OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 12:33:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egyptians Protest Doctor's 1,500-Lash Sentence in Saudi Arabia  (Read 1902 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 11, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »

Egyptians Protest Doctor's 1,500-Lash Sentence in Saudi Arabia

Demonstrators in Cairo demanded Tuesday that Saudi Arabia release an Egyptian doctor sentenced to 15 years in prison and 1,500 lashes after he was convicted of malpractice — reportedly after treating a Saudi princess.

His wife said she feared the punishment would kill him.

Raouf Amin el-Arabi, a doctor who has been serving the Saudi royal family for about 20 years, was convicted last year of giving a patient the wrong medication. Egyptian newspapers reported that he was accused of driving a Saudi princess "to addiction."

He initially was sentenced to seven years in prison and 700 lashes, but when he appealed two months ago, the judge not only upheld the conviction, but more than doubled the penalty to 15 years in prison and 1,500 lashes...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »

Yikes.  What a backwards place.  And we think that the Iranians are crazy...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:11:59 PM »

He initially was sentenced to seven years in prison and 700 lashes, but when he appealed two months ago, the judge not only upheld the conviction, but more than doubled the penalty to 15 years in prison and 1,500 lashes...
What? So appealing the decision is worse than the actual crime? Yikes.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:33:30 PM »

From the article, I don't read much of anything save for the doctor's wife's insistence, that he was innocent of the charges against him.  Still, 1500 lashes and 15 years.  Why not just kick him out of the country and forbid him from practicing medicine?  Methinks there is something else going on...perhaps more scandalous that the Saudi royal family doesn't want the world to know about.  Just a guess.  That's the conspiracy theorist in me.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:34:20 PM »

From the article, I don't read much of anything save for the doctor's wife's insistence, that he was innocent of the charges against him.  Still, 1500 lashes and 15 years.  Why not just kick him out of the country and forbid him from practicing medicine?  Methinks there is something else going on...perhaps more scandalous that the Saudi royal family doesn't want the world to know about.  Just a guess.  That's the conspiracy theorist in me. 

Well, they've given you every reason to think that.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:41:57 PM »

I remember hearing that a sentence of lashings could be broken up into increments over a period of time - say a perfectly moderate and reasonable amount of 250 or 500 every week or two?  Does anyone know if this is correct or not?  That would certainly show how reasonable Sharia law is, wouldn't it?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:50:26 PM »

Apparently (ie. according to the article) he's getting 70 lashes per week...
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 12:26:41 AM »

Why does anyone go to that ridiculous place to work for these people?....Oh yeah, now I remember.... the money....
But in the end, is it really worth selling yourself to them?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 01:05:58 AM »

Hey, when they come to NE Ohio and dump their money for the world's best heart care, they don't lash anyone.

---------------------
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 11:54:19 PM »

Another weird one: Moroccan Teen Convicted of Picking Soccer Over King
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 12:56:48 AM »

Very valid points.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »

Now there's an appointment to dread: "I'm here for my weekly lashing.  When do we start?"   Shocked

You know, it would be scary enough to be a doctor responsible for proscribing the correct medication for the correct diagnosis but when you're threatened with incremental beatings if you mess up... look out Dr. House.  No "try something until it works" for you!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 01:59:54 PM »

Well... I got to give this guy credit - he's "dishonored" the king, and he's worried about karate.

---------------------
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: