Author Topic: The Proper Behavior  (Read 11936 times)

Offline Myrrh23

• OC.net guru
The Proper Behavior
« on: November 13, 2008, 04:31:13 AM »
If someone, whether he is Muslim or not, asks you what parts about Islam you like and dislike, is it proper to tell them that you don't like the Islamic aspect of Muhammed because you think he's a pedophile? You would be being honest, but would you be doing something anti-Christian somehow by calling a man very much revered by Faithful Muslims a pedophile? What is the proper behavior here? :-\
Sorry if this is in the wrong section! :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:33:44 AM by Myrrh23 »
*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
Re: The Proper Behavior
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:39:23 AM »
"We all have a black dog and a white dog inside of us. The one you feed the most eventually eats the other."
“Find the door of your heart, and you will discover it is the door to the kingdom of God.” - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 07:29:52 AM »
I don't think there's much of a problem, as long as you aren't puposely trying to be disrespectful. If they asked, they should be prepared for an answer they might not like, I would think.
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Nyssa The Hobbit

• Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
  • Elder
    • Who is this Nyssa person, anyway?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »
I'd avoid bringing up the pedophile bit.   :-X
Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
Myrrh,

I second OFQ's thoughts, afterall, despite what some hadith allude to (remember not all Muslims believe/accept the same hadith), the evidence that Muhammad was a pedophile is inconclusive.  And even if the age difference was as great as some hadith say, it's not a great idea to judge 6th century Arabian culture by 21st century Western culture standards.  Instead, you could use the opportunity to talk about the Fall and then the restorative/salvific nature of Christ.  Juxtapose that with Islam's legal system and you could really get someone thinking.  I'd try to avoid getting into an arguement though. 

In Christ,
Gabriel 
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »
What Gabriel said. I would perhaps simply say that I do not know enough about Islam to have any opinion; as Muslims themselves say, there are innumerable versions and interpretations of Islam, so that makes it even harder to judge.
Love never fails.

Offline GiC

• Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:57:39 PM »
Saying that Mohammed liked to (insert anglo-saxon term for 'copulate with') little kids is certainly true and has great shock value...but probably isn't the best way to get yourself taken seriously my a Mohammedan. If for some reason that's beyond me you actually want to be taken seriously by them I'd focus on the bigger question that makes his pedophilia objectionable to us today in 21st century western society. Focus on the problem with Islam is its inability to evolve and embrace the changing mores and philosophies of modern society. The fact that Mohammedans are enslaved for 6th century morals, legal systems, and schools of thought makes it repulsive and dangerous to a member of our society.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »
^^Ambassador Caustic has arrived.  Get ready for mass demonstrations...
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »
Saying that Mohammed liked to (insert anglo-saxon term for 'copulate with') little kids is certainly true and has great shock value...but probably isn't the best way to get yourself taken seriously my a Mohammedan.
Nor is calling him a "Mohammedan."  They're testy about that now (wasn't always the case).  Sort of like liberals with "liberal."

If for some reason that's beyond me you actually want to be taken seriously by them I'd focus on the bigger question that makes his pedophilia objectionable to us today in 21st century western society.
Is it?  I remember that I thought NAMBLA was a joke, until I came across them lobbying congress when I worked there.

Focus on the problem with Islam is its inability to evolve and embrace the changing mores and philosophies of modern society. The fact that Mohammedans are enslaved for 6th century morals, legal systems, and schools of thought makes it repulsive and dangerous to a member of our society.
How about focus on the problem with Islam and its inabilty to embrace the mores and philosophies of the Christian 6th century?

I'd avoid Muhammad's pedophilia: neither you nor the Muslim will gain from bringing it up, and there is no good way to bring it up with a Muslim.  You'd agrevate them to no good.  You could bring up Muslim child brides etc, and the market in them. e.g. among India muslims basically marketing their daughters to Gulf Arabs.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:39:29 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth