OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 10:38:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Homeschooling Conference at Antiochian Village  (Read 3215 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: November 06, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »

Just an FYI

We’ll be posting information on the Antiochian Village website as we have it ready.  Here is the link http://www.antiochianvillage.org/assets/files/center_pdf/Homeschooling%20Conference%20Save%20the%20Date%2009.pdf for a “Save the Date” flyer.  I would appreciate you sharing this with everyone you can think of who may have an interest in attending!  Look for a list of speakers and workshop topics coming out in early December and the complete registration packet on January 12th.

I wish I could go. But between how far away it is from me, and three kids on my own, I don't think I can do it. Bummer since the last one I went to was this weird Mega conservative one.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 04:05:24 PM »

Sounds interesting!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »

Rather than promote homeschooling (which I am for) perhaps the Antiochian archdiocese should put forth a more concerted effort to establish Orthodox schools across this country.  There are only a handful and there is no reason why we should shy away from this.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »

I don't think the Archdiocese is organizing this conference (I could be wrong).  It sounds like it's one of the following: (a) an effort of the Village itself (which would make sense), (b) some members of the AOA in conjunction with the Village, or (c) an independent Orthodox group.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 05:44:41 PM »

I don't think the Archdiocese is organizing this conference (I could be wrong).  It sounds like it's one of the following: (a) an effort of the Village itself (which would make sense), (b) some members of the AOA in conjunction with the Village, or (c) an independent Orthodox group.

I am uncertain, but probably (b): http://www.stmarywichita.org/homeschool.html
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 06:35:27 PM »

Actually there is a rather large pan-Orthodox homeschooling group that is organizing it. I am part of the list. This is not in any way and Antiochian venture.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 06:49:11 PM »

I made the connection through St. Emmelia.  I stand (sit, actually) corrected.

Is that pan-Orthodox Group the OrthodoxClassicalHS yahoo group?
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:43 PM »

Yes, its the Ortho-Classical HS group.  One of the new employees at AV is a former homeschooler and I think she helped get this idea going there. 

I'm not sure why the Antiochians can't both promote a Homeschool Retreat/conference AND Orthodox schools   Huh

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:05:25 PM »

Rather than promote homeschooling (which I am for) perhaps the Antiochian archdiocese should put forth a more concerted effort to establish Orthodox schools across this country.  There are only a handful and there is no reason why we should shy away from this.

Seeing as they have one in Johnstown PA (not all that far from Antiochian village) and it's struggling, I'd guess they might question viability. I hate to say it, but our schools will probably only get a boost when jurisdictional cooperation and/or unity becomes real.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »

Seeing as they have one in Johnstown PA (not all that far from Antiochian village) and it's struggling, I'd guess they might question viability. I hate to say it, but our schools will probably only get a boost when jurisdictional cooperation and/or unity becomes real.

You're probably right, but we need these for our children.  There are many people in our parish who send their kids to private Catholic school but wish they could send them to an Orthodox school where they can also have the religious and prayer aspect alongside of their education. 

I wonder why the one in Johnstown is struggling.  Do you know?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 11:33:53 PM »

You're probably right, but we need these for our children.  There are many people in our parish who send their kids to private Catholic school but wish they could send them to an Orthodox school where they can also have the religious and prayer aspect alongside of their education. 

I wonder why the one in Johnstown is struggling.  Do you know?
Despite seemingly enough Orthodox in the area to support a school, low enrollment; use of teachers with no credentials...two biggies in my book (and perhaps related). Usual American Orthodox ethnic issues maybe, I hope not, but maybe.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 11:48:13 PM »

Could it also be that people don't know of the school? I'm originally from that area, and I didn't know that there was an Orthodox school (besides the Seminary) there.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 11:52:04 PM »

They keep trying to start one here and they can't get enough enrollment.

An Orthodox co-op would be a better idea to me. I homeschool because I can't afford to send my kids to private school. And if I have to choose between homeschooling and having a few more kids, or having 1-2 kids and sending them to private school, I will homeschool.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 12:21:04 AM »

Could it also be that people don't know of the school? I'm originally from that area, and I didn't know that there was an Orthodox school (besides the Seminary) there.

Well, I would think they don't go to church. Announcements and notices from St. Sophia Orthodox school - Antiochian-  are read out at my ACROD parish quite often.

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 10:19:54 AM »

Historically there are two reasons for the Antiochian Archdiocese to not invest fully into Orthodox Schools.

The first and probably foremost was Metropolitan Philip's own experience in sponsoring an Orthodox School in a parish when he was a young man.  As part of an agreement between other local Orthodox Churches of differing jurisdictions, he raised money to build and built an orthodox school as on property his parish held. A Greek Orthodox Donor while it was being built wanted a Greek Orthodox School and not a pan-orthodox school and donated all funding for a Greek Orthodox School. The then Father Philip was left with a completed school but only Antiochian children to attend, he worked very hard over the next years to get the costs of the school paid off but the school failed because it was built with the intention of having Greek Orthodox children in it in order to meet expenses. Once burned like that he may be cautious to invest that type of money or burden upon a local parish again. The story of this is in his biography written by Father Peter Gilquist.

The second reason is that many converts from Roman Catholic and Protestant backgrounds were home schooling when they entered the Church.  They were already active in local Christian home schooling groups.  Seeking to make their home schooling more Orthodox, they established internet support groups with sharing of resources and curriculum's.One family in our parish started a great resource center that offers many supplies, books, etc to homeschoolers utilizing the classical education model so I know there is a good group of homeschoolers in the orthodox Church. In the Diocese of the Wichita and the Midwest, home schooling is a very popular idea. so it is little wonder that the internet Orthodox homeschooling groups have organized a retreat and the fact it is in Ligoner is based on its availability and willingness to allow other groups than the official jurisdictions utilize their conference and retreat facilities.

Thomas
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:22:36 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »

Many of us converts were, as mentioned, already homeschooling. A practice that has not caught on within historicaly ethnic based parishes. Here in the south eastern states and along much of the seaboard, one is very blessed indeed to find an Orthodox church at all! Let alone one of the person's chosen jurisdiction. The more ethnic the parish already is, then education is about (typically) blending into American culture at large as soon as possible. This idea has passed to the successive generations, and doing anything outside of that 'norm' is considered bizarre.  Standing out even more than they do as Orthodox is a no no.
Since I already stand out, I have no issues such as this. Kinda hard to hide seven children and one special needs child on top of that. My guess is that parishes are loathe to start a school that isn't just one jurisdictional cross section, with their cultural identity sewn in part and parcel. Greek schools much teach hellenic culture, modern Greek language, greek dance and so on. Obviously a Russian family isn't going to be terribly interested in that and the Greek families will be no less interested in learning Russian. Since none of them can separate their cultural identity, VOILA-we get no Orthodox schools.  And even if we did, they would no doubt be in major metro areas where I for one do not choose to raise my children.
so we homeschool and push and cajole folks into writing Orthodox curriculum, while we struggle to learn enough of the faith to participate!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: