OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 10:00:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UN Freedom of Religion Conference-sponsered by Saudi Arabia?  (Read 747 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »

This might get moved to the political forum, given my ideas on the matter, but:

There is right now a UN conference of freedom of religion, which is identified as being sponsered by the Saudis.  As there is NO freedom of religion, even if you are a devout Muslim, I wonder what that's all about.

Pres. Bush just gave a speech in which he mentioned the US sponsoring freedom of religion in Kosovo (and the Serbian, and ALBANIAN Christians?), Afghanistan (remember Abdurrahman a few years back?), and Iraq (who's murdering the Assyrian, Chaldean and other Christians?).

Is it freedom of religion for everyone except Christians? 

Any thoughts?

My thoughts expressed by a cooler head:
The Saudis' dubious interfaith agenda at the UN
The country's lack of religious freedom betrays its lofty rhetoric. The real aim of its 'dialogue' is to promote a global blasphemy law.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1113/p09s02-coop.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:13:35 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:26:34 PM »

This might get moved to the political forum, given my ideas on the matter, but:

There is right now a UN conference of freedom of religion, which is identified as being sponsered by the Saudis.  As there is NO freedom of religion, even if you are a devout Muslim, I wonder what that's all about.

Pres. Bush just gave a speech in which he mentioned the US sponsoring freedom of religion in Kosovo (and the Serbian, and ALBANIAN Christians?), Afghanistan (remember Abdurrahman a few years back?), and Iraq (who's murdering the Assyrian, Chaldean and other Christians?).

Is it freedom of religion for everyone except Christians? 

Any thoughts?

My thoughts expressed by a cooler head:
The Saudis' dubious interfaith agenda at the UN
The country's lack of religious freedom betrays its lofty rhetoric. The real aim of its 'dialogue' is to promote a global blasphemy law.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1113/p09s02-coop.html
Back when I was practicing Muslim, I was taken aback at just how much money the Sa'udi gov't spends on da'wah- proselytizing/propagating their brand of Islam.  It's truly staggering.

As for the OP, I'll believe them when they open up Mecca for everyone.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:36:19 PM »

It would be a start to let American chaplains to wear crosses.

I was just looking a little on the linked threads, and it made me think of something not on topic but relevant: al-Jazirah TV broadcasts Arab Christians.  I've seen them interview Arab Christians at Churches in Paris and elsewhere.  It is one of the few accesses to Christianity available in Saudi Arabia.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: