesting discussions lately, saving us from the boring rut of bashing Traditionalism/Modernism/Foreigners/Politicians/Women/Men/Babies/Aliens/Cats/etc.

Oh, man!  I missed the alien bashing?!  Dood, what thread was that in?  I wanna post!!!  I love alien bashing!!!!  Smiley
Just kidding.

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: