OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 09:55:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Lessons  (Read 2377 times)
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: October 24, 2008, 06:47:55 PM »

I have a Protestant friend who lives close to Waco, Texas. He has expressed to me an interest in taking Greek lessons at a Greek Orthodox Church. He wonders if a) such a possibility exists, and b) would he be allowed to study in this fashion at the church as a non-orthodox?

Is there anyone on this board who is familiar with this geographical area and the Greek churches and such educational possiblities?

Thank you SO much!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 07:03:16 PM »

Fwiw, according to Orthodoxy In America, there is a Greek Orthodox parish in Waco at the following address:

St. Nicholas Church Greek Orthodox Church
617 North 17th Street  Waco, TX 76707
FrTedWaco@grandecom.net

Perhaps the person could contact the priest and ask? Unfortunately the next closest parish is some distance away (77 miles).

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »

Thanks for that information, Aster!

My apologies for not posting in the correct forum.

Do any of the Greeks here have a greek-language programme at their parishes which is open to parishioners and other interested parties? I had never thought of this before, but it could be a good tool to reach out to the non-orthodox.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 07:43:13 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:51:49 PM »

I have some greek curriculum from this place and it is quite good.
http://www.greek123.com/
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »

Thanks, Quinault. I think this person is mostly interested in studying NT greek, so he can read the Bible in the original text. I was thinking it would be a wonderful experience for him to spend time at an actual parish and to be able to chat with an actual priest.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:00:31 PM »

That is the curriculum they used at my parish in the past.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:08:07 PM »

That is the curriculum they used at my parish in the past.

I'm sure it's excellent! Thanks so much!

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:49:54 PM »

Thanks, Quinault. I think this person is mostly interested in studying NT greek, so he can read the Bible in the original text. I was thinking it would be a wonderful experience for him to spend time at an actual parish and to be able to chat with an actual priest.

While many larger GO parishes do have a "Greek school" (I certainly went to one), they teach modern Greek, not Koine.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: