Author Topic: Russian Church To Set Up Vigilante Groups  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
Russian Church To Set Up Vigilante Groups
« on: November 25, 2008, 07:13:48 PM »
The Russian Orthodox Church is planning to set up vigilante groups to impose civic order in towns and villages, a church spokesman was quoted as saying in the Kommersant daily on Friday.

"There are quite a few bands that are quite literally enslaving the life of streets, districts, small towns, villages," the spokesman, Father Vsevolod Chaplin, told the newspaper...

For the rest of the story go to: Russian Church To Set Up Vigilante Groups

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Russian Church To Set Up Vigilante Groups
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 07:54:38 PM »
The last line of the article reads:

"Orthodoxy has flourished in Russia since the collapse of the Soviet Union and is increasingly influential in political and economic life. Orthodox nationalist groups have held rallies in Moscow against homosexuality."

They just had to get that in there, even though it had nothing to do the rest of the story.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:18:17 PM »
^Well, why else would you set up vigilante groups, if not to directly combat the rising tide of homosexuals that have just suddenly appeared in the past 20 years?
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »
Isn't this what they do in Afganistan? I think they call it the "Taliban" there.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 01:02:46 PM »
^Well, why else would you set up vigilante groups, if not to directly combat the rising tide of homosexuals that have just suddenly appeared in the past 20 years?
Homosexuals have only been around for twenty years? Is that what you're really trying to say?
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:16:11 PM »
Is it possible that perhaps vigilance, rather than vigilante, groups are being formed? Not that that necessarily dispells suspicion. Perhaps a mistranslation occurred in the media.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:18:14 PM by recent convert »
Antiochian OC N.A.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »
Homosexuals have only been around for twenty years? Is that what you're really trying to say?

Homosexuality was more than taboo in the old Soviet regime, it was illegal and there were tough punishments against those caught.  Since the Soviet Union has been gone now for 20 years, the freedoms for homosexuals to practice without fear of (government) retribution are fairly novel.

Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 04:16:07 PM »

Homosexuality was more than taboo in the old Soviet regime, it was illegal and there were tough punishments against those caught.  Since the Soviet Union has been gone now for 20 years, the freedoms for homosexuals to practice without fear of (government) retribution are fairly novel.
Interesting. I was unaware of this.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens