OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 12:53:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian fraternities  (Read 2160 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: November 08, 2008, 10:43:40 PM »

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2008/11/08/news/doc4914414dcdf28272518381.txt

Lambda Sigma Phi is part of a wave of Christian fraternities and sororities that has gained a foothold on U.S. college campuses, sometimes despite the wishes of school administrators. Members get pumped up about prayer, Bible study and service projects, passions they say campus officials should and often do embrace as fresh amid a Greek culture typically seen as centered on hazing, keg parties and little else.

Founded in 2001, Lambda Sigma Phi hopes to show other groups at the university what Jesus is all about.

"We're almost in a bubble because we're surrounded by all this. That's why we're here on Jefferson Avenue, to minister to these guys," said chapter president Daniel Weaver. "We want to be a light on this campus."

Clete Hux, a Presbyterian minister who has two sons in Lambda Sigma Phi, said he hopes the group sticks to its principles. He said he's got a peace of mind that eludes many parents who send their children off to college.

"You know there's not going to be any wild parties going on. They have accountability groups and Bible studies," he said. "It's kind of furthering what you as parents instill in your children."

So what are some thoughts about this idea?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:00:52 PM »

I'd like to see these societies stick to their noble principles. But I'm not holding my breath. Been there, done that.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:54:03 AM »

Let's just pray these outgoing Christian Fraternities and Sororities don't develop the same attitude towards non-Christians as the US Air Force Academy had (or has?).

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 03:07:43 AM »

An Orthodox friend of mine has been in one of these while at UC Davis.  Might be the same one.  I think he has actually converted a couple of members to Orthodoxy.  Oh, and a former member of his is now a GOA priest in Santa Barbara (a Fr. Simon Thomas I think).
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 03:09:41 AM »

In certain aspects OCF is viewed as a fraternity of sorts....at least when us Canucks look at our dear Southern Neighbours....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 04:18:37 AM »

If it helps them on their spiritual walk, I won't say anything negative about it. I know when I was in college, the weekly Bible study/get together that I attended was one of my favorite points in the week.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 09:00:15 AM »

Let's just pray these outgoing Christian Fraternities and Sororities don't develop the same attitude towards non-Christians as the US Air Force Academy had (or has?).
What attitude does the US Air Force Academy have toward non-Christians?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 08:13:39 PM »

What attitude does the US Air Force Academy have toward non-Christians?

They have a biased and harassing one. You can look up Air Force Academy and christian fundamentalism on the Web and see what they've been up to, especially in Colorado Springs, CO.

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 12:53:44 AM »

^ I don't believe that is the case. Consider the following article:

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/apr2005/acad-a30.shtml

Evangelical Christians among the officers and cadets at the US Air Force Academy have created an atmosphere of systematic intolerance towards Jewish and non-religious students, according to reports by minority students and investigations by off-campus groups concerned about the rise of fundamentalist bigotry.

On April 19, academy officials revealed that 55 complaints against religious harassment by Christian fundamentalists have been filed in the last four years, including “saying bad things about persons of other religions or proselytizing in inappropriate places,” a spokesman said.

In response to the complaints, the academy has created a program called RSVP, for Respecting the Spiritual Values of all People, which consists of a 50-minute class that all 4,300 cadets are required to attend. Similar sensitivity sessions will be held for the 9,000 staff and employees of the academy.

And this one: http://www.religioustolerance.org/relintolafa.htm

According to the Associated Press, many allegations surfaced "...that evangelical Christians wield so much influence at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs that anti-Semitism and other forms of religious harassment have become pervasive....An Air Force task force concluded that some students and staff at the school have the perception that the academy favors evangelical Christians and is intolerant of those who do not share their faith."

It seems as though the Academy has had troubles in the past with religious intolerance among its cadets, but that it is taking the sides of those who have been harassed by fundamentalist Christian cadets. I don't see them as perpetrating such things as you allege.

Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »

A Christian sorority could have been a lot of fun.  As it was, I was at a college which was Christian in name only, so the sororities and fraternities were just as focused on hazing and keggers as on a secular campus.  I tried joining one sorority which wasn't as bad, but I didn't feel welcome.  It later became known as the "Bible-beating sorority," probably because over the years several of my friends from InterVarsity Christian Fellowship joined it.

Now IVCF, on the other hand, was wonderful, and nobody had to go through hazing.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: