OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 10:25:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Mary sinless?  (Read 7621 times) Average Rating: 0
Carico

Faith: Christian

« on: October 24, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »

Do Catholics believe that Mary was born sinless? If so, then since God is the only one who is sinless, then the Catholics must think that Mary is God. If so, then since Mary isn't included in the trinity, then the Catholics worship 2 Gods which breaks the first two commandments.  Otherwise, how do you explain your claims? Huh
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:16:43 PM by Carico » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 08:19:38 PM »

Do Catholics believe that Mary was born sinless? If so, then since God is the only one who is sinless, then the Catholics must think that Mary is God. If so, then since Mary isn't included in the trinity, then the Catholics worship 2 Gods which breaks the first two commandments.  Otherwise, how do you explain your claims? Huh
Whom do you think we are?
Carico

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 08:22:47 PM »

Off-topic. Please respond to the OP.  Smiley
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »

Your question seems to have little to do with Orthodox or Protestants. Please respond to the moderator.

--YtterbiumAnalyst
Orthodox-Protestant Discussion Section Moderator

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Carico

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 08:28:19 PM »

Nice dodge. But it still doesn't justify your beliefs. Sorry.  Wink
Your question seems to have little to do with Orthodox or Protestants. Please respond to the moderator.

--YtterbiumAnalyst

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »

No.  If you mistake us for Roman Catholics, which you apparently do, then my question is very much on topic.  Whom do you think we are?
Carico

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »

No.  If you mistake us for Roman Catholics, which you apparently do, then my question is very much on topic.  Whom do you think we are?

Your answers will tell me.  Wink
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »

--YtterbiumAnalyst

Nice dodge. But it still doesn't justify your beliefs. Sorry.  Wink
So the formal request of this board's moderator is dodging the question?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »

Carico,

I'd like to welcome you to the forum, but just to be clear: this is an Eastern Orthodox forum and NOT a Roman Catholic forum.  Your questions suggest that you have little understanding of the two.

In Christ,
Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »

No.  If you mistake us for Roman Catholics, which you apparently do, then my question is very much on topic.  Whom do you think we are?

Look, you have two moderators requesting formally that you answer my question.  Either answer my question directly with a clear statement of what you think us to be, or stop posting on this thread.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 08:35:50 PM »

What happens if we told you we have a completely different understanding of sin then the legalistic action against God.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »

Please see this rule re: a request made by a moderator. PetertheAleut requested that you provide him with relevant information; please comply with his request.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:36:37 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Carico

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 08:39:14 PM »

Please see this rule re: a request made by a moderator. PetertheAleut requested that you provide him with relevant information; please comply with his request.

I can't answer the question until you tell me who you are. But if you want to leave that vague, then of course, neither I, nor anyone can know who you are. So will you answer my question honestly? if not, then I can't answer your question either. Sorry.  Smiley
 Publicly refusing to comply with an official request from a moderator.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:40:30 PM by Carico » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »

I can't answer the question until you tell me who you are. But if you want to leave that vague, then of course, neither I, nor anyone can know who you are. So will you answer my question honestly? if not, then neither can I answer your question. Sorry.  Smiley
You come to an Orthodox Christian discussion forum and mistake us for Roman Catholics?  Seriously now, if you're going to walk in here looking to pick a fight with us, the least you can do is a bit of research to see that we're not Roman Catholics and do not believe as they do.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:45:30 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Carico

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 08:53:45 PM »

I can't answer the question until you tell me who you are. But if you want to leave that vague, then of course, neither I, nor anyone can know who you are. So will you answer my question honestly? if not, then neither can I answer your question. Sorry.  Smiley
You come to an Orthodox Christian discussion forum and mistake us for Roman Catholics?  Seriously now, if you're going to walk in here looking to pick a fight with us, the least you can do is a bit of research to see that we're not Roman Catholics and do not believe as they do.

If you say you aren't Catholics, then I don't know who you are. If you won't tell me who you are then I can't know who you are. So why are you refusing to tell me who you are then blaming me for not knowing who you are?  Shocked  Is it some sort of secret? if so, why?  Huh
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:54:10 PM by Carico » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 08:54:16 PM »

Do Catholics believe that Mary was born sinless?
Why don't you ask the Catholics?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 08:57:54 PM »

This thread is weird... but yes Catholics believe that Mary was concieved without original sin.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Carico

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »

Because I don't play telephone. I'd rather hear it from you yourselves...unless you're ashamed of your beliefs. I thought you could give me an honest answer, but it appears I was wrong. So if this indirect relating is an example of your religion, then I can tell you right now, your religion is not about honesty.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »

This thread is weird...

It surely is. I think the tag is on the money.

We, Orthodox, have discussed this here before. If OP can't do a search and find the threads, his keyboard should be taken away.

At this point...this is pointless.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:02:55 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 09:01:53 PM »

If you say you aren't Catholics, then I don't know who you are.
DARN RIGHT YOU DON'T!!! Grin

If you won't tell me who you are then I can't know who you are. So why are you refusing to tell me who you are then blaming me for not knowing who you are?  Shocked  Is it some sort of secret? if so, why?  Huh
It's no secret. Smiley  If you're too lazy to study your opponent before you debate him, then don't expect your opponent to give you the information even a minimal amount of research can uncover.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 09:03:46 PM »

Because I don't play telephone. I'd rather hear it from you yourselves...unless you're ashamed of your beliefs. I thought you could give me an honest answer, but it appears I was wrong. So if this indirect relating is an example of your religion, then I can tell you right now, your religion is not about honesty.

Brother we can tell you the answer to the question but you could be discusted and leave. But the thing is to truly understand the question you have to understand why we believe it. I can tell you it won't work with your current theological schema and you won't ever want to know anything about us. Go and do some research on the Eastern Orthodox church and you can come back and ask some questions.

Carico

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 09:05:53 PM »

Brother we can tell you the answer to the question but you could be discusted and leave. But the thing is to truly understand the question you have to understand why we believe it. I can tell you it won't work with your current theological schema and you won't ever want to know anything about us. Go and do some research on the Eastern Orthodox church and you can come back and ask some questions.

Then all you have to do is tell me what you believe and why you believe it. I have no problem explaining my beliefs because I'm not ashamed of them. This thread is about your beliefs which you've been dodging since the first response. So are you going to answer the Op or keep on dodging it?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 09:09:20 PM »

Are you trying to find out what Catholics believe or what Eastern Orthodox Christians believe?

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 09:11:37 PM »

Then all you have to do is tell me what you believe and why you believe it. I have no problem explaining my beliefs because I'm not ashamed of them. This thread is about your beliefs which you've been dodging since the first response. So are you going to answer the Op or keep on dodging it?
Since you're acting on what you believe us to be, you can start by answering the question I submitted to you a few posts ago.  Whom do you think we are?  No one here is required to explain anything to you if you won't study us on your own time.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:12:06 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Carico

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 09:11:52 PM »

Are you trying to find out what Catholics believe or what Eastern Orthodox Christians believe?

I'm trying to find out what you people on this forum believe. And so far, it's been harder than trying to pin down an evolutionist. After all, I was asked; "Whom do you think we are?" So who is we? And you guys blame me for not knowing you you are when you yourselves don't seem to be able to explain it!    Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:13:19 PM by Carico » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »

If you wanted to inquire about the beliefs of the people on this board (presumably you're talking about the majority of the members of this board and don't want my opinion on the matter, in particular)...why didn't you ask them that question instead of posing a vague question about Latin Theology/Mariology?

I must question the motives of anyone who asks one question then demands another, unstated one, be answered in its stead.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 09:13:40 PM »

I'm trying to find out what you people on this forum believe.
No you're not.  You're here to argue against what you mistakenly think we believe.  Now go and do your homework.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:14:07 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 09:14:25 PM »

it's been harder than trying to pin down an evolutionist.

Oh, please, try me...but not on this thread...we have several others dedicated to the subject.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Carico

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »

If you wanted to inquire about the beliefs of the people on this board (presumably you're talking about the majority of the members of this board and don't want my opinion on the matter, in particular)...why didn't you ask them that question instead of posing a vague question about Latin Theology/Mariology?

I must question the motives of anyone who asks one question then demands another, unstated one, be answered in its stead.

Again, I was asked "Whom do you think we are?" So I can't answer the question until I first know who We is. So once again, who is WE? And if you won't tell me, then you are not interested in honest conversation but rather badgering, baiting and evasion. Angry
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 09:15:51 PM »

Carico, are you really Gov. Palin? Your answers are as confusing as hers....... Wink

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 09:16:28 PM »

How is this thread about our beliefs when we are not Roman Catholics?  We have some differences of opinion with Roman Catholics on the matter.

Do you want to know what the Orthodox Church believes?

If you are seeking the Roman Catholic answer I suggest you go to a nice Roman Catholic board like Steve Ray's forums.catholic-convert.com

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »

I'm Eastern Orthodox Christian.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 09:17:17 PM »

then you are not interested in honest conversation but rather badgering, baiting and evasion. Angry
If you're going to talk to yourself, you don't have to publish it on the Internet.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:18:40 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 09:17:24 PM »

Again, I was asked "Whom do you think we are?" So I can't answer the question until I first know who We is. So once again, who is WE? And if you won't tell me, then you are not interested in honest conversation but rather badgering, baiting and evasion. Angry

But you wern't asked who we were...you were asked 'whom do you think we are...how are we supposed to know who you think we are?

Carico

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »

How is this thread about our beliefs when we are not Roman Catholics?  We have some differences of opinion with Roman Catholics on the matter.

Do you want to know what the Orthodox Church believes?

If you are seeking the Roman Catholic answer I suggest you go to a nice Roman Catholic board like Steve Ray's forums.catholic-convert.com
I want to know who the WE in the first question posed to me represents. It's that simple.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 09:19:13 PM »

it's been harder than trying to pin down an evolutionist.

Oh, please, try me...but not on this thread...we have several others dedicated to the subject.

Oh goody...going to go make some popcorn...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »

Carico, we refers to the body of seekers and believers that make up OrthodoxChristianity.net. You came to an Eastern Orthodox forum website---hence, the name Orthodoxchristianity.net. No one is evading anything, but some of us find it annoying and careless that you neither looked at the title on the Home Page---thus confusing us with Roman Catholics---and by also not looking up the question in the Search Bar, also located on the Home Page. Smiley It is right for some of us to say to you that you should do some research and observation first before you start posting and especially before you start arguing. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:21:46 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 09:21:07 PM »

I want to know who the WE in the first question posed to me represents. It's that simple.

It has been said many times in this thread:

EASTERN ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN Cheesy

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »

This is an Orthodox Christian discussion forum, as can be seen in the name www.orthodoxchristianity.net.  Who else do you think 99% of the members of this Orthodox Christian forum are?  We're certainly not Buddhists.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 09:23:08 PM »

Does the OP know what Orthodox Chritianity is?

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 09:23:37 PM »

Because I don't play telephone.
That's nice. But what I mean is, why don't you ask your question on a Roman Catholic forum? Why come to an Orthodox Christian forum and ask them what the Catholics believe? Isn't that playing telephone?

I'd rather hear it from you yourselves...unless you're ashamed of your beliefs.
Oh, I'm not ashamed of my beliefs. In fact there is no room for either pride nor shame for us in our lives as Christians. To hold something back from shame is actually pride anyway.

I thought you could give me an honest answer, but it appears I was wrong.
I have no control over how you choose to perceive the world. But lets look at things objectively for a minute. You came here, thinking we were Catholics, we correct you, then you insult our Faith (without even knowing what we believe) like a raving derelict drunkard, and then you wonder why no one takes you seriously. Could it possibly be you that has the problem?

So if this indirect relating is an example of your religion, then I can tell you right now, your religion is not about honesty.
Orthodox Christianity is not a religion. It is the antithesis of it. Orthodoxy is the only cure for the neurosis that is "religion".

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Carico

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2008, 09:26:34 PM »

This is an Orthodox Christian discussion forum, as can be seen in the name www.orthodoxchristianity.net.  Who else do you think 99% of the members of this Orthodox Christian forum are?  We're certainly not Buddhists.

No, and neither are catholics Buddhists. So sorry, just because you're not Buddhists doesn't mean that your beliefs are crystal clear.  Roll Eyes  And considering that the responders in this thread have done everything BUT answer the OP, then your beliefs are anything but crystal clear. So you might try clarifying them instead of being vague about them then criticizing others for not knowing what they are.  Roll Eyes So, are you proud of your beliefs and want others to go to heaven for hearing them? Or are you ashamed of them because you believe they're contradictory? So which is it?  Huh
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:26:48 PM by Carico » Logged
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2008, 09:27:19 PM »

This is an Orthodox Christian discussion forum, as can be seen in the name www.orthodoxchristianity.net.  Who else do you think 99% of the members of this Orthodox Christian forum are?  We're certainly not Buddhists.

That's what I said! Cheesy

prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 09:30:30 PM »

Carico just stop. What you are doing is so rude its like jumping in to someones conversation and abusing them for no particular reason. You have been on this site for 1 hour and you have been put on moderation, do you think that this is a reason to re-think your behaviour? and no it's not because your protestant as we have many protestant posters who don't come here to abuse us but rather learn and us learn from them as brothers and sister in the body of Christ.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2008, 09:31:11 PM »

I'm not Catholic, but it's my understanding that they believe that the Virgin Mary was immaculately conceived, and thus born sinless.

If so, then since God is the only one who is sinless, then the Catholics must think that Mary is God. If so, then since Mary isn't included in the trinity, then the Catholics worship 2 Gods which breaks the first two commandments.

They don't think that Mary is God.

Otherwise, how do you explain your claims?

We don't accept what the Catholics believe on this point.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags: 14 Year old with Keyboard! 10, not 14! Troll 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: