OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 09:59:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johh Grogan book, The Longest Trip Home  (Read 2010 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrea

« on: November 02, 2008, 12:14:54 PM »

I found out yesterday that my mother bought my 15 yo old son a book for Christmas and after reading the reviews of the book, I have some concerns.  It's called The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan. Has anyone by chance read this? If so, what did you think of it?  I'm concerned that the themes might not be appropriate for a 15 yo boy. 

Thanks!

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:57:08 PM »

After reading the synopsis of the book, I'd guess that some of the themes may not be appropriate reading for a 15yr old.  But I'd also say that most of the themes are being discussed by him and his friends; at least you can bet they're on his mind.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Andrea

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 08:21:53 PM »

Hi! Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I read a couple of reviews and also had the thought that it might not be appropriate for his age, though you bring up a good point about what he's probably thinking.   I think what I'm going to do is to try to check it out of the library and read it through.

Thanks!
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:37:19 PM »

Hi! Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I read a couple of reviews and also had the thought that it might not be appropriate for his age, though you bring up a good point about what he's probably thinking.   I think what I'm going to do is to try to check it out of the library and read it through.

Thanks!

I think it would depend. I think I would have been mature enough to understand it and for it to be appropriate. But yeah its you and your spouses decision on where you believe your sons spiritual and mature enough to grasp it and feel appropriate reading it.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 10:13:18 PM »

Reading it yourself is a good idea.  Reading it together with your son might open up a more adult level of discourse, one in which he both feels comfortable bringing up challenging topics and values your opinion.

But I'm betting that if he knows you are reading the book and that you want to discuss it with him, he'll never even look at the title page.  Too much like homework. 

So offering to read it together is a win-win.   Wink
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:34:10 PM »

Reading it yourself is a good idea.  Reading it together with your son might open up a more adult level of discourse, one in which he both feels comfortable bringing up challenging topics and values your opinion.

But I'm betting that if he knows you are reading the book and that you want to discuss it with him, he'll never even look at the title page.  Too much like homework. 

I read the synopsis of the book and as a guy I would maybe want to discuss this stuff with my dad but could possibly be awkward with my mum and this is an assumption but the posters name sounds female. But again maybe American culture is different to Oz. 

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »

I read the synopsis of the book and as a guy I would maybe want to discuss this stuff with my dad but could possibly be awkward with my mum and this is an assumption but the posters name sounds female. But again maybe American culture is different to Oz. 

Or even a godfather perhaps....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »

Or even a godfather perhaps....

Well sadly the position of Godfather in the "Orthodoxy" I was brought up with is an honour title for your dad or mums best mate, not someone who will be there to help you with spiritual questions and struggles Cheesy

Andrea

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »

Thank you all for your input on this, especially taking the time to look up the book.  You've given me some different perspectives on this, and I appreciate it! I hadn't thought of reading it with him, or having him read it/talk about it with his dad.

Thanks!
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »

It was not my intention to say that mother, as opposed to father, should discuss the book with son.  I was aiming more at the parent(s) should discuss it with his/her/their child(ren).  Sorry for the confusion.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 01:45:37 AM »

It was not my intention to say that mother, as opposed to father, should discuss the book with son.  I was aiming more at the parent(s) should discuss it with his/her/their child(ren).  Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry about my inference Sad

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: