OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:34:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chanting "Lord Have Mercy" very fast..  (Read 2027 times) Average Rating: 0
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate: Orthodox Metropolis of Hong Kong and Southeast Asia

The Blind Bandit

« on: November 01, 2008, 10:29:42 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2scpPh7yJGM&feature=related

while I agree that this chant is very solemn and beautifull.. Is it really necessary that we chant, Lord Have Mercy this fast? I understand why we repeat it so many times, but why this fast in some cases? Maybe its about saving time, but what about on the internalizing of the things we say in prayer, aren't they lost in this way?

Just curios..

In ICXC,
Wilbur

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 11:05:30 AM »

Except for the size of the cathedral, this could almost have been filmed/recorded in my church!!

I've often wondered why it must be sung so fast and so many times (40 times?). So often in general, the slavonic is sung so very quickly there's almost no way to catch all the words or to understand everything. The words often get swallowed up due to the acoustics.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »

Absolutely beautiful; inspiring.  Thanks for the link.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 12:44:09 PM »

I forgot to thank you for the link, sohma. Indeed, it was very beautiful!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »

I asked about this on OC.net about 5-6 years ago, though I don't remember the response to my question Lips Sealed I agree with you that it seems strange to say the words so fast that they are almost a jumble (though I can't tell if that's the case in the video).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:01:15 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 04:01:53 PM »

The Greeks also have very fast chants of "Kyrie Eleison", which can be just as beautiful in their use of cadences. The singing on the video may have been fast, but the diction was still very clear, as it should be.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »

I've sung this setting of the 100-fold (actually 70-fold in this musical arrangement) "Lord have mercy" (alternating between English and Slavonic) many times for the Vigil of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (September 14).  My take on the experience is that it's really possible to lose sense of the greater liturgical pageantry and spirituality of the rite (i.e., the priest blessing the four directions of creation with the cross) by focusing too much on each individual "Lord have mercy."  Maybe it's better to think of all the little "Lord have mercy"s as one grand, long "Lord have mercy!"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:08:47 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 04:12:48 PM »

I've sung this setting of the 100-fold (actually 70-fold in this musical arrangement) "Lord have mercy" (alternating between English and Slavonic) many times for the Vigil of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (September 14).  My take on the experience is that it's really possible to lose sense of the greater liturgical pageantry and spirituality of the rite (i.e., the priest blessing the four directions of creation with the cross) by focusing too much on each individual "Lord have mercy."  Maybe it's better to think of all the little "Lord have mercy"s as one grand, long "Lord have mercy!"

Wow. What a beautiful thought!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 04:15:41 PM »

I didn't think that was fast.

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »

It's right about the tempo at which my choir director likes to take that arrangement.  It does take some rehearsal to get up to speed, but once well rehearsed, it really doesn't feel all that fast.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:21:04 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »

Every prayer is summarized in the words of the prayer "Lord have mercy!" So when it is chanted like this, to me it sounds like the prayer is resounding around the whole world, as though the whole Cosmos is chanting the prayer at once, which, in fact, it is.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:57:36 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 05:52:09 PM »

I found the thread that I mentioned earlier--and it was only 3 1/2 years ago  Smiley  I still wonder if the practice doesn't sometimes approach "vain repetitions," though I didn't think that about this video in particular.
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate: Orthodox Metropolis of Hong Kong and Southeast Asia

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 08:23:56 PM »

I forgot to thank you for the link, sohma. Indeed, it was very beautiful!

Your welcome Roseship!  Grin

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 08:25:26 PM »

Every prayer is summarized in the words of the prayer "Lord have mercy!" So when it is chanted like this, to me it sounds like the prayer is resounding around the whole world, as though the whole Cosmos is chanting the prayer at once, which, in fact, it is.

beautiful thought.. thanks George! chanting it very fast many times, does make it sound like a part of your being..

sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »

I found the thread that I mentioned earlier--and it was only 3 1/2 years ago  Smiley  I still wonder if the practice doesn't sometimes approach "vain repetitions," though I didn't think that about this video in particular.

Have read the posts in the link.. Thank you so much for them!

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »

Nor did I

sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 08:39:50 PM »

Nor did I

Your just used to it I guess.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 12:18:14 AM »

It's right about the tempo at which my choir director likes to take that arrangement.  It does take some rehearsal to get up to speed, but once well rehearsed, it really doesn't feel all that fast.
The main issue for me (adding to a thought several hours later) is finding places to breathe.  Bad breath control can lead to a panting singer after each repetition of the hymn. Tongue
Tags: Exaltation of the Cross prayer Jesus Prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: