OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 11:52:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent Fast  (Read 2149 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: November 15, 2008, 08:23:15 AM »

I am not yet Orthodox and am wanting to celebrate the Advent Fast, but I don't know if I should do it the new Calendar way or the Old Calendar way. I have looked up the differences, but the information I have found is confusing and seems to tell me that there is a lot of politics to it. Does it really matter, because I have no clue. I am wanting to celebrate some type of fasting, as I used to be RCC, but I don't believe as they do, so.... Huh Undecided Since I'm not orthodox, but am wanting to convert, are the rules of the fasting still binding?
I am used to thinking of Christmas being on the 25th, if that helps the situation, but I dunno.... Undecided
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 08:25:32 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:01:52 AM »

^ The New Calendar fast begins today and ends on Dec. 25th. The Old Calendar fast begins on Nov. 27th and ends on their Nativity, Jan. 7. If you're going to celebrate the Old Calendar fast, you should go to an Old Calendar church for their nativity. If there is no such church around you, I'd suggest participating in the New Calendar fast.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:16:10 PM »

Fasting should be done under the guidance of a Priest.  He will help decide the nature of your fast as an inquirer.  When I first started investigating Orthodoxy, my Priest actually encouraged that at first I retain the RC style of fasting that I followed (Benedictine style) and as I experienced more fasts, slowly shaping my practices until they became more Byzantine.

Which calendar you follow should be based more around the parish you decide to attend.  A New Calendar parish means, like ytterbiumanalyst said, you would be celebrating Christmas on the 25th of December on the civil calendar.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:59:03 PM »

^ The New Calendar fast begins today and ends on Dec. 25th. The Old Calendar fast begins on Nov. 27th and ends on their Nativity, Jan. 7. If you're going to celebrate the Old Calendar fast, you should go to an Old Calendar church for their nativity. If there is no such church around you, I'd suggest participating in the New Calendar fast.

A fast is a fast; Why is there a distinction between Old Calendar and New Calendar fasting?  Does selecting a fast commit someone to New or Old Calendar Churches?  I don't think so!   Smiley

Do we even know why Myrrh23 would ask about Old Calendar fasting styles (AFAIK, they are no different from New Calendar fasting styles)?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 01:06:29 PM »

I'd agree with what others have said here: it depends on the parish that you're attending (or might be attending). Orthodoxy is, above all, a corporate thing, it's not really something to be doing on your own. Of course, you can do it on your own if that's just where you're at in your spiritual walk, but it's really not the best bet (nor biblical). I say this not to judge anyone, I'm just trying to emphasise getting to liturgy to be among other similarly-minded/practicing people.

Do we even know why Myrrh23 would ask about Old Calendar fasting styles (AFAIK, they are no different from New Calendar fasting styles)?

Because she was curious, one would presume. Smiley I think the calendar issue can be confusing, even for someone who has been Orthodox for a while (let alone an inquirer). I know that I still have problems calculating the dates for some days and have to sit down and really think about things to get it right.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 04:51:43 PM »

As to the rules of fasting: what we eat, what we don't eat, on what days are we allowed to eat certain foods; they don't differ at all between New Calendar and Old Calendar churches.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »

I'd agree with what others have said here: it depends on the parish that you're attending (or might be attending). Orthodoxy is, above all, a corporate thing, it's not really something to be doing on your own. Of course, you can do it on your own if that's just where you're at in your spiritual walk, but it's really not the best bet (nor biblical). I say this not to judge anyone, I'm just trying to emphasise getting to liturgy to be among other similarly-minded/practicing people.

I see! Thanks for the good advice and instruction! Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 10:22:07 AM »

Dear to Christ, Myrrh23,

I concur with what those above have said. You should follow the observance practices of your local Orthodox Church with whom you are fellowshipping with at this time.  If you are and active inquior or catechumen, you would follow the direction of your priest.  If you have not formalized your position, The Nativity Lent often called Advent is a perfect time to look at your  formally making a commitment as an inquior or catechumen.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »

Why do you suggest that? 

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 05:40:54 PM »

It's best that you become a member in a Orthodox church before you begin to fast. Sometimes fasting can do more harm than good. It is a spiritual tool not to be taken lightly.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:43:05 PM »

Why do you suggest that? 

I think it should be obvious - you can celebrate Christmas with everyone else.  Unless all your relatives are Orthodox and on the Old Calendar, this fast/season is the hardest for most Orthodox in America.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »

Unless all your relatives are Orthodox and on the Old Calendar, this fast/season is the hardest for most Orthodox in America.
Actually it makes it easier to fast. "Sorry had to throw that in". Wink

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 07:24:24 AM »

Why do you suggest that? 
Because the whole point of the fast is to celebrate Christmas, and the way to celebrate Christmas is in the Church. So whenever your parish or a parish in communion with yours located near your relatives celebrates Christmas, celebrate it with them. There's no point in fasting differently from all the other Christians around you.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:25:25 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags: fasting nativity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: