OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 07:53:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Afflictions of Christ  (Read 627 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 09, 2008, 12:01:47 AM »

"And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church: Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God" - Col. 1:21-25

I've consulted the Orthodox Study Bible, and also the Homily of St. John Chrysostom on this passage, and I still don't understand the bolded part. What does "and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake" mean?

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »

FWIW, you might understand it better if you bold it this way: "and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His Body's sake, which is the Church"
In other words the sufferings of the Church are the sufferings of Christ, so when St. Paul talks of "that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ", he is referring to the afflictions of the Church which is Christ's Body.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 01:57:12 AM »

I must admit that the verse still confuses me, though what you said does make sense and I can at least understand what the verse is getting at now... thanks! Smiley

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Tags: Scripture New Testament St. Paul Colossians St. John Chrysostom the Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: