OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Fonts for MS Word on a Mac Running OS X with Word 2004 for Mac v. 11.3.8  (Read 6823 times) Average Rating: 0
Allyson

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ruthenian - Passaic

« on: April 12, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get Greek font for use in MS Word on Mac that has the accent marks.  I can use Insert --> Symbol or type with Symbol font to get the letters, but I really need to be able to have accent marks too.  I can cut and paste Greek Letters with accent marks and save documents that have them, but I cannot type accent marks in!

Please help.  I saw there was a thread in 2004, but the links are out of date.

Thank you,
Rosemary
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:42:29 PM »

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get Greek font for use in MS Word on Mac that has the accent marks.  I can use Insert --> Symbol or type with Symbol font to get the letters, but I really need to be able to have accent marks too.  I can cut and paste Greek Letters with accent marks and save documents that have them, but I cannot type accent marks in!

Thank you,
Rosemary

I don't use a Mac, so I am not sure I will be much help, but have you tried installing fonts such as HellasHelvetica or HellasTimes?

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 02:08:40 AM »

If you can cut, paste and save the letters, it would appear that you already have fonts with that capability?
Allyson

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ruthenian - Passaic

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »

If you can cut, paste and save the letters, it would appear that you already have fonts with that capability?

Yes it would appear that way, I just need help figuring out how to find them and use them in Word.  I can cut and paste them in from somewhere else, but in writing papers, I don't want to be looking for alpha with a grave accent in another text, I want to find it in the program.  This is what I have not figured out yet.
 Grin
tennara

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 05:49:45 PM »

So, actually the solution really easy.  OS X comes with a Greek language setting which will work in MS Word.
To find it go to the apple menu > system preferences > International > the "Input Menu" tab.
Then scroll down the list until you find Greek Polytonic and check it.
Then - to allow easy switching between English and Greek - check the "Show input menu in menu bar" box at the bottom of the window.
A little flag should appear on your Mac's menu bar. 
You can then use the "keyboard viewer" (at the bottom of the little flag pull down menu) to learn what keys give you the accents you are looking for.

Happy typing!
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 07:45:18 AM »

Hey Everyone,

Thank you,
Rosemary

I know this thread is pretty old but I did find a website which has exactly what you need. The Greek Font Society in Athens, Greece produces a variety of excellent Greek Opentype fonts. Opentype fonts work on both PC & Mac, and you can download all these GFS fonts for free, so for everyone who feels "technically challenged" regarding Greek fonts, especially when switching between PC & Mac, here's the link: http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_about.html.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 07:46:44 AM by Nazarene » Logged
Tags: MS Word greek font Apple Macintosh 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: