OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 03:02:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Architectural plans for the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Monastery  (Read 5047 times) Average Rating: 0
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« on: November 04, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »

This photo was taken at the Antiochian Archdiocesan board of trustees meeting that was held a few days ago in Boston. Let's hope this photo means we have moved beyond the wishful thinking stage into the planning stage.

The meeting coincides with a visit from the patriarch of Antioch. Click on this link to see more photos.

http://www.antiochianladiocese.org/pastevents/2008/patriarch.htm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:34:11 PM by Tamara » Logged
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:37:57 PM »

Let's hope this photo means we have moved beyond the wishful thinking stage into the planning stage.

Indeed!  Smiley

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »

Would said monastery be in Ligonier or elsewhere?
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »

That'd be sweet if it was in Ligonier at the Antiochian Village, as I live about 10 miles from there!  Smiley

scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:51:37 PM »

Hopefully, this will inspire more monasteries to come, especially out here in the midwest where we are very lacking in such resources for our spiritual growth.  I'm hopeful that Bishop BASIL will press for this as time goes on.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:59:26 PM »

Hopefully, this will inspire more monasteries to come, especially out here in the midwest where we are very lacking in such resources for our spiritual growth.  I'm hopeful that Bishop BASIL will press for this as time goes on.

Speaking of His Grace, I didn't see him in any of the photos of said meeting.  I hope there was a good reason.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 10:04:11 PM »

Wonderful news indeed!  Cheesy   The more Orthodox monasteries we have in the US of A, the better off the US of A will be.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 10:10:16 PM »

Let's hope 1 plan doesn't mean only 1 monastery in the long-term vision...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 10:10:29 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »

Would said monastery be in Ligonier or elsewhere?

I remember many years ago, when Antiochian Village was being built, that future plans indicated there would be a monastery on the property. I would bet that would be the first choice. So Asteriktos may be in luck! Wink
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:16:10 PM »

It does make sense, keeping in line with the vision for Ligionier as the premiere location for pilgrimage and archdiocesan unity...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 10:21:43 PM »

Let's hope 1 plan doesn't mean only 1 monastery in the long-term vision...

Cleveland,

The Antiochians don't have quite as much money as the Greeks do to quickly build 18 or more monasteries in twenty years. Look how many years it took them build Antiochian Village.  I trust that God will take us where we need to go.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 10:22:03 PM »

I'm excited to see the growth of monasticism in America. We have a new women's monastery in the Ozarks which was just consecrated a couple of months ago. It'd be great to see a men's monastery around here as well. Wherever monasticism is on the rise, we will see spiritual growth there.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »

Cleveland,

The Antiochians don't have quite as much money as the Greeks do to quickly build 18 or more monasteries in twenty years. Look how many years it took them build Antiochian Village.  I trust that God will take us where we need to go. 

Why even bring this up?  All I am hoping for is that the Antiochian Archdiocese isn't going to limit their long-term vision to one monastery; I don't care about timeline/timetable, fundraising, or any other stereotypes like the one you just spouted...

---------------------
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 11:34:35 PM »

Cleveland,

Why even bring this up?  All I am hoping for is that the Antiochian Archdiocese isn't going to limit their long-term vision to one monastery; I don't care about timeline/timetable, fundraising, or any other stereotypes like the one you just spouted...

What stereotypes? Everyone knows the Greek archdiocese is the largest and wealthiest of all jurisdictions. Also, the Greek Archdiocese is blessed with money that came from Greece to help build the monasteries here. We Antiochians are not so lucky. In fact, we sent money to Lebanon to build Balamand seminary and monastery. So I just didn't appreciate your insinuation that this one will be the only monastery. If they only have money to build one monastery right now can't we just be happy about it instead of making a negative remark? We only have one Antiochian Village right now but only because we don't have the money to buy land and build one out here on the west coast. I do know that Bishop Joseph would like to buy land and build Antiochian Village West and on that property he wistfully spoke of building a monastery on it. But at this time, we don't have the money to make that dream a reality yet.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:39:11 PM by Tamara » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 11:59:04 PM »

What stereotypes? Everyone knows the Greek archdiocese is the largest and wealthiest of all jurisdictions. Also, the Greek Archdiocese is blessed with money that came from Greece to help build the monasteries here. We Antiochians are not so lucky. In fact, we sent money to Lebanon to build Balamand seminary and monastery.

Never mind.  You don't see the stereotype that you laid out, that's fine.

So I just didn't appreciate your insinuation that this one will be the only monastery. If they only have money to build one monastery right now can't we just be happy about it instead of making a negative remark?

I never insinuated that it would be.  All I said was "Let's hope 1 plan doesn't mean only 1 monastery in the long-term vision..."  That's it.  Take it at face value.  "Let's hope" - that's what you're claiming to do (i.e. hope that there will be more).  I don't know, or insinuate, that there will only be one monastery, or only one in the plan; rather, I hope that it isn't the only one in the long-term plan.  Why read into my statement?  Why be insulted?

We only have one Antiochian Village right now but only because we don't have the money to buy land and build one out here on the west coast. I do know that Bishop Joseph would like to buy land and build Antiochian Village West and on that property he wistfully spoke of building a monastery on it. But at this time, we don't have the money to make that dream a reality yet.

You seem to be more obsessed with this than you should be.  1. Whether or not you have another village is in God's hands.  2. Even if there is not another camp/retreat center, the one you have is excellent, and is certainly a unifying force in your Archdiocese.  I don't know how on earth I've hit on a sensitive nerve when I'm not hitting anything!

---------------------
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »

We only have one Antiochian Village right now but only because we don't have the money to buy land and build one out here on the west coast. I do know that Bishop Joseph would like to buy land and build Antiochian Village West and on that property he wistfully spoke of building a monastery on it. But at this time, we don't have the money to make that dream a reality yet.

What do you mean "only"?  That is a huge project.  The only reason the OCA even has their seminaries, land, etc. is that they've had the property for decades.  I doubt the GOA is as wealthy as you surmise and I assure you that all the other jurisdictions don't have that deep pockets either.  To add, maybe the Antiochians shouldn't think so grand so that plans and ideas can actually come to fruition instead of being dreams.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 12:15:38 AM »

Speaking of His Grace, I didn't see him in any of the photos of said meeting.  I hope there was a good reason.

Bishop BASIL was in Houston for the elevation of one of his priests in his diocese to archpriest.  This had been on his schedule for months.  This was hardly a frivolous reason.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 12:45:48 AM »

Never mind.  You don't see the stereotype that you laid out, that's fine.

Last I checked, the Greek Archdiocese has an annual budget of around 18 million with some 550 parishes, 20 or so monasteries, St. Nicholas Ranch, and Holy Cross Seminary. The Antiochians have an annual budget of about 5 million, with 250 parishes and Antiochian Village. Is this information a bunch of stereotypes or facts?  Roll Eyes

Forgot to mention that the Greek Archdiocese is also the recipient of funds from Leadership 100. This organization's charter is to advance Orthodoxy and hellenism.

"Leadership 100, the largest Greek American membership and charitable organization in the United States, holding more than $84 million in assets, held its 17th Annual Conference, in Palm Desert, California, from February 14 to 17, 2008."

“The Endowment Fund has exceeded its goal for 2007,” said Behrakis, “recruiting 68 new members for a total of 755, while fulfilled members hit a record of 344; contributions exceeded $4.3 million, the second highest figure historically and Endowment funds reached $67.8 million with total assets at $84 million.” “Grants distributed since the inception of Leadership 100 will exceed $25 million in 2008,” he concluded.

http://www.greeknewsonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=8110

I never insinuated that it would be.  All I said was "Let's hope 1 plan doesn't mean only 1 monastery in the long-term vision..."  That's it.  Take it at face value.  "Let's hope" - that's what you're claiming to do (i.e. hope that there will be more).  I don't know, or insinuate, that there will only be one monastery, or only one in the plan; rather, I hope that it isn't the only one in the long-term plan.  Why read into my statement?  Why be insulted?

Instead of saying,"gee, how exciting...the Antiochians are finally planning to build a monastery," you had to look at the negative side and say, "Let's hope 1 plan doesn't mean only 1 monastery in the long-term vision..."
What was the point?

You seem to be more obsessed with this than you should be.  1. Whether or not you have another village is in God's hands.  2. Even if there is not another camp/retreat center, the one you have is excellent, and is certainly a unifying force in your Archdiocese.  I don't know how on earth I've hit on a sensitive nerve when I'm not hitting anything!
I am not obsessed about a future village on the west coast. It will happen in God's time. By sharing the information I was trying to alleviate your concern that there are plans for only one monastery.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:14:42 AM by Tamara » Logged
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 12:50:48 AM »

What do you mean "only"?  That is a huge project.  The only reason the OCA even has their seminaries, land, etc. is that they've had the property for decades.  I doubt the GOA is as wealthy as you surmise and I assure you that all the other jurisdictions don't have that deep pockets either.  To add, maybe the Antiochians shouldn't think so grand so that plans and ideas can actually come to fruition instead of being dreams.

It is a huge project and they have done a really great job. I know the other jurisdictions don't have deep pockets...no question there! I don't think the Antiochians think so grandly. They build what they can afford to build and it just takes them time. I find nothing wrong about how they have built Antiochian Village. They have been fiscally responsible with
what they have been given.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:51:10 AM by Tamara » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 02:38:29 AM »

Bishop BASIL was in Houston for the elevation of one of his priests in his diocese to archpriest.  This had been on his schedule for months.  This was hardly a frivolous reason.

I'm sure it was and I don't think it was frivolous.  I think he should have postponed it though, given how non-urgent elevating an archpriest is vs seeing the Patriarch who doesn't come to the continent that often.  It's really not that big of deal to me at least though.  From what I know of His Grace, that brings my popularity rating of him from like a 95 to a 93.  It could just swing up to a 96 or something with his next decision on whatever.  I was just curious why he wasn't there.

Actually, I was even more curious why none of:  Met. Nikitas, Met. Gerasimos, Bp. Benjamin, Bp. Joseph or Bp. Maxim were at the IOCC dinner on Sunday.  We had His Grace Bp Ilia of the GOA Albanian diocese, who I'm sure most people there were like, who the heck is he?  He was nice enough though - just weird not seeing ANY of the California bishops.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 03:09:20 AM »

Elisha,

Bishop Joseph was in Boston over the weekend with the Patriarch of Antioch.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 09:54:58 AM »

Thanks be to God for all things!  My belief is that if the Trustees of the Archdiocese have now gone through the expense of  architectual plans that there is now a commitment in the Archdiocese to have a monastery.  Lets take one step at a time and rejoice that there is progress.  Often out of a small stream comes a mighty river, perhaps the opening of one monastery will allow for the building of more in the future. Lets get this one built and populated first.

Thomas
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 04:47:10 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 04:12:43 AM »

Someone posted this on Monachos...

"Learn about a new initiative from His Eminence Metropolitan PHILIP to start two new women's monsteries in North America. We talk with Project Director Fr. John Anderson."

Two New Antiochian Women’s Monasteries (go to the Oct. 29th show)

One is to be in Olympia Washington, and the other one is to be near the Antiochian Village in PA.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 04:16:48 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 05:52:12 AM »

They better build that Olympia one super-duper dampness and mold proof then.  This was a big reason Fr. Jonah (now Metropolitan) moved the Monastery of St. John of Shanghai and SF from Pt. Reyes to Manton.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 07:42:35 AM »

They better build that Olympia one super-duper dampness and mold proof then.  This was a big reason Fr. Jonah (now Metropolitan) moved the Monastery of St. John of Shanghai and SF from Pt. Reyes to Manton.

A thick and durable dampcourse over the footings would be a start.  laugh
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 12:14:42 PM »

Where will the monastics come from?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »

Where will the monastics come from?

Either people of the Antiochian Archdiocese, or rocks that Christ will turn into descendants of Abraham.

---------------------
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »

There are already both men and women from the Antiochian Archdiocese who were blessed by their Antiochian Bishops to enter monastic life throughout the US, Greece, Russia, Mt Athos, and Lebanon. Perhaps it is just the process of calling them home.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
SakranMM
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 05:12:57 PM »

Regarding Bp. BASIL's absence in Boston, as was noted, he was at the elevation of an archpriest in Houston.  As was also noted, it was planned for months.  I was youth director of that parish in Houston before coming to seminary, and a banquet was planned well over a year ago, not only for the elevation of the priest, but also for the parish's 80th anniversary.  On another note, the Patriarch's visit, while important, wasn't really announced until a few weeks before he came.  A large parish simply cannot cancel a huge banquet and elevation like that on short notice after people had already planned and arranged the parish calendar around it, as I'm sure Bishop BASIL did his calendar.  Sayidna Basil is a wonderful bishop, and a living saint as far as I'm concerned.  His absence, in my book, was absolutely excusable and permissible regarding the circumstances.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 10:56:04 PM »

I remember having many a conversation about this subject with church mates, and many felt called to the monastic life, but grieved that our archdiocese had nothing in the country to offer.  A few have flown to Syria to become monks.  I think this is a great step foreward, and I hope that it is a dream realized as soon as possible.

I just hope they dont keep the name "The Antiochian Monastary".  It sounds a bit....well.....corny.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
SakranMM
Elder

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »

Just an insight on the monastery business:  We had discussed the issue of Antiochian Monasticism on my blog a few days ago, and here's what my take on it was:

I know of several Antiochians who have gone into monasticism, and just found it easier to enter one of the established Greek or OCA monasteries. I would love to see Antiochian monasticism in America, but I think I can also safely say that it isn't a huge concern of the Archdiocese right now. The Archdiocese has been at the forefront of making Orthodoxy accessible to America. This isn't bias or anything, but it seems that the Antiochians are, for the most part, the most convert-friendly jurisdiction out there, and are also taking great steps to push the movement for Orthodox unity in America (although the election of Met. JONAH is certainly a wonderful move by the OCA to heal things and get moving in that direction as well.) Right now, in other words, those seem to be the biggest concerns for the Archdiocese, and while the anchor of monastic prayer is certainly an essential thing, with the number of Orthodox monasteries we have in America as of now, I'm not sure it would do a lot of good to set up an Antiochian monastery just to say that we have one. Antiochians interested in monasticism would flourish and do just as much good for the strengthening of the Church Catholic in a Greek or OCA monastery. I believe the bigger concern is to fix the jurisdictional problem. I shouldn't even be saying "Greek" monastery - ideally, I should simply be writing "Orthodox" monastery, because that is the bigger goal. One church in America.

Finally, a reader commented that the proper term should not be Antiochian or Greek or Russian monastery.  Quite simply, and I agree with him, it should be "American" monastery.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:28:54 PM by SakranMM » Logged

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 11:35:53 PM »

Just an insight on the monastery business:  We had discussed the issue of Antiochian Monasticism on my blog a few days ago, and here's what my take on it was:

I know of several Antiochians who have gone into monasticism, and just found it easier to enter one of the established Greek or OCA monasteries. I would love to see Antiochian monasticism in America, but I think I can also safely say that it isn't a huge concern of the Archdiocese right now. The Archdiocese has been at the forefront of making Orthodoxy accessible to America. This isn't bias or anything, but it seems that the Antiochians are, for the most part, the most convert-friendly jurisdiction out there, and are also taking great steps to push the movement for Orthodox unity in America (although the election of Met. JONAH is certainly a wonderful move by the OCA to heal things and get moving in that direction as well.) Right now, in other words, those seem to be the biggest concerns for the Archdiocese, and while the anchor of monastic prayer is certainly an essential thing, with the number of Orthodox monasteries we have in America as of now, I'm not sure it would do a lot of good to set up an Antiochian monastery just to say that we have one. Antiochians interested in monasticism would flourish and do just as much good for the strengthening of the Church Catholic in a Greek or OCA monastery. I believe the bigger concern is to fix the jurisdictional problem. I shouldn't even be saying "Greek" monastery - ideally, I should simply be writing "Orthodox" monastery, because that is the bigger goal. One church in America.

Finally, a reader commented that the proper term should not be Antiochian or Greek or Russian monastery.  Quite simply, and I agree with him, it should be "American" monastery.

I don't think so. Instead of "American," how about "A Monastery Dedicated to the Lord."

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
SakranMM
Elder

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 09:58:52 AM »

Granted, my brother.  That's a given.  I'm simply speaking from a jurisdictional standpoint. 

VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »

There's already two monasteries in the midwest that need support: St. Isaac of syria Skete in Boscobel, WI and Resurrection Skete in Fridley, MN.

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 02:01:57 PM »

Has anyone in the know heard anything more about these proposed monasteries?

podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 02:31:17 PM »

Fr. George is right and here we go again, picking up on old jurisdictional rivalries, old jealousies and old stereotypes and being critical of the goals of others -all to no good end. I had the privilege to attend a wedding in western PA between a Seminarian from a non-Greek diocese and a young lady from the GOA. They met at an Orthodox camp over the years and it was the unity of faith - not ethnicity - that united them and all who attended. I wish our Antiochian Orthodox brothers and sisters only the best in their endeavors - for their success will be the success of all of us in the US.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 02:37:55 PM »

Has anyone in the know heard anything more about these proposed monasteries? 

I spoke with someone who met the Abbess on a trip to AV.  Said she was a very kind person, focused, and quite accessible - a blessing for someone starting something 'new' for the Archdiocese.  They did have a bad experience with her mocking someone's piety - they had asked permission to take a photo, and she made a joke about it as if it were a ridiculous request; however, I've never been to a monastery, either in Greece or in the US, where you didn't have to ask permission from a monk or the Abbot/Abbess to take photographs.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 02:39:02 PM »

I had the privilege to attend a wedding in western PA between a Seminarian from a non-Greek diocese and a young lady from the GOA. They met at an Orthodox camp over the years and it was the unity of faith - not ethnicity - that united them and all who attended. I wish our Antiochian Orthodox brothers and sisters only the best in their endeavors - for their success will be the success of all of us in the US.

PM me - I was at that wedding too, and the Koumbaro to boot.

---------------------
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 06:39:42 PM »

I'm excited to see the growth of monasticism in America. We have a new women's monastery in the Ozarks which was just consecrated a couple of months ago. It'd be great to see a men's monastery around here as well. Wherever monasticism is on the rise, we will see spiritual growth there.

Do you have contact info for this monastery?  I go down to the Ozarks quite a bit, (Mom has family cabin at the Lake of the Ozarks)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »

Do you have contact info for this monastery?  I go down to the Ozarks quite a bit, (Mom has family cabin at the Lake of the Ozarks)
Yes. Here's their website: http://www.presentationmonastery.org/. Scroll down to the bottom of the front page, and you'll find an address and phone number.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 11:54:13 PM »

Thank you ytterbiumanalyst.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »

Well, the Antiochian monastery for women is apparently up and running, any news on when the guys are going to get an Antiochian monastery?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 12:19:56 PM »

Well, the Antiochian monastery for women is apparently up and running, any news on when the guys are going to get an Antiochian monastery?

It is indeed "up and running."  They need novices, and maybe a few experienced sisters to join.  I feel bad for the Abbess - she's got an enormous task, being the only monk there right now and having to build the monastery up from scratch.

---------------------
Tags: Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: