OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:30:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with catechism recommendations???  (Read 2761 times) Average Rating: 0
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« on: October 29, 2008, 08:06:19 PM »

Dear forum friends,

I received an email today from a woman who wishes to attend our annual retreat but also
asked me to recommend an Orthodox study program to her. I don't think she has yet
attended an Orthodox parish and I don't know where she lives so I haven't been able to recommend
her to a priest for counsel. She is on SSI so she doesn't have alot of money to pay for materials.
I am going to try and find her a ride to the retreat and probably will ask to give her some type
of a scholarship so she can attend. She found out about the retreat on line. This year, Fr. Pat Reardon
will be our speaker and he will be discussing Holy Scripture and the Evangelization of America.

thank you for any help you can offer, Tamara

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:10:16 PM »

I'm sure you could find several sites online that offer articles and information that would be useful, you could start here: http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »

Would perhaps a popular book like The Orthodox Church by Met. Kallistos be of some use to her? There are also catechisms online if she doesn't have much money for materials (e.g. this one). Sorry I can't be of more help!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »

Dear forum friends,

I received an email today from a woman who wishes to attend our annual retreat but also
asked me to recommend an Orthodox study program to her. I don't think she has yet
attended an Orthodox parish and I don't know where she lives so I haven't been able to recommend
her to a priest for counsel. She is on SSI so she doesn't have alot of money to pay for materials.
I am going to try and find her a ride to the retreat and probably will ask to give her some type
of a scholarship so she can attend. She found out about the retreat on line. This year, Fr. Pat Reardon
will be our speaker and he will be discussing Holy Scripture and the Evangelization of America.

thank you for any help you can offer, Tamara

Fr. Hopko's "rainbow series" is great for a newbie. If she prefers something a bit more sophisticated "Orthodox Dogmatic Theology" by Fr. Pomazansky"

If you write to me privately, I would be happy help her.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »

In my parish, I teach a class called "Orthopraxis" monthly. It deals with practice of Orthodoxy issues some of the topics include , The domestic Church (the how to's of Orthodoxy ---setting up an icon corner, lighting incense, maintaining an oil almp, etc), Prosphora ( Altar bread and other breads used traditionally in the Church,  Nativity Lent, Nativity, Theophany, Praying for the Dead and Memorials, Great Lent, Holy Week, Pascha and Paschatide, Pentecost, Marriage, God Parent - God Child, Transfiguration & Dormition, and Prayer.I have several people who  get the class material via e-mail, if she is interested she can pm me and I will be happy to forward her the  material free of charge. The class is taught once a month for 12 months with occassional special classes like iconography and cooking for fasting days, it is one of the three classes offered in my parish for Catecumen and newly illumined members of the Church.

Thomas

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:46:30 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Andrea

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »

^
Wow, that sounds awesome!
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »

Myriobiblios

http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/index_en.html

It has good texts and links to info about Greek literature and history.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »

Met. Soitirios of the Metropolis of Canada has a great catechism. I know I found a copy for free online....can't seem to find a link now....let me see what I can find...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 03:38:32 PM »

Met. Soitirios of the Metropolis of Canada has a great catechism. I know I found a copy for free online....can't seem to find a link now....let me see what I can find...

This one?
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the generous offer of Thomas and to those of you who were willing to give more information if needed. I sent her an email with some of the information provided by you and let her know we could give her a scholarship for the retreat if we could find a ride for her.
I also was able to find an Orthodox parish that was fifty minutes from her home and I gave her the contact information
for the priest. I then sent a message to the priest and let him know she may be calling.
She was very grateful for the response. I will let you know if we need more information. But I think at the level she is at, she is satisfied for the moment and needs to digest the basics.

Thank you all again! Tamara
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 02:25:55 AM »

This one?

The very one. The local Greek priest also recently gave me a copy in book form.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 08:46:52 PM »

I forgot to mention, the woman's initial introduction to Orthodoxy came from listening to OCN. She enjoyed listening to the journeys into Orthodoxy, a part of their programming.

Three cheers for Pensateomnia! Your hard work is bearing fruit!
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »

Another online catechism: http://www.orthodoxeurope.org/page/10/1.aspx

Antiochian OC N.A.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 11:28:09 AM »

I forgot to mention, the woman's initial introduction to Orthodoxy came from listening to OCN. She enjoyed listening to the journeys into Orthodoxy, a part of their programming.

Three cheers for Pensateomnia! Your hard work is bearing fruit!
What's OCN?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 04:58:50 PM »

As explained in the antiochian Archdiocese website:
Orthodox Christian Network (OCN), an agency of SCOBA, has been established to create a national, sustainable and effective media witness for the Orthodox Christian Church in North America. OCN produces high-quality programs and media tools for local parishes that reach people for Christ 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our mission is to strengthen the Orthodox communities of North America and to share the timeless faith of Orthodoxy with the contemporary world by using modern media: radio, the Internet, podcasts, DVDs, and television.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
yochanan
Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OMHKSEA (Philippines)

O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 02:22:39 PM »

Hey everyone!! I think that Catechisms are really important initiators of the Faith. Would you be so kind to post the most effective Catechisms that you have read in the Internet.
I'm really confused 'bout most Catechisms because the concepts are so liquid, there are no solid examples on the works and the things you should do everyday (at least examples!!!)

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 02:45:51 PM »

Hey everyone!! I think that Catechisms are really important initiators of the Faith. Would you be so kind to post the most effective Catechisms that you have read in the Internet.
Try: http://www.orthodoxeurope.org/page/10/1.aspx

I'm really confused 'bout most Catechisms because the concepts are so liquid, there are no solid examples on the works and the things you should do everyday (at least examples!!!)
Orthopraxis (how we live the Faith) is based on Orthodoxy (correct belief).
In Orthodoxy, getting the doctrines of the Faith right comes first, because correct practice can only come from correct belief.
How we practice it day to day depends on our tradition, for example, you will find slight difference between liturgical practices in different cultures.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »

This recent thread might be of some interest to you. Smiley
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 12:07:30 AM »

Asteriktos the recent thread link nazi Cheesy lol

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »

Asteriktos the recent thread link nazi Cheesy lol
Based on the link Asteriktos provided, I have merged the old thread "Best Catechisms" into the thread referenced by his link.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 07:57:34 PM »

Asteriktos the recent thread link nazi  lol

Sorry! Perhaps this link will... eh, nevermind Smiley
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 07:58:41 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Tags: catechism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: