OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 05:35:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If we deliberately forget about politics...  (Read 1155 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: October 30, 2008, 10:53:19 AM »

Dear folks,

I have a question for both the Orthodox and the Catholic sides. It is, actually, on behalf of one of my very dear online friends, a young, 30-y.o. Ukrainian Eastern Rite Catholic priest from L'viv, Western Ukraine, called Father Oleh.

Fr. Oleh's question is this: if we deliberately disregard all political considerations and focus ONLY on theological considerations, would you say that it is GOOD if ONE of the bishops of the Orthodox Church (e.g., HAH Ecum. Patr. Bartholomew, or HH Patr. of Moscow and all Russia Alexiy) becomes THE primary earthly spiritual authority, the one arbiter who can, on his own, settle all the various disputes in the Church?

I understand that Fr. Oleh is wrestling with the idea of the "one earthly Primate of all Church" for quite a long time. He is one of those Eastern Rite Catholics who truly want to pay the due respect to both traditions of his jurisdiction, the Eastern (Byzantine) and the Latin. He would be grateful to hear your expert views on this isse.

Thank you,

G.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:19:22 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »

An Orthodox "Pope" ala Rome?

No, not good.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »

Dear folks,

I have a question for both the Orthodox and the Catholic sides. It is, actually, on behalf of one of my very dear online friends, a young, 30-y.o. Ukrainian Eastern Rite Catholic priest from L'viv, Western Ukraine, called Father Oleh.

Fr. Oleh's question is this: if we deliberately disregard all political considerations and focus ONLY on theological considerations, would you say that it is GOOD if ONE of the bishops of the Orthodox Church (e.g., HAH Ecum. Patr. Bartholomew, or HH Patr. of Moscow and all Russia Alexiy) becomes THE primary earthly spiritual authority, the one arbiter who can, on his own, settle all the various disputes in the Church?

I understand that Fr. Oleh is wrestling with the idea of the "one earthly Primate of all Church" for quite a long time. He is one of those Eastern Rite Catholics who truly want to pay the due respect to both traditions of his jurisdiction, the Eastern (Byzantine) and the Latin. He would be grateful to hear your expert views on this isse.

Thank you,

G.
No, not good.  No one is infallible in the Church except Christ.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »

I understand that Fr. Oleh is wrestling with the idea of the "one earthly Primate of all Church" for quite a long time. He is one of those Eastern Rite Catholics who truly want to pay the due respect to both traditions of his jurisdiction, the Eastern (Byzantine) and the Latin. He would be grateful to hear your expert views on this [issue].

One could make the argument that it's not even a Latin tradition to have "one earthly Primate of all Church". One could argue that that idea is more "Western" (since it more fully developed after the Church split between East and West), than strictly "Latin".

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »

if we deliberately disregard all political considerations and focus ONLY on theological considerations, would you say that it is GOOD if ONE of the bishops of the Orthodox Church (e.g., HAH Ecum. Patr. Bartholomew, or HH Patr. of Moscow and all Russia Alexiy) becomes THE primary earthly spiritual authority, the one arbiter who can, on his own, settle all the various disputes in the Church?

I'd have to agree with what others have said, I don't think that would work out, even with political considerations being left aside. I don't think a situation akin to that has really kept the Catholics out of trouble, and I don't see that it would keep the Orthodox out of trouble either.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 02:50:01 PM »

I also have to agree, and have another point to add: The Concilliar nature of the Church is itself an ecclesiological and therefore a theological consideration (not just a political one), so you cannot really divorce it from the question. The Concilliar nature of the Church comes from the fact that, according to Christ, the Church is the Icon of the Holy Trinity (John 17:21), and requires aggreement between two or more (Matthew 18:19). Furthermore, Christ alone is the Head of the Church (Colossians 1:18) and everyone else, including the Bishops, the Saints in Heaven, and even the Theotokos, are the Body.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:30:53 PM »

No.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »

Thank you all very, very much for your insight! --G.

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: