OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 08:15:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Home Daycare  (Read 2011 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: November 17, 2008, 06:40:54 PM »

I've been kicking around the idea of starting a daycare in my home.  For those who have childcare experience, do you have any advice or encouragement?  I believe I have everything to start out except for the kids.  Smiley 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:50:06 PM »

So all your i's are dotted and t's are crossed with the State of Missouri?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »

Have another mom do it with you. Then if your child is sick, you can trade off homes. That is the hardest part of in home care is when the child of the caregiver is sick. You can't just keep your child isolated and you can't get someone to take care of your sick kid so that you can care for your "well" kids. But it is rather easy to have a mom on call that doesn't work fulltime doing care to fill in for you. This also allows for vacations and such.

Draw up your guidelines and KEEP THEM;

Mandatory pick up times
Earliest drop off times
Fines for violating the above (like $25 for every 15 minutes outside pickup time)
Sick child policy (Like 3 loose stools in a 24 hour period, and they can't be in care until 24 hours after a fever over 101 has cleared and the like.)
Have a curriculum and daily schedule. (even with a 6mth old you can have songs and lessons)
Have forms to sign about food and such (What they have eaten, policy on juice/water, finger foods. Basically it will outline what they are doing at home so that you can mirror it)
Daily menu for children in your care
Strict age ranges (like you want a child to be at least "x" age to come, I like 3 months personally, and the upper limit should be around 4-5)
Have clipboards for each child, even Cait and detail diaper changes, feedings and how much, little accomplishments for the day, naps ect.

The above will make life much easier even though it sounds quite anal.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:12:22 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 07:04:55 PM »

And expect that you will get sick the first month or so. This happens while you build up your immunity. You are used to Cait's germs, but you aren't used to the germs from other kids. You will get a really nasty cold.

And ask for immunization records. If a child in your care isn't immunized for something then you need to  know about it. Chicken pox is the best example of this. If you have some kids vaxed and others that aren't this can spell disaster. Some kids have a mild case of chicken pox after they are vaccinated and the kids that aren't vaccinated can catch it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:14:54 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 07:07:06 PM »

Oh! You also need insurance information and consent for care in case of an emergency. This is a list of the child's doctor, a photocopy of the insurance card and a form that allows you to take a child in for care in case of emergency. These are absolutely vital forms to have in your possession.

And it is always good to have a piece of paper listing allergies, even if it just says "none."
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:09:10 PM by Quinault » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »

And it is always good to have a piece of paper listing allergies, even if it just says "none."

You must ask this question; if you don't, and you "discover" an allergy, they can allege that they knew about it, and take you to court.  Even if they don't win, it costs you too much.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 08:04:09 PM »

Draw up your guidelines and KEEP THEM;

Develop a contract for all parties to sign.

Examples: http://www.daycarematch.com/resources_forms.asp
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:31:34 PM »

Thank you all for your input!  So far, I have made up a contract, daily report sheets for diaper changings and feedings, a health record sheet, menus, and activity lists.  I'll have to update the papers so allergy info is to be written in on each page, though, that's a good idea.  I did make a pretty detailed contract (based on the one we signed when we put Cait in her current daycare) which has all manner of detailed drop off times, late policies and fees, etc. 

As far as the state goes, I don't have to be licensed to do childcare but I am working toward that.  Even though I'm not licensed, I do intend to adhere to the same state standards, e.g. ratios (which is no more than 4 children per adult), meals, bedding, and everything else. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 07:36:44 PM »

My mom did in-home daycare when we were little (one of my earliest memories is reading a book to a little baby we had at our home in Indiana, and we left there when I was under 4 years old). I could ask her for any advice she has if you like. Smiley

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »

^Thanks, that would be great! 

My biggest problem right now is getting any interest drummed up.

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 08:06:15 PM »

Have you thought of calling Christine? I don't know what she is doing with Abby while they are at work, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Also talk to Father, or Jean. I bet one or then other of them could send people your way. Cheesy

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »

^I had thought of it but I haven't seen her in ages.  Matt is on Facebook once in a while, so maybe I'll track them down there.  Good idea!

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 08:06:15 PM »

It's all about networking. Wink

Tags: childcare daycare 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: