OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 05:01:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Should I get (yet another) new printer?  (Read 2628 times) Average Rating: 0
Helena94

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: October 21, 2008, 01:35:54 PM »

Hello and thanks to anyone who can help. We have a five year-old Compaq Presario, and a fairly new Lexmark printer. All it does is print, when it's working, that is. Months ago I ran out of color ink, and just used black ink. But it still would not print. I've reinstalled it several times. I am not very "computer minded" at all, and even my teen daughters don't know what to do with it. I'm wondering if I put new ink cartridges in if that will "cure" it, or maybe I should buy a third printer and start from scratch.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 04:28:24 PM »

Perhaps the printer head has burnt out.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 04:40:57 PM »

What specific model of Lexmark is it?  You said that all it does is print, which implies that this is a single-function printer--probably rather low end with a simple ink delivery system, judging from my own experience working with printers.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:42:46 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:22:06 PM »

1.  Ink transfer system is likely clogged - happens a lot on my Epson printers after a few years and I've never refilled my ink cartridges.

2.  You could try purchasing new color cartridges except I don't think they'll fix the problem.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »

1.  Ink transfer system is likely clogged - happens a lot on my Epson printers after a few years and I've never refilled my ink cartridges.
The problem with this reasoning, though, is that different printer model lines have different means of transfering ink to paper.  Some print directly from the ink cartridges themselves, while more advanced printers will pool ink from multiple cartridges into a single reservoir and print the ink from this reservoir through a single print head.  This is why knowledge of what model of printer Helena owns is important.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »

Hello and thanks to anyone who can help. We have a five year-old Compaq Presario, and a fairly new Lexmark printer. All it does is print, when it's working, that is. Months ago I ran out of color ink, and just used black ink. But it still would not print. I've reinstalled it several times. I am not very "computer minded" at all, and even my teen daughters don't know what to do with it. I'm wondering if I put new ink cartridges in if that will "cure" it, or maybe I should buy a third printer and start from scratch.

Invest in a laser printer there better.....i never have problems with the laser ones ......go to a second hand store like say a salvation army store they usally have tons of printers ....the thing is if you buy and they don't work ,,they don't take them back, i bought two laser ones there great from the salvation army.....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »

Invest in a laser printer there better.....i never have problems with the laser ones ......go to a second hand store like say a salvation army store they usally have tons of printers ....the thing is if you buy and they don't work ,,they don't take them back, i bought two laser ones there great from the salvation army.....
That may be good advice if she's really looking to replace her printer, but at a time when she's looking to have her issue diagnosed, the best advice is to describe the problem so we can help her fix it.  If we can't help her do that, then the next logical step may be to follow your advice.  (Personally, when it comes to buying a printer, I would advise one to buy new.  The support is generally better, particularly on the software side. Wink)
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »

Laser printers (colour or mono) are OK for text work, but even a cheap inkjet will give much better colour results for graphics and photos than will a colour laser, even an expensive one. The choice of type of printer depends on what you use it for.

Inkjet printers have a "maintenance" function which should include head cleaning. Do a head clean and see what happens. It may be too late to help the colour jets, but the black may come good.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:53:23 AM »

Helena, the thought just came to mind that maybe your printer is not designed to print with only the black ink installed.  Some of the HP printers with which I work are like that.  It may work if you install another color ink cartridge.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:54:59 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 01:05:12 AM »

Helena, the thought just came to mind that maybe your printer is not designed to print with only the black ink installed.  Some of the HP printers with which I work are like that.  It may work if you install another color ink cartridge.

From your resident Best Buy employee, this is most likely the case...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 11:26:14 AM »

You know, the way these printers are designed, buying two new ink cartridges is almost as much as buying an entirely new printer (which usually comes with new ink cartridges). Ink cartridges are constantly being redesigned, so that the ones for older models tend to increase with price as people buy new printers and consequently new shapes of ink cartridges. Therefore, I replace at the first sign of trouble--and I never spend more than $100 on a new printer. It isn't necessary to if you don't get the ones with a scanner, fax, and copier.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 12:08:35 PM »

You know, the way these printers are designed, buying two new ink cartridges is almost as much as buying an entirely new printer (which usually comes with new ink cartridges). Ink cartridges are constantly being redesigned, so that the ones for older models tend to increase with price as people buy new printers and consequently new shapes of ink cartridges. Therefore, I replace at the first sign of trouble--and I never spend more than $100 on a new printer. It isn't necessary to if you don't get the ones with a scanner, fax, and copier.
I figure I should be able to get at least three years of good service out of an inkjet printer.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 02:35:09 PM »

I've gone through 3 Epsons over the last decade - not including one I gave to my sister.   Grin
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 03:05:14 PM »

Ok, my $.02 from an old printer salesman. Need to know if the printer operates but just fails to lay an image (text or graphics) on page. If it operates,
There are basically two ink delivery systems for inkjets:
1) Ink supply and print head are integrated in a single unit
2) Ink supply cartridge contains ink only and seats into a separate print head. Cheaper ink reload but more expensive when one must replace print head (or even find one to do so).

I have the identical problem with a 5 year old Dell inkjet (made by Lexmark) and it is #1 above. I just hate paying $109.00 to reload ink in a $49.00 printer.

Suggestion: if Helena94's printer uses #1 system above, remove cartridge, shake to see if you can tell there's any ink in them, and gently wash print-head (without dousing electronic connections thereon) with a stream of warm water. Gently dry, re-insert, and attempt print.

Inkjets are notorious for print heads drying out if not used "regularly".

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Helena94

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »

Hi Everyone, many thanks for all the advice! First I am going to buy new ink cartridges and see how that goes, I guess I've been a little cheap.  Wink I sure appreciate everyone taking the time to think about my printer's problem! God bless you all!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: