OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 05:49:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A ? about The Orthodox Church by Bishop Ware  (Read 1833 times) Average Rating: 0
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« on: November 10, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »

I have the book, but haven't started reading it yet.  But I have, what I hope is, a simple question about it before I begin.

We homeschool and my daughter, age 12 and in 8th grade, is interested in learning more about the Orthodox Church.  In fact, it is her discomfort with things we've been reading in our Catholic oriented books on Church history and the catechism that has us renewing our investigating into Orthodoxy.  Her questions have forced us all to re-examine our position, yet again in our long and very drawn out investigation (which feels like 2 steps toward Orthodoxy and 1.5 steps back all the while slowly inching forward but at less than a snail's pace).

Since Bree (dd) wants to study Orthodoxy - Would The Orthodox Church be a good book for us to use for our religious studies?  Is it something that a 12-year-old student can easily understand?  Or would there be a better book to use?  I also have The Truth by Clark Carlton and The Orthodox Way also by Bishop Ware (as I'm sure you all already know).

Carole
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »

I have the book, but haven't started reading it yet.  But I have, what I hope is, a simple question about it before I begin.

We homeschool and my daughter, age 12 and in 8th grade, is interested in learning more about the Orthodox Church.  In fact, it is her discomfort with things we've been reading in our Catholic oriented books on Church history and the catechism that has us renewing our investigating into Orthodoxy.  Her questions have forced us all to re-examine our position, yet again in our long and very drawn out investigation (which feels like 2 steps toward Orthodoxy and 1.5 steps back all the while slowly inching forward but at less than a snail's pace).

Since Bree (dd) wants to study Orthodoxy - Would The Orthodox Church be a good book for us to use for our religious studies?  Is it something that a 12-year-old student can easily understand?  Or would there be a better book to use?  I also have The Truth by Clark Carlton and The Orthodox Way also by Bishop Ware (as I'm sure you all already know).

Are you more interested in Orthodoxy from a historical perspective or a theological perspective?

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Carole
Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »

Are you more interested in Orthodoxy from a historical perspective or a theological perspective?

Orthodoc

Both, actually.  But since most of her questions/objections are in regard to our current text, which is a history of the Catholic Church I thought something that discusses the history of Orthodoxy would be of interest to her.

Carole
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:35:14 AM »

Bishop Kallistos Ware's book is most useful. Another easier to read book is Introducing the Ortodox Church by Fr Anthony Coniaris. He has written other useful books for us in the general laity. see http://store.holycrossbookstore.com/inorchbanmco.html 

Antiochian OC N.A.
Carole
Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:36:30 AM »

Bishop Kallistos Ware's book is most useful. Another easier to read book is Introducing the Ortodox Church by Fr Anthony Coniaris. He has written other useful books for us in the general laity. see http://store.holycrossbookstore.com/inorchbanmco.html 

Thank you.  I'll definitely look into that book as well.

Carole
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »

Thank you.  I'll definitely look into that book as well.
You're welcome and God bless. MaY I also add another source for Orthodox books with a section for children, preteens etc. http://conciliarpress.com/

Antiochian OC N.A.
Carole
Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:46:43 AM »

Thank you, Recent Convert!  I forgot about that site.  Your reminder is very helpful.

Carole
Carole
Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »

So now is when I admit to being a total ditz and a very bad librarian.  Turns out, in perusing my shelf of religious texts - I already own Introducing the Orthodox Church.   LOL  I think I need to be more familiar with what books I have purchased.   Would I have felt silly if I'd bought another copy?

Carole
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »

So now is when I admit to being a total ditz and a very bad librarian.  Turns out, in perusing my shelf of religious texts - I already own Introducing the Orthodox Church.   LOL  I think I need to be more familiar with what books I have purchased.   Would I have felt silly if I'd bought another copy?

Carole, as a fellow homeschooler I know exactly what you're talking about!  I've done that one more than one occasion  Roll Eyes
One day I'll be organized with a clean house, but all my children will have left the coop  Sad 

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »

I've always thought the so-called "Rainbow Series" by Fr. Thomas Hopko to be appropriate for a middle schooler.  Though sometimes given to circumlocution, he breaks subjects down into easily digestible chapters. 

Web-based version here: http://www.oca.org/OCorthfaith.asp?SID=2
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 02:34:22 PM »

I have always liked the Rainbow series. Its practical and a good introduction to the faith. As always, I suggest you read both slavic (Rusian and Eastern European) and byzantine (Greek and Antiochian) authors in order to get a balanced view and to understand the differences of "t"raditions or customs with each jurisdiction.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »

I suggest you read both slavic (Rusian and Eastern European) and byzantine (Greek and Antiochian) authors in order to get a balanced view and to understand the differences of "t"raditions or customs with each jurisdiction.

Sound advice.  Smiley  I wish someone had suggested this to me when I was an inquirer.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 04:15:06 PM »

I have heard great things about these two books on Church history;
http://paideaclassics.org/index.php?sid=&cart_id=&show=book&ref=2322
http://paideaclassics.org/index.php?sid=&cart_id=&show=book&ref=2323
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 04:44:37 PM »

This site you noted is a good site run by a  convert family who resides in my parish. Their site has really good information available for home schoolers and those Orthodox with young children and grandchildren. I just got my Orthodox Nativity Lent (Advent) Calendars from them and each of my children with children recieved a different one and love the way they look. (Note this is not an edorsement by Oc.net but rather my personal comment)

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »

I think The Orthodox Church would be fine, though there are other books on the history of the Church from an Orthodox perspective as well, such as The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy by Fr. Alexander Schmemann. I think all books have their flaws, but the one by Met. Kallistos is certainly a fine place to start (especially for the historical end of things). The Orthodox Way is a bit deeper, but still probably understandable by a 12 year old, I would think.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Carole
Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 08:39:37 AM »

Thank you, everyone.  The "up side" to this is that we will be reading and discussing what we read together (either just the two of us or as a family) so if things are a bit more complex in The Orthodox Church there will be ample time for discussion.

Though yesterday she showed an interest in reading The Truth by Clark Carlton.  I did warn her as we began, though, that Carlton's understanding of Catholicism was clearly not as good as his understanding of his own Protestant denomination and that he tends to seem biased (if not a bit polemic) at times.  She was willing to risk it, admitting that all of the Catholic sources she's read so far have been biased in favour of the Catholic Church and many have been polemic when discussing the schism.

So for now at least, that is where we've started.  Though that may change.  Particularly after Christmas when we approach the priest to begin discussing (again) the formal steps for becoming Orthodox and he tells us what he wants us to study.

Carole
Tags: Religious education for kids Metr. Kallistos Ware 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: