OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:48:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a "Sanctuary"?  (Read 754 times) Average Rating: 0
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« on: November 17, 2008, 11:38:18 PM »

So, I was reading a topic (that has recently been locked) called "Women in the Sanctuary."

And now I'm very confused on terminology. I think the poster who asked the question referred to the area behind the iconostasis as "the sanctuary."

Now, as an Orthodox convert coming from a western church background, this use of terminology is bewildering. When you enter a western church and talk about the "sanctuary" you're talking about the place where the laity or churchgoers sit. In other words, you worship in the "sanctuary." As opposed to the Fellowship Hall, or the Kitchen, or the other areas of a church building that are not intended for worship.

As for that part up at the front of an Orthodox Church where only the priest and altar boys go, I've only referred to it as "that area behind the iconostasis" or even "the altar".

Is "sanctuary" really the correct word here for English speakers?
FodderJohn

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:50:24 PM »

The sanctuary is indeed the area behind the iconostasis and the area where the faithful sit/stand is called the nave.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:54:24 PM »

Welcome to the forum FodderJohn!!! username! section moderator

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 03:03:59 AM »

Yes, the area behind the iconostasis is the sanctuary.  Only non-liturgical Protestant churches call the worship area the sanctuary.  Orthodox, Anglicans, Roman Catholics and High Church Lutherans would call it the Nave (as from Navy - a ship, because the church is the Ark of Salvation, riding the stormy seas of life).  Sometimes, western churches call the sanctuary area the "chancel".  They also frequently call the entrance way the Vestibule instead of the Narthex.
Tags: altar sanctuary iconostasis 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: