Author Topic: Greek Lessons  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
Greek Lessons
« on: October 24, 2008, 06:47:55 PM »
I have a Protestant friend who lives close to Waco, Texas. He has expressed to me an interest in taking Greek lessons at a Greek Orthodox Church. He wonders if a) such a possibility exists, and b) would he be allowed to study in this fashion at the church as a non-orthodox?

Is there anyone on this board who is familiar with this geographical area and the Greek churches and such educational possiblities?

Thank you SO much!
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • High five! (I'm watching)
  • Faith: Agnosticish
Re: Greek Lessons
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 07:03:16 PM »
Fwiw, according to Orthodoxy In America, there is a Greek Orthodox parish in Waco at the following address:

St. Nicholas Church Greek Orthodox Church
617 North 17th Street  Waco, TX 76707
FrTedWaco@grandecom.net

Perhaps the person could contact the priest and ask? Unfortunately the next closest parish is some distance away (77 miles).
"One part dream, one part sound business decision"

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »
Thanks for that information, Aster!

My apologies for not posting in the correct forum.

Do any of the Greeks here have a greek-language programme at their parishes which is open to parishioners and other interested parties? I had never thought of this before, but it could be a good tool to reach out to the non-orthodox.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 07:43:13 PM by Rosehip »
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:51:49 PM »
I have some greek curriculum from this place and it is quite good.
http://www.greek123.com/

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »
Thanks, Quinault. I think this person is mostly interested in studying NT greek, so he can read the Bible in the original text. I was thinking it would be a wonderful experience for him to spend time at an actual parish and to be able to chat with an actual priest.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:00:31 PM »
That is the curriculum they used at my parish in the past.

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:08:07 PM »
That is the curriculum they used at my parish in the past.

I'm sure it's excellent! Thanks so much!

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:49:54 PM »
Thanks, Quinault. I think this person is mostly interested in studying NT greek, so he can read the Bible in the original text. I was thinking it would be a wonderful experience for him to spend time at an actual parish and to be able to chat with an actual priest.

While many larger GO parishes do have a "Greek school" (I certainly went to one), they teach modern Greek, not Koine.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides