Author Topic: Cults  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Bogoliubtsy

• Archon
Cults
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:52:38 AM »
From National Geographic, I believe- documentary on a modern cult with Michael Travesser at its head. He claims to be the Messiah.

He proclaimed that the world would end October 31st, 2007. Don't know what they're up to now.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGhwvpsNTPg

Check out the beginning of Part II as well to hear about how the cult leader was forced by God to consummate his relationship with another cult member's wife. Wow... almost funny if it wasn't so sad.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:02:19 AM by Bogoliubtsy »
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
Re: Cults
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 09:56:29 AM »
There was a program about this cult a couple of weeks ago on the National Geographic TV channel. The cult did not disband after Oct. 31, 2007. In fact, the night of Oct. 31 - early morning Nov. 1 they were all dressed up and running around their compound in New Mexico, singing songs and shouting how happy they were. The world did not end, but that did not change much in the behavior of the cult members. They still live there and do whatever Travesser tells them to do. One teenage girl was taken from the cult by force (her parents arrived together with the local police and just dragged her in their car), but she is now back because while at home, she refused to eat and almost died.

In my home country, Ukraine, occasionally some weird cults surface, too. One very notorious cult was (and still is) the so-called White Brotherhood, whose leader, a woman called Maria Tsvigun, declared that her name is Maria Devi Christos and that she is the next incarnation of God the Word.

We also have a huge organisation that calls itself "Embassy of God," and is led by a Nigerian pastor called Sunday Adelaja. He is a relatively young man, rather fluent in Russian and in Ukrainian; he permanently lives in Kyiv (the capital of Ukraine) and is a very close personal friend of the Mayor of Kyiv, a multi-millionaire guy called Leonid Chernovetky. The Embassy congregates on Sunday mornings and worships Pentecostal-style, with speaking in tongues and other extatic numbers. They have a band playing very hard rock, roaring guitars, drums, etc. Adelaja's cermons are mostly about how good and proper and right it is in God's eyes when people get wealthy and give their money to him. :) One good thing about this Embassy is that they run rather efficient programs of treating young people from alcoholism and narcotic dependence - the success rate of these programs (which have a very solid monetary budget and pay to excellent medical practicioners) is higher than the rate of success in Ukrainian state hospitals. But the thing is, these poor youngsters who are cured by the Embassy from one kind of dependency are usually "hooked" on the other kind of dependency - the roaring rock band and the Pentecostal worship.
Love never fails.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »
Somewhere around 4 years ago in the summer, after Anastasios found that a search with "orthodox" brought up one of the Travesser sites, 2 of the leader's followers (at least it was presented as two different people) took part in a thread here on the forum.  I remember it quite well, including that the leader's blog briefly took and used a copyrighted photo that I had seen on "Astronomy Picture of the Day" a short time before.  After the photographer demanded that it be taken down the blog was changed but did not show any update info and the followers who wrote here errmm shaded/misrepresented what had happened.  Travesser aka Wayne Bent was arrested last Spring for abuse.

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline antiderivative

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 12:17:32 AM »
He proclaimed that the world would end October 31st, 2007.

Does anyone know if his prediction came true?
signature

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 03:33:06 AM »
He proclaimed that the world would end October 31st, 2007.

Does anyone know if his prediction came true?
I'm sure it must have for someone--may God rest his soul.
Not all who wander are lost.