OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 09:59:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Study Finds More U.S. Orthodox Christian Converts  (Read 10935 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« on: October 24, 2008, 05:04:00 AM »

Study finds more U.S. Orthodox Christian converts

"A new study of Orthodox Christians in America has found a larger-than-expected number of converts, mostly from Roman Catholic and evangelical Protestant backgrounds..."

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:10:35 AM »

Very interesting.

Given the venue, USAToday, we might be reaching the edges of the public radar of awareness.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »

Study finds more U.S. Orthodox Christian converts

"A new study of Orthodox Christians in America has found a larger-than-expected number of converts, mostly from Roman Catholic and evangelical Protestant backgrounds..."
This doesn't suprise me. As protestantism continues to fall into the opposing errors of fundamentalism and just outright heresy, Eastern Orthodoxy appears to be a much safer place that is anchored in the Tradition of the Apostles. As for the Catholic Church in America, we are in bad shape. Here in the united states, even thoguh we have the teachings of the Apostles, we are plauged by week bishops and liberal priests

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:14:08 PM »

The converts are balancing out the unchurched/dechurched.

Only 10% of Orthodox parishioniers are foreign born ... I don't buy that for a minute.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:59:51 PM »

Thank you for sharing good news.

Very interesting.

Given the venue, USAToday, we might be reaching the edges of the public radar of awareness.

Agree.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:02:59 PM »

we are plauged by week bishops and liberal priests

And also a weak and liberal laity which compound the problem.  Very unfortunate for you.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 12:03:44 AM »

we are plauged by week bishops and liberal priests

And also a weak and liberal laity which compound the problem.  Very unfortunate for you.

Well, we have similar problems as the Orthodox laity do in Orthodox countries like Greece. The way of Christ is a narrow path! There are 70 million Catholics in this country---a great many are nominal.

Before, we had a much more overtly Christian culture to lead people to regular practice of the faith. Now that is gone.

The future of the Catholic Church in America is smaller in numerical size but more committed and orthodox.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 12:30:52 AM »

The converts are balancing out the unchurched/dechurched.

Only 10% of Orthodox parishioniers are foreign born ... I don't buy that for a minute.
My understanding is the study was limited to GOA and OCA parishes in the west coast. The majority of Greek and Eastern European immigration occurred nearly 100 years ago so this statistic makes perfect sense. The Greek community also has been a very closed community to such an extent that there are many people, while born in America, are actually ESL (English as a Second Language) and thus give the appearance that they are foreign born. 

Joseph
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 01:00:40 AM »

My understanding is the study was limited to GOA and OCA parishes in the west coast.

Under those conditions, I believe that less than 10% of Orthodox are foreign born.

The majority of Greek and Eastern European immigration occurred nearly 100 years ago so this statistic makes perfect sense. The Greek community also has been a very closed community to such an extent that there are many people, while born in America, are actually ESL (English as a Second Language) and thus give the appearance that they are foreign born.

In my Church alone, I can count the number of foreign born on both hands.  In the larger ethnic enclaves where Greek immigrants came as recently as 35-45 years ago (albeit in small numbers), the numbers are likely 20% foreign born.  Regardless, the percentage of foreign born Orthodox is rapidly declining.   Sad
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 01:07:07 AM »

The number of foreign born Orthodox in the greek church in my dioceses  is about 90%

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 01:20:37 AM »

The number of foreign born Orthodox in the greek church in my dioceses  is about 90%
You are in Australia so your immigration patterns are complete different that what is being discussed here.

Joseph
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 01:38:22 AM »

AFAIK, Greeks (and others, Serbs, Russians, et al.) enter Australia as if there was a river from their countries to Oz.

If 90% of the Dioceses hail from Greece (or elsewhere), that was the setting 100 years ago except that the ethnicies marry each other and not the Australians.  I would bet interfaith marriage rates between ethnic Orthodox and Australians at less than 25%?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 08:18:40 AM »

AFAIK, Greeks (and others, Serbs, Russians, et al.) enter Australia as if there was a river from their countries to Oz.

If 90% of the Dioceses hail from Greece (or elsewhere), that was the setting 100 years ago except that the ethnicies marry each other and not the Australians.  I would bet interfaith marriage rates between ethnic Orthodox and Australians at less than 25%?
That would be completely different than here in the states.  Intermarriage is half or more.  Part of the difference might just be size: Australia's lower population concentrated in a smaller area makes it easier to maintain the enclaves.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 01:06:18 PM »

I receive the weekly newsletter from Christian History. There is a list of this week's most read articles. Number 2 is "Orthodoxy, explained" and number 3 is "Ask the expert: Eastern Orthodox Christians". This isn't very scientific, but does illustrate the interest in Orthodoxy by evangelicals.

Jim
LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 02:27:53 PM »

The fact that the majority of clergy and laity in the OCA are converts is not surprising (probably not to anyone here). Comforting, actually.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 10:06:37 PM »

Even among foreign-born clergy of UOC-USA there are some converts. Former Catholics, former agnostics.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »

I receive the weekly newsletter from Christian History. There is a list of this week's most read articles. Number 2 is "Orthodoxy, explained" and number 3 is "Ask the expert: Eastern Orthodox Christians". This isn't very scientific, but does illustrate the interest in Orthodoxy by evangelicals.

Jim

That's very interesting!  Are there copies of these articles online?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 08:56:24 AM »

It is interesting to note that the Antiochian parishes were not surveyed, the ratio of converts would have gone up further if my  observations of other Antiiochian parishes is any example.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »

Who knows - we may become well known enough to be considered a fringe group!  Cheesy

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 04:03:51 PM »

Jim

Back on a now closed forum on another network, there was posted a manual for Baptist missionaries going to Orthodox contries, good enough for being, with a little modification, an Orthodox Catechism.  Does anyone know what I am talking about, and where you can get it on line (I lost my down loaded versiion).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 08:09:53 PM »

Is this it?

http://www.namb.net/atf/cf/%7BCDA250E8-8866-4236-9A0C-C646DE153446%7D/BB_E_Orthodox_Manual.pdf

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 08:14:21 PM »

Yes, that's the one.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: