OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 05:08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Baptism  (Read 11999 times) Average Rating: 0
Saint Polycarp

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2003, 10:50:14 AM »

So this example applies to the one were talking about?
Who did God send to the Orthodox Churches which changed their minds about contraception with the message that it was ok with God?
Your example dosn't fit the subject at all.

And again my real point is that the Orthodox (the true Church) don't speak with one voice on this and other subjects. How can the Church be the pillar and support of the truth yet teach opposing truths?
Peace,
Polycarp

Peace
Saint Polycarp

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2003, 11:00:51 AM »

Saint Polycarp,

When the Churches were united, St. Cyprian received converts by baptism and Pope Stephen by confession.  They differed but in the end St. Cyprian said that all bishops have the right to exercise their authority in their sphere, and ultimately God will judge.  Sometimes, we just can't have uniform practice.  That does not mean we have a different faith or lack of teaching authority.

anastasios

Hi Anastasios,
There is a big difference from bishops having somewhat different practices and from various branches of the Church telling thier flock that something is sinfull in one area and that the same act isn't sin in another area. When that kind of situation arose in the past one bishop would confront the one teaching the error and try to work it out. If they couldn't it may be taken to several bishops or to a synod or even an ecumenical council for resolution. And in truth there were times when the question would go to the Pope for his opinion.
The (true) Church can't teach conflicting truths based on how a particular bishop or patrearch feels about it. This is what the protestants do.
Peace,
Polycarp

Peace
Saint Polycarp

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2003, 11:07:20 AM »

Well, since the scope of this thread has grown far beyond what I envisioned...

First, please note that I have never stated here, or anywhere, that I was asking for re-baptism, but for baptism.  That ought to tell you all you need to know about my views on the matter.

Second, as far as there being no substantial differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism:  please read Orthodoxy: Courage to be Different, Strength to Remain the Same by Fr. Mateja Matejic and see if you can honestly hold on to that opinion.  Or you can read anything by St. Justin Popovich.   I have deliberately not rocked the boat here or elsewhere, but I can honestly say I've had to re-learn Christianity as an Orthodox catechumen.  Before I left for Orthodoxy, I had a mild argument with my Eastern Catholic pastor.  He tried to hook me with the "does it really matter if you stay Catholic or become Orthodox- they're really the same".  I sank his battleship right there, saying, "The truth is out there.  You and I may disagree about where the truth is.  Catholicism and Orthodoxy are very different, and they can't both be the true Church.  Disagree, yes - interchangeability, no."

OK, now I've vented my spleen.  Oh, and by the way, I have found no moral waffling at my parish.

You vented nicely Roll Eyes
I would be happy to read the book. Where can I find it?
Peace,
Polycarp

Peace
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2003, 11:25:14 AM »

Saint Polycarp,

With all due respect. Isn't the answer pretty apparent by now?

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2003, 11:27:03 AM »

At the risk of prolonging or convoluting this discussion further, please review this page from the GOA:

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article7101.asp

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Saint Polycarp

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2003, 11:48:10 AM »

Saint Polycarp,

With all due respect. Isn't the answer pretty apparent by now?

yes Tom it is. Tongue
Thanks,
Polycarp

Peace
Saint Polycarp

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2003, 11:52:18 AM »

At the risk of prolonging or convoluting this discussion further, please review this page from the GOA:

Demetri

Thanks for the url. I'm printing it out for study later.
Peace,
Polycarp

Peace
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2003, 12:10:30 PM »

Demetri

Peace,
Polycarp

I'm doing the same.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2003, 12:17:27 PM »

Peace,
Polycarp

I really should have put that URL in the 'Contraception' thread; but it should help here as well. Roll Eyes

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: