Author Topic: No Greek School on Halloween?  (Read 1943 times)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
No Greek School on Halloween?
« on: October 28, 2008, 02:45:24 PM »
I find it absolutely bizarre that Greek School will not meet on Halloween at my Church?  Are other Greek Schools meeting on Halloween?

To compound things in my Community, the Greek festival takes place the following Friday through the weekend.  I can see why Greek School is not held for a Greek festival but for Halloween?

Offline Thomas

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
Re: No Greek School on Halloween?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 03:02:36 PM »
Private schools may of course take any holidays they choose.  Perhaps they are just avoiding the hub bub many children find oabout Halloween (I remember as achild, my public school just had a party all day as the kids were too busy with visions of candy corn and candied apples in our mind all day to get much out of school) or perhaps they do not want their children coming in  wanting to dress in costumes for school that day---some secular schools allow this. I am sure they may have a reason for this perhaps it would be best to ask the school authorities.

Thomas
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline Fr. George

• Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 03:08:55 PM »
I know of one Greek school that doesn't meet because they had 90+% absence rates the previous time Halloween fell on that day; making it a day off saved the teachers the hassle of the preparation time and commute.
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, & godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope & glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed & purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.  Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. (Titus 2:11-15)

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »
Even for public schools, the only holidays mandated are the federal ones (Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, MLK Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, and Independence Day). The schools can take any other holidays they want. I know of several schools around here that close the day before the beginning of deer season (It always on a Saturday in Missouri) due to low attendance. If the community wants it to be a holiday, it can be. Private schools, of course, have much more flexibility in these matters, and can close whenever for whatever reason.

That said, I know of no schools in this area, private or public, which are closing on Halloween.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Fr. George

• Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:02:55 PM »
Even for public schools, the only holidays mandated are the federal ones (Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, MLK Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, and Independence Day). The schools can take any other holidays they want. I know of several schools around here that close the day before the beginning of deer season (It always on a Saturday in Missouri) due to low attendance. If the community wants it to be a holiday, it can be. Private schools, of course, have much more flexibility in these matters, and can close whenever for whatever reason.

That said, I know of no schools in this area, private or public, which are closing on Halloween.

Well, I think the OP is referring to a Greek-language afternoon school, not a full-time or day school, which is why this cancellation is even considered.
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, & godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope & glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed & purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.  Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. (Titus 2:11-15)

Offline AMM

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »
I can't imagine that if it's after regular school, that hardly anyone would go.

Offline Fr. George

• Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »
I can't imagine that if it's after regular school, that hardly anyone would go.

Right.  After-school language programs have a hard enough time as it is enticing students to come instead of participating in some school-related extracurricular.  Now they're also competing with a once-yearly Diabetes Promotion Day which (nowadays, not when I was young) is restricted to daylight hours.  "Forget Greek School" is the sentiment of most youth on Halloween.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »
Well, I think the OP is referring to a Greek-language afternoon school, not a full-time or day school, which is why this cancellation is even considered.
Oh, well in that case, I can see a very good reason to close. Anything scheduled after 4 PM on a Halloween that falls on a Friday is going to be attended only by paid staff.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 05:08:51 PM by ytterbiumanalyst »
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 05:09:05 PM »

Absolutely correct.   ;D

I see where a 90% absence rate on Halloween = an extra week of planning.  Honestly, when I attended afternoon Greek School, I didn't recall taking Halloween off.  How times have changed....   ::)

Offline Fr. George

• Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 05:25:59 PM »
Oh, well in that case, I can see a very good reason to close. Anything scheduled after 4 PM on a Halloween that falls on a Friday is going to be attended only by paid staff.

Exactly; and many Greek school teachers in this country are volunteers, which makes the situation more difficult.

I see where a 90% absence rate on Halloween = an extra week of planning. 

Yeah - a wasted week.  Poor teachers, to spend the time planning a lesson, only to have most of the kids not show up.

Honestly, when I attended afternoon Greek School, I didn't recall taking Halloween off.  How times have changed....   ::)

I don't think we did, but I could be wrong, especially since (when I was in) Greek School was 2 nights per week (90 minutes per night).  Of course, this was almost two decades ago.