OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 03:37:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nativity Story Movie  (Read 1173 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: November 04, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »

In the movie The Nativity Story(2006), there is a scene where a man is unable to pay his taxes to Ceasar and so has his daughter taken by a Roman soldier to pay off his debt. I'm curious, when Jewish children were taken to pay a family's debts, were they ever used as prostitutes or did they just work as slaves and servants? When these children returned, were they accepted back into the Jewish community?
Undecided

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:34:54 PM »

Basing your knowledge of history on what comes out of Hollywood? Undecided
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:00:52 PM »

Myrrh, I was slapped by a Jewish girl in middle school for using the term "temple prostitute."

Do you believe that the White House was vaporized in Independence Day?   Roll Eyes 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:01:28 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 11:28:16 PM »

Myrrh,

From what I understand, you had to be sold specifically as a concubine for any fooling around to take place.  There could, of course, be exceptions, but servant girls were by and large just that: servants, not harem members.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 12:46:41 AM »

Basing your knowledge of history on what comes out of Hollywood? Undecided

Ok, maybe I should have asked if Jewish children were taken to begin with... Cheesy

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 12:49:19 AM »

Myrrh, I was slapped by a Jewish girl in middle school for using the term "temple prostitute."

Do you believe that the White House was vaporized in Independence Day?   Roll Eyes 

Anybody have a sweater? Your sarcasm is chilly.

No, SolEX, I don't believe that.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 01:26:44 AM »

Anybody have a sweater? Your sarcasm is chilly.

Something hit a nerve with me probably when I remembered getting slapped by my Jewish friend for the comment I made.  I apologize if I came across as chilly although the Roman Empire employed young boys as servants and more than servants, if you get my drift.  In 1st Century Judaea, the sexual purity of young girls was easier to maintain.

No, SolEX, I don't believe that.

How about any Michael Moore movie - are those movies an accurate portrayal of historical events?
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 04:00:05 AM »

If a girl was sold as a slave to a Roman couldn't he do what he wanted. She was after all his property or am I wrong here?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: