OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:09:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Book of Enoch  (Read 9322 times) Average Rating: 0
new illumined

Faith: Seeking Orthodoxy (Former Jehovah's Witness)
Jurisdiction: United States

« on: November 19, 2008, 02:48:22 AM »

It is my understanding that the Book of Enoch is used in the Ethiopian orthodox church. How is it that the Orthodox Christians reject this book and by what basis? I understand it was not included in the original canon. Is the Ethiopian church the only church that accepts this book? By what means do they accept this book?
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 03:45:40 AM »

Maybe this would be better suited in the Oriental Orthodox forum?
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »

I agree and am moving this to the Oriental Orthodoxy discussion Forum for further exploration.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:29:17 PM »

The Coptic Church rejects it, but the Ethiopian Church accepts it.  I don't know why.  It's one of those differences we have.  I heard by our Church members that it's rejected based on two things:

1.  Authenticity
2.  the idea that angels can mate with humans

I don' t know on what basis Ethiopians accept the book.  An Ethiopian Orthodox can better answer this one.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 08:27:36 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15655.0.html

Above is a thread discussing it.  As I said in reply 5 of that thread, around the time of Christ it seems to have been respected in some Christian and Jewish communities.  Something that I have noticed and seen in the Ethiopian Church is that they seem to have preserved a lot of very ancient early Christian traditions that died out elsewhere.  I guess retaining Enoch in their canon may be an example of that.

new illumined

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 11:57:51 PM »

2.  the idea that angels can mate with humans

This is the what I was refering to. From my basic understanding of Orthodoxy, The "sons of God", written in Genesis 6:2 was not fallen angels mating with human females.

But I wondered how the Ethiopian Church can explain this teaching in the book of Enoch.

As far as I understand scriptures do not support the mating of angels with humans.
And how is it possible that this book survived the flood? Was Enoch himself the author?

NI
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 03:07:12 AM »

And how is it possible that this book survived the flood? Was Enoch himself the author?

Here is Tertullian's explanation:

Chapter III. ----Concerning the Genuineness of "The Prophecy of Enoch."22

[1] I am aware that the Scripture of Enoch,23 which has assigned this order (of action) to angels, is not received by some, because it is not admitted into the Jewish canon either. I suppose they did not think that, having been published before the deluge, it could have safely survived that world-wide calamity, the abolisher of all things. If that is the reason (for rejecting it), let them recall to their memory that Noah, the survivor of the deluge, was the great-grandson of Enoch himself;24 and he, of course, had heard and remembered, from domestic renown25 and hereditary tradition, concerning his own great-grandfather's "grace in the sight of God,"26 and concerning all his preachings;27 since Enoch had given no other charge to Methuselah than that he should hand on the knowledge of them to his posterity. Noah therefore, no doubt, might have succeeded in the trusteeship of (his) preaching; or, had the case been otherwise, he would not have been silent alike concerning the disposition (of things) made by God, his Preserver, and concerning the particular glory of his own house.

[2] If (Noah) had not had this (conservative power) by so short a route, there would (still) be this (consideration) to warrant28 our assertion of (the genuineness of) this Scripture: he could equally have renewed it, under the Spirit's inspiration,29 after it had been destroyed by the violence of the deluge, as, after the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonian storming of it, every document30 of the Jewish literature is generally agreed to have been restored through Ezra.

[3] But since Enoch in the same Scripture has preached likewise concerning the Lord, nothing at all must be rejected by us which pertains to us; and we read that "every Scripture suitable for edification is divinely inspired.31 By the Jews it may now seem to have been rejected for that (very) reason, just like all the other (portions) nearly which tell of Christ. Nor, of course, is this fact wonderful, that they did not receive some Scriptures which spake of Him whom even in person, speaking in their presence, they were not to receive. To these considerations is added the fact that Enoch possesses a testimony in the Apostle Jude.

http://www.tertullian.org/anf/anf04/anf04-06.htm#P263_52051

Obviously, this wasn't a good enough explanation to satisfy most Christians, as it is not considered scripture anymore by anyone except the Ethiopians. 

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't it from this book that we get the names of the seven archangels?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 03:12:14 AM »

I think reply 6 of the following thread is what I was thinking of with respect to the names of the seven archangels coming from Enoch.  I knew it was discussed somewhere:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15419.msg220257.html#msg220257

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »

The Ethiopic book Of Enoch deserves serious discussion and is a testament of much tradition. The fact that a non Christological book of Enoch was also circulated & translated into Slavonic (the Ethiopic long lost at this time) shows the Ethiopic deserves a status perhaps like that given to the Shepard of Hermas. see also http://www.answers.com/topic/book-of-enoch
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:25:25 AM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 12:24:50 AM »

I am sorry if I repeat any information that was previously stated.

The Ethiopic version of the book of Enoch came to Ethiopia via Menyelik I, son of Mekeda of Saba according to some Ethiopian scholarly sources, others say that it came via Aba Selama [St. Frumentius, 4th Century AD] or the Nine Saints [6th Century AD].  Some say that the book of Enoch was written in 4014 BC [and that it is one of the first OT books] and was part of the Book of the History of Cush.

The 'sons of God' are not angels, but children of Henos [Henos was righteous and declared a that no one should be uncovered publicly, as were the children of Cain. He had two types of children: those that married and those that were ascetics] that had angelic abilities, why?  They practiced strict ascetism and knew many mysteries, especially those of the earth.

They were in the Holy Mountain [Debre Q'dus] and when they seen the shining faces of the daughters of Cain, they became tempted and had intercourse with them; the daughters of Cain bore children--some of them were small as rats, others were giants--up to five stories tall and some in between.  There was chaos and weapons of all sorts were made.  This is what caused God to bring a flood upon the earth.

Some consider this story [a very brief one] apocryphal, but this is the typical Ethiopic traditional interpretation of the 'sons of God'. 

Thanks for letting me post.

Sincerely,

haileamanuel

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 01:10:30 AM »

Thank you for the information.  Your posts are most welcome here.   Smiley

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 05:52:13 AM »

Wow...that is the first time I heard of a different interpretation.  Well, the interpretation is not really different, but the detailed explanation of it is excellent.  Perhaps even fits a lot of pieces into the puzzle of the story of the sinful people around Noah.

Thank you.  Smiley

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
new illumined

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 12:00:07 AM »

Thank you for your post HaileAmanuel,

I never heard the explanation is such a way before. However I still don't believe it. I think the sons of God were descendents of Seth and the daughters of women were the sons of Cain.

Thanks

NI
HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »

Hi my brothers,

I am happy if I helped and sorry that I could not help more. 
Thank you for your post HaileAmanuel,

I never heard the explanation is such a way before. However I still don't believe it. I think the sons of God were descendents of Seth and the daughters of women were the sons of Cain.

Thanks

NI

Don't worry, (H)enos(h) is the son of Seth [Genesis 4:26; 1 Chronicles 1:1; Luke 3:38] and the daughters of men are the children of Cain who conceived the children of the 'sons of God' [Genesis 6:1-4; Psalm 82:6; John 10:34].  

In the Introduction to the Miracles of Mary [Te'a'mer Mariam/Ethiopic text], it states, "who is able to comprehend the state of Her virginity [St. Mary's], for in the days of old, even the angels [i.e. the sons of God] left their former state and lusted after the daughters of men [Cain's daughters]..."

Because this was the age of the primordial man and the early era of the OT, females were focused on as the bearers of the downfall.  Of course, men and women sinned alike, but the women typically received the 'public' blame. All of Cain's descendants were referred to as lewd and we can see here that the sons of God themselves allowed lust to be brewed within the kettles of their tempted hearts, therefore, they had intercourse with those females.

Thanks be to God that our Lady, the Holy Virgin Mary was chosen and accepted the message, "Rejoice You who are full of grace, the Lord is with you!"  In times past it was, "Because you have done this horrible deed, you will be subject to your husband and bring forth children in pain and sorrow..."

Thanks for letting me post again.

Sincerely in Christ our Lord,

haileamanuel

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
new illumined

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 11:09:15 PM »

Thank you again, HaileAmanuel

I just misread your previous post and previously posted in error.  Thanks for clearing that up.
I understand what you are saying

NI
Hiywot

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »

A New Testament author, Jude, quotes from the Book of Enoch and says: “...And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon all ...” Jude 1:14-15.

Based on the verses quoted above, please allow me to raise three questions to those who believe that the Book of Enoch is not authentic.

1. Was Jude wrong in quoting the Book of Enoch?
2. Could the Book of Jude remain authentic while quoting a non-authentic source?
3. What general implications could this have for the Bible that we have accepted as the Word of God?

Thanks,

Hiywot
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 12:41:43 PM »

What general implications could this have for the Bible that we have accepted as the Word of God?

I don't see that it's a problem. Paul quotes pagan writers (e.g. 1 Corinthians 15:33; Titus 1:12) and Jewish oral tradition (2 Timothy 3:8-9), for example. And other books of the Bible quote non-canonical literature (e.g. Jos. 10:12-13).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:42:33 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Hiywot

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 05:45:25 AM »

Asteriktos! Yes Paul have quoted other sources for the people just to beat them with their own whip. Many preachers of our own time also do the same. As you have mentioned (Jos.) there are quotes of other historical documents as well in the bible. The book of Kings I and II have quoted other "Book of chronicles of the kings of Israel" (I Kings 11:41, 14:29, 16:14; II Kings 1:18, 10:34, 14:28, etc.). And again modern preachers also do the same. But Jude's quote is totally different.

Jude quoted a prophecy!! A true prophecy!!

Jude quoted it believing that it was the Word of God and he quoted it in the book of the Word of God.

How on earth could an apostle of Jesus take a prophecy from a book that is deemed non-authentic and expect other Christians to believe it as a true prophecy? Yes! the Book of Enoch must be authentic.

Regards,

Hiywot
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 10:13:48 PM »

Accepting or rejecting the book of Enoch is not an issue really and I do not believe it should be the basis for any rift.

I believe that the book of Isaiah is inspired by God, but it is fully contained in the Gospel of John and the rest of the scripture. Should the any of the Gospels be eliminated from the canon of scripture or if it would have been dropped in the fourth century for any reason, it would still be contained in all the other books.

I believe the difference between Christianity and Islam (or Judaism in their narrow understanding of scripture) is that our Bible is not a layer of papers like their books. It reflects the image of Christ in 72 books, and this image could be contained in the book of Enoch as well. If our dear brethren the Ethiopian have it in their canon or if we reject, the image of Christ is carved in all the other books.

For the point of angels mating with humans that is raised continuously to attack the integrity of the book:

It does not make "sense" according to modern scientific ways, but what does really make "sense" ? Does the incarnation make sense ? Does the transfiguration abide by natural laws?

I am not sure about the authenticity of the book or not, but I do not think that an ever changing point of reference like science or "common sense" should be the measure against the absolute.

Now, is there a complete on line copy in English, German or Arabic?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:14:28 PM by Stavro » Logged

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »

Now, is there a complete on line copy in English, German or Arabic?

http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/enoch.html

ebpusey

Faith: Anglican Catholic

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 01:44:44 AM »

I accept the interpretation of the sons of God and the daughters of men but the text of the Book of Enoch leads me to ask that if the sons of God are simply the sons of Seth, Enos, etc. why is there so much stress on the fallen Watchers (Azazel and so forth) who do apparently take wives from the human populace?  In fact, the text states that the Watchers were the ones who introduced weaponry, astrology, and other arts to mankind, specifically their wives. I'm a tad confused on this point and admit I could be misreading the text.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »

Here is some info on amazon re the Anglican Archbishop Richard Laurence 19th c translation of the book of Enoch. http://www.amazon.com/Book-Enoch-Complete-Lawrence-Translation/dp/0934666067 I have this particular edition from wizard publ. There is an excellent intro by 19th c American Protestant scholar Lyman Abbot w/ paralells to the New Testament. There is a post script taken from the occultic M. Blavatsky in this edition (well the publ are occult) which is useless in an otherwise good publication. Not trying to advertise just thougt the link can be useful.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:10:46 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Hiywot

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 10:34:40 AM »

I like the following comment.

“Jude quotes from this book. It is interesting that many of the early church fathers (Theodotes, Origen, Tertullian, etc.) quote from it and consider it as scripture......Peter gets his details regarding the "angels that sinned" being cast into Tartarus from Enoch. Nowhere is this particular detail about the Genesis 6 "sons of God" mentioned in our Bible. Also, when Jesus describes "Abraham's bosom", His description either was directly from God, or from the book of Enoch, because Enoch describes the underworld in exactly the same way. Another interesting thing is that Enoch said the angels that sinned were to be judged after 70 generations. It is exactly 70 generations from Enoch to Jesus according to the gospel of Luke......”

Hiywot
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 01:27:42 AM »

Haile Amanuel & Hiywot:
My brothers, can you help clarify a question? It seems that our book of Enoch teaches that the Nephilim were the offspring of the fallen angels (watchers) and the daughters of men. But I read in our Synaxarium (Tir 06) that the giants were the offspring of the children of seth and the children of Cain. I am a bit confused. I wish to give the proper explanation of this matter according to the teaching of our EOTC Church. Can you help explain this matter to me? Thank you very much!
Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Hiywot

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »

Brother Gebre Menfes Kidus,

As you may very well know, our church has the “ANDIMTA” way of interpreting holy scriptures, liturgies, hymns, etc. This way of interpretation has been used by Tewahido scholars (Liqawunt) beginning from around the fourth and fifth century A.D. In this way of interpretation, one statement from a holy book could, sometimes, be given more than one possible (optional) interpretations. The “ANDIMTA” tradition is a very interesting scholarly tradition in Tewahido school “Guba’e Bet” which I would like you to explore further, if, of course, you have the time.

According to my oral sources, in the “ANDIMTA” of the “watchers” of the book of Enoch, the watchers are “Andim fallen angels” literally (Bequmu), “Andim the children of Seth (Deqiqe Seth).  The Andimta describes and gives weight to the fact that the fallen angels were the children of Seth. Our synaxarium and other birana sources also prove this. Therefore, most of Tewahido scholars take the fallen angels as “Deqiqe Seth”.

Why are the children of Seth called as fallen angels?

The children of Seth, who were of the children of Adam, dwelt on the mountain, high up (Debr Qidus), while they preserved their virginity, their innocence and their glory like angels; and were then called 'angels of God.' But when they transgressed and mingled with the children of Cain, and begat children, many mistakenly said, that angels had come down from heaven, and mingled with the daughters of men. Angels, who are spirits, can not be found committing sin with human beings. This can never happen. If such a thing were of the nature of angels, or satan, that fell, they would not leave one woman on earth, undefiled.

Kind Regards,

Hiywot
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 01:29:01 AM »

As you may very well know, our church has the “ANDIMTA” way of interpreting holy scriptures, liturgies, hymns, etc. This way of interpretation has been used by Tewahido scholars (Liqawunt) beginning from around the fourth and fifth century A.D. In this way of interpretation, one statement from a holy book could, sometimes, be given more than one possible (optional) interpretations. The “ANDIMTA” tradition is a very interesting scholarly tradition in Tewahido school “Guba’e Bet” which I would like you to explore further, if, of course, you have the time.

According to my oral sources, in the “ANDIMTA” of the “watchers” of the book of Enoch, the watchers are “Andim fallen angels” literally (Bequmu), “Andim the children of Seth (Deqiqe Seth).  The Andimta describes and gives weight to the fact that the fallen angels were the children of Seth. Our synaxarium and other birana sources also prove this. Therefore, most of Tewahido scholars take the fallen angels as “Deqiqe Seth”.

Why are the children of Seth called as fallen angels?

The children of Seth, who were of the children of Adam, dwelt on the mountain, high up (Debr Qidus), while they preserved their virginity, their innocence and their glory like angels; and were then called 'angels of God.' But when they transgressed and mingled with the children of Cain, and begat children, many mistakenly said, that angels had come down from heaven, and mingled with the daughters of men. Angels, who are spirits, can not be found committing sin with human beings. This can never happen. If such a thing were of the nature of angels, or satan, that fell, they would not leave one woman on earth, undefiled.

Kind Regards,

Hiywot

Thank you my brother! That is very helpful. I am going to try to learn more about the "Andimta" tradition and the school of "Guba'e Bet." Can you provide an English translation of these terms? Also, I would love to explore and study these scholarly traditions further. Are there any books in English that I can  buy that deal with these topics? I would love to read them.

Am I correct in understanding that our Church allows for two possible interpretations of the Nephilim? I don't want to be incorrect.

By the way, in the posts topic of "Orthodox Movies," someone has said that our EOTC is featured in the movie The Exorcist II: The Heretic. I have not seen this movie, have you? They said that Archbishop Yesehaq was shown in the movie. I wanted to know if I should see it. What do you think?

Thank you again for your very helpful responses. May God bless you during this fast of Nineveh!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Hiywot

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 08:18:35 AM »

I don’t know how to correctly name “Andimta” and “Guba’e Bet” in English. That is why I preferred to mention them as they are. The books I use at home are written either in Amharic or Ge’ez. I can not give you a list of references written in English. I was even surprised when I see the summary of the hagiography of Abune Gebre-menfeskidus of Ziquala that you posted in another trade in this forum, because, here, in Ethiopia, it is difficult to find English versions of Tewahido books. Was that your own translation?

As long as my knowledge goes, the Andimta tradition, for sure, allows two possible interpretations in which the most accepted one prevails.

I don’t know about the movie you mentioned and I did not see it and I, personally, don’t see anything wrong in seeing anything you wanted to see either to learn from it or to analyze it.

Kind regards,

Hiywot
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 06:02:09 PM »

I don’t know how to correctly name “Andimta” and “Guba’e Bet” in English. That is why I preferred to mention them as they are. The books I use at home are written either in Amharic or Ge’ez. I can not give you a list of references written in English. I was even surprised when I see the summary of the hagiography of Abune Gebre-menfeskidus of Ziquala that you posted in another trade in this forum, because, here, in Ethiopia, it is difficult to find English versions of Tewahido books. Was that your own translation?

As long as my knowledge goes, the Andimta tradition, for sure, allows two possible interpretations in which the most accepted one prevails.

I don’t know about the movie you mentioned and I did not see it and I, personally, don’t see anything wrong in seeing anything you wanted to see either to learn from it or to analyze it.

Kind regards,

Hiywot

Thank you brother Hiywot. (By the way, can you translate your name for me?)

I found an English translation of the Ethiopian Synaxarium at Ethiopain Orthodox Tewahedo Church Books Online. This is where the hagiography of St. Gebre Menfes Kidus came from.
(http://www.eotcbooks.com)

Selam

Hiywot

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 07:57:33 AM »

Dear Gebre Menfes Kidus,

Thank you for the link. Hiywot means "life".

Hiywot
hailemaryam

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »

As far as I am concerned, our Church teaches us that all the 12 apostles including Apostle Jude, were guided by the Holy Spirit. And their understanding of the Spiritual world changed after the descent of the Holy Spirit on them. They became PERFECT in knowledge.

Then who are 'WE' trying to be 'more Christian' than Jude, the apostle of Christ?
We received the message about Resurrection of our Lord through them.
Then what will be our guarantee that Resurrection, will not be questioned some generations from now?
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 04:51:58 PM »

Welcome to the forum! 

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »

It is my understanding that the Book of Enoch is used in the Ethiopian orthodox church. How is it that the Orthodox Christians reject this book and by what basis?

Uh...... what?

"The Book of Enoch is used in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church"

and

"the Orthodox Christians reject this book"

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 09:01:57 PM »

As far as I am concerned, our Church teaches us that all the 12 apostles including Apostle Jude, were guided by the Holy Spirit. And their understanding of the Spiritual world changed after the descent of the Holy Spirit on them. They became PERFECT in knowledge.

Then who are 'WE' trying to be 'more Christian' than Jude, the apostle of Christ?
Then what will be our guarantee that Resurrection, will not be questioned some generations from now?

The question is that of authenticity.  That is the primary concern of our church.  Yes, the Book of Enoch was quoted by St. Jude, but how do we know that the book of Enoch we have is the same one as the one St. Jude had?

Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 12:56:05 PM »

The question is that of authenticity.  That is the primary concern of our church.  Yes, the Book of Enoch was quoted by St. Jude, but how do we know that the book of Enoch we have is the same one as the one St. Jude had?
I think you can verify its authenticity[the book's autheticity] from the history of the Ethiopian church and the history of the country. As far as I know Ethiopia has been the only country which has been practising  both Judaism as ancient Israel before the coming of Christ and of course Christianity after the Resurrection of Christ as  the other ancient Christian world did. So, one can definitely come to the conclusion that the church's claim about the book of Henok is authentic.

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
hailemaryam

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »

I got a researcher, John P. Pratt, who made an outstanding deep insight for long time showing how the Book of Enoch was just a forerunner of The Beloved Gospel, just like other prophesies.
just follow the link,
http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/lds/meridian/2001/enoch_cal.html#3

Sincerely in Christ
Ioannes

Faith: Orthodox

The end is now.

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 11:20:56 PM »

The book of Enoch was not kept out of the canon because of the contents, in fact many early church fathers, including St. Clement of Alexandria, believed in what it said. The reason was because they did not know if it was valid, but now that we have authentic copies stemming back to the Ethiopian jews, we can validate it.

Here are some other evidences. St. Jude quotes directly from the book of Enoch, so if you reject the book of Enoch, then you must reject Jude. Also in 2 Pet. 2:4 there is a clear reference to those angels who "left heaven" and have been chained until the judgment, satan and his angels were not bound up until the judgment. The most damning is Gen. 6. This verse is so misinterpreted it is absurd, the words used are "Sons of God" came unto the daughters of men, the women then had children who were giants. Sons of God is commonly interpreted as being the line of Cain, as if two humans can produce giants. In the hebrew the word for "Sons of God" is "Bene Ha Elohim" and is ONLY ever used to refer to divine beings throughout the OT. When humans are referred to as "sons of God" the hebrew reads "Bene Elohim". Very distinct differences, clearly showing us that the "line of Cain" argument is bogus.

A host of the early church fathers accepted this and even wrote about it, as mentioned before St. Clement of Alexandria as well as St. Clement of Rome, Tertullian, etc. Understanding the book of Enoch is key in understanding what happened in our past. For instance around the world the ancient cultures all believed in several gods, hundreds, thousands, or even millions, as in the hindu tradition. The majority of these cultures built monuments that are astoundingly close to perfection, aligned astronomically with precision and are mathematical symphonies. History, science, and religion have yet to give any logical explanation for this. Again, the book of Enoch is the key to understanding this, and the importance of this is irrefutable. As in the days of Noah, so shall it be in the coming of the Lord." Mt 24:37 If we understand this, it is another sign that shows us the time is near.

PredanijeSP

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »

Is it true that Pilate is a saint in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church after having a conversion?

"Share everything with your brother. Do not say 'it is private property'. If you share what is everlasting, you should be willing to share that much more the things that do not last".
-the Didache
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 12:16:57 AM »

Is it true that Pilate is a saint in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church after having a conversion?

Welcome to the forum!

We had a thread on Pontius Pilate and the Ethiopian Church a while ago:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,6505.0.html

Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church Canon of scriptures angels archangels Book of Enoch nephilim OO Canon of Scripture Enoch 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: