OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 04:10:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: age limits on monastics  (Read 1449 times) Average Rating: 0
sedan

Faith: on the road..orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian USA

« on: October 26, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »

Hello all, a quick question, is there an age limit on entry into a monastry? I mean, is there a certain that monasteries say you are too old to enter?
Blessings.
Sedan.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »

Not stating the obvious, but in particular wouldn't it be easier to find out by calling the monastery you would be interested in joining to find out the answer? 

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:15:18 AM »

If i was the spiritual father of a monastery, I would take especial care to put older aspirants through a more rigorous evaluation. Not to be cynical, but there is always the possibility of the monastery as retirement home - quite a potential drain on the monastery's resources, as the person ages and becomes infirm.

That being said, in no way am I suggesting any ill motive on username's part. So, in advance, please do not take offense. I don't even know your age or situation!

I would be reassured by any monastery making entry requirements just a little more rigorous for older aspirants than younger ones.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 12:19:29 AM »

it depends on where the monastery is.  Legal age is a requirement to live away from your legal guardians or parents, unless they sign a waver or something like that.  In the US the legal age is 18, but in greece i'm not sure what it is. 

There are always exceptions though, and there are cases where people have lied about their age when going into a monastery.  I know the abbot at St. Paul's on Mt. Athos has been at that monastery since he was 14.  So...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
sedan

Faith: on the road..orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian USA

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 07:05:04 PM »

Hello all. Thank you for your answers all. username, I am not seeking to enter a monastery, I am married, and have a daughter who is an adult I rarley see, so joining a monastery is not really an option for me. I asked because of the many different things I have seen about Orthodoxy, and because in many protestant denominations there is an age limit on entering the ministry as well as a forced retirement age. I know that in the RCC, people are limited to 45 or 50 on entering a monastery, although I'm not sure of the secular preisthood, and at 65 most protestants force retire pastors. My curiosity was based on not only the exclusiveness of monastic's(by no means meant as a derogitory word, exclusiveness is not all that bad), but also the inclusiveness of Orthodoxy. I have spent all of my adult life(I was forbidden to go to church as a child by atheistic parents) as a protestant and am very very new to Orthodoxy, I'm like a sheet of paper that was written all over, but is currently being erased.
Blessings to all.
Sedan.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:29:34 PM »

Blessings to you as well, Sedan!
drewmeister2
Elder

Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:35:49 PM »

I have heard many stories in recent times of husbands becoming monks after their wife dies (A few weeks ago I remember reading about a father who, after his wife died, actually became a monk in the same monastery that his son was a monk in), so I would imagine there is no age limit like you often see at Catholic monasteries.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:36:49 PM by drewmeister2 » Logged

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Tags: Monasticism Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: