OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:39:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which O/S do you use/think is better?
Windows - 6 (28.6%)
Linux - 4 (19%)
Mac OS X - 7 (33.3%)
Other - 4 (19%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operating Systems  (Read 5591 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: October 23, 2008, 09:51:06 AM »

I am thinking of changing my operating system from Windows to possibly Linux or something else. Just curious what people think and whether I should stay with Windows or go to linux.
Here are some questions:

1)How much computer knowledge will I need to run it?
2) Is there some sort of free Windows Office equivalent for Linux or is Windows office still compatible?
3) What version of Linux would people recomend?
4) Is there a lot of conflict with programs such as games, video playing programs?

Thanks in advance guys and guyettes Cheesy

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »

I am thinking of changing my operating system from Windows to possibly Linux or something else. Just curious what people think and whether I should stay with Windows or go to linux.
Here are some questions:

A little more than needed with Windows because of the different terminology.

2) Is there some sort of free Windows Office equivalent for Linux or is Windows office still compatible?

Openoffice

Ubuntu is a user-friendly LINUX distribution and you may need to learn UNIX command scripting to do more complicated things.  Distributions like Ubuntu basically install themselves and one is up and running within minutes.

4) Is there a lot of conflict with programs such as games, video playing programs?

AFAIK, not many games have been ported to LINUX due to graphics drivers not implementing all Windows features (e.g. DirectX 10) in LINUX due to reverse engineering restrictions.  There are Windows emulators (Wine is one example and may be included with Ubuntu) except they require a lot of resources (e.g. memory) to work effectively.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:41:01 PM »

Ubuntu is a user-friendly LINUX distribution and you may need to learn UNIX command scripting to do more complicated things.  Distributions like Ubuntu basically install themselves and one is up and running within minutes.
I just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 onto a free partition that I had reserved for this purpose months in advance.  I haven't had much chance to really explore what I can do with it from the pov of a programmer/application developer, but I like what I see so far.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:47:21 PM »

As SolEX01 said you can emulate windows on linux but you can also do a dual-boot to try and run both (not at the same time though). Why not download a free ubuntu install and you can run it as a live cd--to see if you like it first.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »

Thanks Father A. - I forgot about Ubuntu's LiveCD capability where the entire LINUX system boots from CD/DVD without touching a thing on the host machine....
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 11:08:48 PM »

Thanks everyone, just a couple of things to keep in mind:

I own a laptop with these specs:
# Intel Core Duo T2250 1.73Ghz
# 512Mb DDR2
# 60Gb SATA HDD
# 14.1” XGA widescreen LCD Screen 1280x800

And it is a "hand-me-down" from my brother and the DVD drive is not working.

I use it mainly for homework (which consists of reading PDF's and word processing), watching videos and playing games (not being interested in new flashy games which don't really tickle my fancy I play small innovative flash games or nes and snes emulators Cheesy)

Will programs like media player classic, Itunes, and Flash work on Ubuntu?

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 12:08:23 AM »

Thanks everyone, just a couple of things to keep in mind:

I own a laptop with these specs:
# Intel Core Duo T2250 1.73Ghz
# 512Mb DDR2
# 60Gb SATA HDD
# 14.1” XGA widescreen LCD Screen 1280x800

And it is a "hand-me-down" from my brother and the DVD drive is not working.

Is replacing the DVD drive feasible?
If not, you can visit this website which downloads an Ubuntu installer for use under Windows.

I use it mainly for homework (which consists of reading PDF's and word processing), watching videos and playing games (not being interested in new flashy games which don't really tickle my fancy I play small innovative flash games or nes and snes emulators Cheesy)

Some of those emulators will also work under LINUX.

Will programs like media player classic, Itunes, and Flash work on Ubuntu?

With 512MB of RAM, that may not be enough memory for multimedia players.  Flash would be supported while Itunes and Media Player are not supported under LINUX.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:20:43 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 12:57:05 AM »

With 512MB of RAM, that may not be enough memory for multimedia players.  Flash would be supported while Itunes and Media Player are not supported under LINUX.

I just remember my brother had uprgraded the RAM and I actually have 1 Gb.

Does anyone think it is worth changing? are there any Ipod users that use LINUX?

Also does Ubuntu use less memory? RAM and hard drive?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:05:06 AM by prodromas » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 01:06:37 AM »

While I don't use LINUX, the article refers to using iPods with Ubuntu LINUX.  From LINUXJournal.  Note that the article is over 2 years old.

In general, LINUX based systems tend to use less memory and disk than their Windows counterparts.  Ubuntu needs about 5 GB for a typical install which gets you essentially the same things found on Windows.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:09:05 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 01:17:28 AM »

FWIW, I've partitioned 40 GB of storage on my hard drive for each Windows OS (and use more than half of each 40GB partition) but only 8 GB for my Ubuntu Linux OS, anticipating that I won't need anywhere near as much space to run it.  I run a triple boot system with Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows Vista Home Premium, and Ubuntu.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 01:18:57 AM »

^ Which OS do you use the most?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:09:44 AM »

The poll really is two different questions: 1. Which do you use? and 2. Which is better? I use Windows mainly because it's ubiquitous, and software development is very strongly supported. Not to mention that there are various versions of each of those categories which may rank better or worse. Windows XP was nearly perfect (once it had SP2), but I think Vista ranks among the worst OSes ever made.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:10:47 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 02:55:25 PM »

I'm partial to Windows 2000 being the best Microsoft OS ever.

Windows XP has been pretty stable and I'm using SP3 without issues.

I was gung ho about Vista except I have nothing that can run it.  I'm waiting for Windows 7 and Microsoft's $300 Million ad campaign to counter the Apple commercials about Microsoft.   Roll Eyes
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 03:36:03 PM »

While I don't use LINUX, the article refers to using iPods with Ubuntu LINUX.  From LINUXJournal.  Note that the article is over 2 years old.

In general, LINUX based systems tend to use less memory and disk than their Windows counterparts.  Ubuntu needs about 5 GB for a typical install which gets you essentially the same things found on Windows.

Thanks, SolEX01, for that Ubuntu installer. I just booted into it over on my XP box for first time. Feels funny not editing an fstab file, etc...Looks pretty at any rate.

Edit: Well, I'll be...this is great.
It's our 21st wedding anniversary today. Hope I can pull myself away from this computer now.  laugh
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:40:42 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »

It's our 21st wedding anniversary today. Hope I can pull myself away from this computer now.  laugh
Well, if you don't, your wife will.  (Wink, wink.  Nudge, nudge.  KnowwhatImean? Wink)  Happy anniversary to you and your wife, and may God grant you both many years. Grin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »

It's our 21st wedding anniversary today. Hope I can pull myself away from this computer now.

Congrats! Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »

^ Which OS do you use the most?
Right now I use Windows XP for most of my at-home computer work, since XP is what I know best and have the most thoroughly set up for what I do at home.  I haven't used Ubuntu much, for I'm just getting used to what I can do with it.  Vista I hardly ever use--I won't go so far as Mr. Y has in calling it one of the worst OSes he's ever seen, but it certainly isn't what I would call a viable operating system yet.
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 05:47:55 PM »

On some distro's like Ubuntu certainly not more than for Windows. But, pay the attention and read install instructions first, particularly network configuration instructions, since you might get yourself locked without network support.

I recommend dual boot - both Windows ans Linux.

Yes, OpenOffice, works perfectly, There is a version of it for Windows, too.

For comfortable use without learning, Ubuntu. Everything available at click. xDSL or Cable preferred for updates, dial-up depletes the experience, but still. If you want to learn from scratch, try Slackware, or some BSD (which isn't Linux than Unix).

There is a bunch of games under linux, you'd just need to install them. Ubuntu is again the choice, and to mix repositories (sources) with Medibuntu. Note - DirectX doesn't work under LInux, not even under emulators (Wine an Vbox), so those games run exclusively on Windows. There is flash, but it gets spoiled if you register more than one user, so don't do it.
Just resize down you Windows partition (backup data first and get them out of HDD), plug install media and at the ending of partitioning (if you always click advanced options) you'll have a chance to opt for placement of GRUB bootloader. If you want to place it at FDD, write (fd0) and that's it. In that case once floppy is out of the FDD during boot you boot Windows directly, while there is always the option for dual boot.

DVD device gets spoiled in case he is just plugged subsequently into a computer with already installed OS. There is a chance it would work in case of fresh install of the same or new OS. Check the jumpers and read the manual.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 06:13:38 PM »

Many Years to you and your wife.   Smiley
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 06:15:21 PM »

DVD device gets spoiled in case he is just plugged subsequently into a computer with already installed OS. There is a chance it would work in case of fresh install of the same or new OS. Check the jumpers and read the manual.

The OP has a laptop where the DVD drive isn't subject to jumpers.  He could have a BIOS issue where the laptop doesn't see the DVD drive (especially on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads where I've seen this problem) or a defective DVD drive.
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »

He could have a BIOS issue where the laptop doesn't see the DVD drive (especially on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads where I've seen this problem) or a defective DVD drive.

In which case he could see if it's a hardware issue on Lenovo site - IBM's products do have excellent documentation and resources, one just needs reading. Lenovo's site on ThinkPad's is active.

Anyway, instead of repeating your advice, I should have recommended the following partitioning of HDD

26 GB NTFS (C: Windows) - should be plenty of space for much of I can imagine
20 GB NTFS (D Windows) - home
12 GB ext3 - Ubuntu; in case of advance partitioning scheme, take / 900 Mb, ("/" is root partition) /var 2GB /usr 8Gb and /tmp 80 Mb /home the rest
1 GB Swap
1 GB - usually "swallowed" somewhere

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »

1 GB Swap
The general rule I've seen here is to allot twice the amount of your installed RAM to your Linux Swap partition.  512 MB of installed RAM would thus require a Swap partition of 1 GB.  Of course, if you have 2 GB of RAM, a 4-GB Swap partition may be a bit much--2 GB might be sufficiently large here.
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »

(especially on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads where I've seen this problem) or a defective DVD drive.

I forgot:

Some laptops do have a special system partition at the begining, which could be spoiled by Linux fdisk installer. Pay the attention to it, don't touch it. In the above scheme, both C and D (NTFS) lay on primary partitions, while Linux is on yet another primary, and Swap on the fourth, so you would be able to save data from linux on D.

orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »

1 GB Swap
The general rule I've seen here is to allot twice the amount of your installed RAM to your Linux Swap partition.  512 MB of installed RAM would thus require a Swap partition of 1 GB.  Of course, if you have 2 GB of RAM, a 4-GB Swap partition may be a bit much--2 GB might be sufficiently large here.

The last time I checked there was no possibility for more than 2Gb of SWAP, no matter how much RAM one has.

SWAP = 2 x RAM is a myth. Live boot (such as CD session) doesn't use SWAP at all, but still runs.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »

The last time I checked there was no possibility for more than 2Gb of SWAP, no matter how much RAM one has.
AFAIC, one shouldn't ever need to allot more than 2 GB to a Swap partition.

SWAP = 2 x RAM is a myth. Live boot (such as CD session) doesn't use SWAP at all, but still runs.
A myth?  Maybe, but this is still the recommendation I see in many Linux installation "how-to" manuals and even on the official Ubuntu documentation pages.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 07:21:53 PM »

A UNIX Sys Admin friend and I used to define /tmp as Swap which made for some pretty large swap files (a few GB) especially on Solaris and other systems.  Since /tmp is a partition, one can make /tmp as big as one wishes.
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 06:39:19 PM »

I recommend *BSD UNIX!!!

I use NetBSD for my OS -- although FreeBSD and OpenBSD are good choices, too. I also use Slackware for certain things -- and I have to deal with Windows in my job as as System Administrator.

If you good with a Linux distro such as Ubuntu -- you don't need to know anymore than a Windows user. But, you can potentially do more than a Windows user in the realm of system management -- if you so choose. Distros such as Ubuntu aim to make Linux as "user friendly" as possible.

Linux distros such as Slackware, require a moderate amount of computer savvy -- and I wouldn't recommend those distros to a green Windows user. After you explore Ubuntu (or similar distro) for a while, and that means actually reading manpages and some light tweaking on the command line, you should be able to handle a distro such as Slackware.

*BSD, while it is in my opinion the best OS currently available in so many ways, is not for the faint of heart. For example, I have NetBSD on my laptop -- I rarely run X. I do most of my work on the command line. It fits me like a glove -- but, I have manually configured it so.

I should also mention that I am a System Administrator and a Computer Science major -- I know what I'm doing. My OS -- NetBSD -- may not be suitable for you right now. If you want to explore *BSD, I would probably recommend PC-BSD (which I put in the same difficulty category as Slackware).

There are several. There is OpenOffice, which is based off of StarOffice; there is KOffice, part of KDE; there is Gnome Office, part of the Gnome project; and an plethora of individual components that you can combine into your own personal office suite.

To get you started...Ubuntu. The best Linux, in my opinion, is Slackware -- but, you need some experience with Linux before I would think that that would be a viable option.

Depends on the games. Linux can run natively a growing list of games. A good portion of Windows games can be played through an emulator such as WINE. Most video card's 3D is supported in Linux now. And, most multimedia formats are able to be played in Linux using the proper software and codecs.

As a parting note, you won't know until you give it a try. A good number of distros can be run as a LiveCD, which means that they aren't installed on the hard drive, they run entirely from the CD/DVD. You can test them and see if you like it -- note that you can't save any settings from one session to the next (easily that is) and you can't save any files without an external device such as a USB drive.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 06:41:24 PM »

Thanks Father A. - I forgot about Ubuntu's LiveCD capability where the entire LINUX system boots from CD/DVD without touching a thing on the host machine....

I use the Ubuntu LiveCD as a diagnostic tool at work. If there isn't a hardware issue (and a lot of times if there is), I can boot up and troubleshoot the problem and possibly backup data and such.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 06:45:38 PM »

No OS needs swap memory to run. Without going into the nitty-gritty details of virtual memory, it is used as a performance enhancement -- not as an absolute necessity.

When installing most Linux distros, you can set the size of all the partitions, including swap, to any size -- respecting the space limits of your hard drive (i.e., can't have a 80GB partition on a 40GB hard drive Tongue).

The partition structure one chooses is a fascinating topic and one that can have great impact on system performance and maintainability.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 06:58:33 PM »

No OS needs swap memory to run. Without going into the nitty-gritty details of virtual memory, it is used as a performance enhancement -- not as an absolute necessity.

That was exactly what I was trying to say.

When installing most Linux distros, you can set the size of all the partitions, including swap, to any size -- respecting the space limits of your hard drive (i.e., can't have a 80GB partition on a 40GB hard drive Tongue).

Alas! Grin Grin Grin

BTW, welcome here, JMJ! Glad to see you!

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 07:06:18 PM »

BTW, welcome here, JMJ! Glad to see you!

Thanks -- I've been oh so busy trying to get my degree.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 07:06:24 PM »

I recommend *BSD UNIX!!!

I use NetBSD for my OS -- although FreeBSD and OpenBSD are good choices, too. I also use Slackware for certain things -- and I have to deal with Windows in my job as as System Administrator.

You are my man.

I discovered OpenBSD several months ago and was able to resolve and clarify to myself a number of issues I was unable for years on Linux, because documentation is awesome. Every thing is explained only once, with necessary background but not excessive as FreeBSD, and it is expected you actually use your brain.

Besides, my firewall run of ancient Compaq, 1,5 Gb HDD, 48Mb RAM (and it actually uses 32 of it!), nameservers on P3 with 198 MbRam, and it usually takes as much as firewall. It does require time to set a desktop, but with Xfce4 on a P4 1,25 Gb RAM it effectively occupies 120 - 400 Mb RAM (that's the output of top command) when I run about everything I can imagine at the same time.

Puffy rulez!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:07:03 PM by orthodoxlurker » Logged

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 07:09:44 PM »

You are my man.

I discovered OpenBSD several months ago and was able to resolve and clarify to myself a number of issues I was unable for years on Linux, because documentation is awesome. Every thing is explained only once, with necessary background but not excessive as FreeBSD, and it is expected you actually use your brain.

Besides, my firewall run of ancient Compaq, 1,5 Gb HDD, 48Mb RAM (and it actually uses 32 of it!), nameservers on P3 with 198 MbRam, and it usually takes as much as firewall. It does require time to set a desktop, but with Xfce4 on a P4 1,25 Gb RAM it effectively occupies 120 - 400 Mb RAM (that's the output of top command) when I run about everything I can imagine at the same time.

Puffy rulez!

I downloaded the current OpenBSD the other day -- I'm going to play around with it over the break. One nice thing is that they now provide an ISO -- several years ago, you were expected to create your own installation setup (or pay them for the CD).  Shocked

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
orthodoxlurker
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 07:29:52 PM »

You are my man.

Puffy rulez!

I downloaded the current OpenBSD the other day -- I'm going to play around with it over the break. One nice thing is that they now provide an ISO -- several years ago, you were expected to create your own installation setup (or pay them for the CD).  Shocked

I'm still not on current, but on release & stable. It's easier. Good luck to you.

At the moment I'm wrestling with PDC & mail server, hopefully will have some results during this weekend.

To anyone using PC and wanting to save time I recommend to invest in an ancient PC (without monitor or mouse, while keyboard might be needed if BIOS can't be set to boot without it), it should be really cheap to buy second-hand P1 or P2, or P3 with 256 MB (that would be a powerfull machine), and to dedicate several hours per week for, say, three months, to study BSD. After that, one would really know anything one needs for using PC.

That's actually less time than one would spend in wrestling through Windoze over the years of regular use. Besides, if you are a high-schooler, you'd make a great improvement of your overall comprehension of learning process - people that actually know and can do a job are not so often to see - and perhaps gain some interest in programming or maths that wasn't attractive to you in the first place.

Ubuntu is fine desktop, but they hold to Windows logic - click a mouse and keep yourself in dark. During the upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, thanks to experience with OpenBSD, I was able to realize that NetworkManager does some things I don't won't him, so I purged it. Also I realized what ffmpeg is doing and why they place it in Medibuntu repositories that are unsigned - spyware isn't Micro$oft proprietary Grin

Athanasios
OC.net guru

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 07:49:05 PM »

I'm still not on current, but on release & stable. It's easier. Good luck to you.
I meant the current stable release.

I do however, have to use NetBSD-current (actually 5.0 beta), because my new laptop (Lenovo T61) has some state-of-the-art hardware that is not in the stable branch (i.e., wireless, function keys, sound, etc.). Once 5.0 is released as stable, I should be able to stay in the stable branch (aside from coding and testing -current for developmental purposes).

To anyone using PC and wanting to save time I recommend to invest in an ancient PC (without monitor or mouse, while keyboard might be needed if BIOS can't be set to boot without it), it should be really cheap to buy second-hand P1 or P2, or P3 with 256 MB (that would be a powerfull machine), and to dedicate several hours per week for, say, three months, to study BSD. After that, one would really know anything one needs for using PC.
An excellent suggestion.

You can get it on some really ancient hardware. The best I've done is have a full NetBSD installation on a 50MHz 486 with 64MB RAM and a 1GB hard drive (though that hard drive was a tight fit with pkgsrc).

And you'd be surprised at the economy - if you know where to look, you can literally get these old machines for free.

Ubuntu is fine desktop, but they hold to Windows logic - click a mouse and keep yourself in dark.
Which is one reason I prefer Unix over Windows. I'm of the mentality -- if I told you to do something, it's because I actually want you to do it, and if I wanted you to do something, I would have told you to do it.

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2008, 02:28:48 AM »

Ubuntu is fine desktop, but they hold to Windows logic - click a mouse and keep yourself in dark. During the upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, thanks to experience with OpenBSD, I was able to realize that NetworkManager does some things I don't won't him, so I purged it. Also I realized what ffmpeg is doing and why they place it in Medibuntu repositories that are unsigned - spyware isn't Micro$oft proprietary Grin

I can agree with this assessment. I'm still playing with the wubi-installer version running ubuntu in a ntfs volume. It works. But I am missing getting at the real OS to tweak it, or even correct it. Seems a Windows clone more than Debian actually with way too many wizards.
Example: Running 8.04.1, I checked out the screensavers (which I don't use so I deserve the agony that followed). My computer is at the low end of the specs to run the OS to start with and the preview of the "Constructing molecules" screensaver locked the machine. (Don't know if this is a bug or my box.)  Mouse worked, sort of, but that was about it. I could not even switch to another desktop to call up a term and kill the errant process. HARD reboot (ugh).
After reboot I went back to make sure the screensaver was set to 'none'. Mistake...the bad molecules were still set and immediately locked the machine, again. Another power-off reboot. THEN I go looking around the filesystem trying to find a config file (to avoid the wizard) to edit to reset the dumb screensaver. Phone rings, I answer. 15 minutes later I return to computer to find dumb screensaver has fired off...and locked the machine, again. REBOOT into XP-Pro, uninstall ubuntu (at least this Linux-lite version makes that easy).

So...I go to reinstall ubuntu (after too much time personalizing my box before) and see 8.10 is out. I try it. Won't run on my box. REBOOT, uninstall. Go find 8.04.1, another download of 698MB. This time there were 194 updates after initial boot up (Is this a MS product?).
Avoiding the screensavers like I avoid my ex-wife I then go to set up my Polytonic Greek keyboard - only to find that it only partially runs in 8.04.1. Ubuntu forums suggest I upgrade to 8.10 -yeah, I'm going to do that, or wait to 1/01/09 when 8.04.2 is released with all bug patches contained in 8.10. No idea if THAT will run.
At the least I have gotten permission from Mrs. Aristokles to reclaim my former office in the cellar ("If you clean it, it is yours") and there I will again set up my Slackware box  Undecided

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: