Author Topic: Study Finds More U.S. Orthodox Christian Converts  (Read 10995 times)

Online Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
Study Finds More U.S. Orthodox Christian Converts
« on: October 24, 2008, 05:04:00 AM »
Study finds more U.S. Orthodox Christian converts

"A new study of Orthodox Christians in America has found a larger-than-expected number of converts, mostly from Roman Catholic and evangelical Protestant backgrounds..."
"Christian America is finally waking up to what fraternities and biker gangs have known for years: hazing works!"

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
Re: Study Finds More U.S. Orthodox Christian Converts
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:10:35 AM »
Very interesting.

Given the venue, USAToday, we might be reaching the edges of the public radar of awareness.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »
Study finds more U.S. Orthodox Christian converts

"A new study of Orthodox Christians in America has found a larger-than-expected number of converts, mostly from Roman Catholic and evangelical Protestant backgrounds..."
This doesn't suprise me. As protestantism continues to fall into the opposing errors of fundamentalism and just outright heresy, Eastern Orthodoxy appears to be a much safer place that is anchored in the Tradition of the Apostles. As for the Catholic Church in America, we are in bad shape. Here in the united states, even thoguh we have the teachings of the Apostles, we are plauged by week bishops and liberal priests
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:14:08 PM »
The converts are balancing out the unchurched/dechurched.

Only 10% of Orthodox parishioniers are foreign born ... I don't buy that for a minute.

Offline Starlight

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:59:51 PM »
Thank you for sharing good news.

Very interesting.

Given the venue, USAToday, we might be reaching the edges of the public radar of awareness.

Agree.

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:02:59 PM »
we are plauged by week bishops and liberal priests

And also a weak and liberal laity which compound the problem.  Very unfortunate for you.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline lubeltri

• Latin Catholic layman
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 12:03:44 AM »
we are plauged by week bishops and liberal priests

And also a weak and liberal laity which compound the problem.  Very unfortunate for you.

Well, we have similar problems as the Orthodox laity do in Orthodox countries like Greece. The way of Christ is a narrow path! There are 70 million Catholics in this country---a great many are nominal.

Before, we had a much more overtly Christian culture to lead people to regular practice of the faith. Now that is gone.

The future of the Catholic Church in America is smaller in numerical size but more committed and orthodox.

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 12:30:52 AM »
The converts are balancing out the unchurched/dechurched.

Only 10% of Orthodox parishioniers are foreign born ... I don't buy that for a minute.
My understanding is the study was limited to GOA and OCA parishes in the west coast. The majority of Greek and Eastern European immigration occurred nearly 100 years ago so this statistic makes perfect sense. The Greek community also has been a very closed community to such an extent that there are many people, while born in America, are actually ESL (English as a Second Language) and thus give the appearance that they are foreign born. 
Joseph

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 01:00:40 AM »
My understanding is the study was limited to GOA and OCA parishes in the west coast.

Under those conditions, I believe that less than 10% of Orthodox are foreign born.

The majority of Greek and Eastern European immigration occurred nearly 100 years ago so this statistic makes perfect sense. The Greek community also has been a very closed community to such an extent that there are many people, while born in America, are actually ESL (English as a Second Language) and thus give the appearance that they are foreign born.

In my Church alone, I can count the number of foreign born on both hands.  In the larger ethnic enclaves where Greek immigrants came as recently as 35-45 years ago (albeit in small numbers), the numbers are likely 20% foreign born.  Regardless, the percentage of foreign born Orthodox is rapidly declining.   :(

Offline prodromas

• OC.net guru
  • Greek Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 01:07:07 AM »
The number of foreign born Orthodox in the greek church in my dioceses  is about 90%
The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 01:20:37 AM »
The number of foreign born Orthodox in the greek church in my dioceses  is about 90%
You are in Australia so your immigration patterns are complete different that what is being discussed here.
Joseph

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 01:38:22 AM »
AFAIK, Greeks (and others, Serbs, Russians, et al.) enter Australia as if there was a river from their countries to Oz.

If 90% of the Dioceses hail from Greece (or elsewhere), that was the setting 100 years ago except that the ethnicies marry each other and not the Australians.  I would bet interfaith marriage rates between ethnic Orthodox and Australians at less than 25%?

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 08:18:40 AM »
AFAIK, Greeks (and others, Serbs, Russians, et al.) enter Australia as if there was a river from their countries to Oz.

If 90% of the Dioceses hail from Greece (or elsewhere), that was the setting 100 years ago except that the ethnicies marry each other and not the Australians.  I would bet interfaith marriage rates between ethnic Orthodox and Australians at less than 25%?
That would be completely different than here in the states.  Intermarriage is half or more.  Part of the difference might just be size: Australia's lower population concentrated in a smaller area makes it easier to maintain the enclaves.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 01:06:18 PM »
I receive the weekly newsletter from Christian History. There is a list of this week's most read articles. Number 2 is "Orthodoxy, explained" and number 3 is "Ask the expert: Eastern Orthodox Christians". This isn't very scientific, but does illustrate the interest in Orthodoxy by evangelicals.

Jim

Offline LakaYaRabb

• Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 02:27:53 PM »
The fact that the majority of clergy and laity in the OCA are converts is not surprising (probably not to anyone here). Comforting, actually.

Offline Starlight

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 10:06:37 PM »
Even among foreign-born clergy of UOC-USA there are some converts. Former Catholics, former agnostics.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »
I receive the weekly newsletter from Christian History. There is a list of this week's most read articles. Number 2 is "Orthodoxy, explained" and number 3 is "Ask the expert: Eastern Orthodox Christians". This isn't very scientific, but does illustrate the interest in Orthodoxy by evangelicals.

Jim

That's very interesting!  Are there copies of these articles online?
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Thomas

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 08:56:24 AM »
It is interesting to note that the Antiochian parishes were not surveyed, the ratio of converts would have gone up further if my  observations of other Antiiochian parishes is any example.

Thomas
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline Simayan

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »
Who knows - we may become well known enough to be considered a fringe group!  :D
"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 04:03:51 PM »

Jim

Back on a now closed forum on another network, there was posted a manual for Baptist missionaries going to Orthodox contries, good enough for being, with a little modification, an Orthodox Catechism.  Does anyone know what I am talking about, and where you can get it on line (I lost my down loaded versiion).
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Nyssa The Hobbit

• Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
  • Elder
    • Who is this Nyssa person, anyway?
Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.