Author Topic: A bizarre question  (Read 1278 times)

Offline antiderivative

• Elder
A bizarre question
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:04:50 PM »
Has anyone heard of the Mormon undergarments? Where they must never take them off, even when taking a shower. When taking a shower they hold them in their hand. If you haven't heard of this, go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_garment

Someone told me that Orthodox priests do this too, and treat them the exact same way as mentioned above. Is that true?
signature

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
Re: A bizarre question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:12:40 PM »

Someone told me that Orthodox priests do this too, and treat them the exact same way as mentioned above. Is that true?

They do?? :o
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 05:15:15 PM »
Why would they do that? ???
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline antiderivative

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 05:20:59 PM »
I don't know, I'm asking you guys. Someone told me this, but I can't find any evidence of it on the internet.
signature

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »

It is not true. We do not wear 'mystical underwear'; it would be too difficult to put on over the tin foil kalamavki which never leaves my head... ;)

Who told you this bizarre story?
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »
It is not true. We do not wear 'mystical underwear'; it would be too difficult to put on over the tin foil kalamavki which never leaves my head... ;)
LOL! :laugh: Post of the Month nominee!
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline antiderivative

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 05:29:08 PM »
Thank you, I'm quite relieved.

Who told you this bizarre story?

Believe it or not, my physics teacher. We get on weird tangents in that class.
signature

Offline Andrea

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »
Has anyone heard of the Mormon undergarments? Where they must never take them off, even when taking a shower. When taking a shower they hold them in their hand. If you haven't heard of this, go here:

I think you find the notion of showering with them only among the older generations of Mormons. Or the most, most devoted. When my husband wore his, he never showered with them in his hand.  Now, my Mormon MIL just might.  ::)

In all the reading I've done on Orthodoxy I've never ever seen a claim like that!  :laugh: Then again, I wasn't told about the temple garments either before I converted to Mormonism (many moons ago)...what a shocker that was!!!  :laugh:

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:27:04 PM »

Why would an Orthodox priest be anywhere near Mormon underwear?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 08:24:50 PM »
LOL! :laugh: Post of the Month nominee!

I second the nomination! My kids thought I was chocking on something because I laughed so loud.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »
Tangent warning-

How do mormon women breastfeed if they were the garment beneath their bra? That would be a milky mess!

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 09:05:26 PM »
^Ugh, that was the worst feeling, too.  By the way, Tobias F√ľnke approves of this post.   ;D
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams