OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:33:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Typical Psalms and Troparia of the Beatitudes  (Read 2225 times) Average Rating: 0
filipinopilgrim

« on: October 23, 2008, 12:49:19 AM »

Dear All:

For the past several months, I have been asking a series of questions on some liturgical topics in several Internet fora (Ustav, Typikon, ByzCath, Monachos, etc.). I hope that this forum will allow me to ask the same questions. I really appreciate the various responses I get in each forum and I hope that this forum will result in a little harvest of new info for me.

Ok, first question in my list:

In your experience, are the FULL Typical Psalms and the Troparia that are supposed to be intercalated between the verses of the Beatitudes, still read or chanted in the Divine Liturgy?

Are there Greek cathedrals and parishes where these are still chanted? (Some have told me yes, but elsewhere I've read that these are used in Greek jurisdictions only by monasteries.) I do note that the Divine Music Project of the St. Anthony's Monastery refers to the Beatitudes and its Troparia.

As for Russian and Serbian practice, I also get conflicting reports (some say that these are chanted only in a few churches and monasteries, others tell me that these are making a "comeback"). I hope someone here could tell me more.

For Greek Cathedrals and Parishes that use the Antiphons at all times, are there those that chant all the verses of the antiphons, and not just one or two?

Thanks!

Pilgrim

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 12:50:40 AM by filipinopilgrim » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 02:52:35 AM »

My parish does the toparia between Beatitudes verses on Sunday Divine Liturgy.  I think it is from the Typicon.  We are OCA and one of few parishes to do them. 
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 07:20:48 AM »

In my experience traveling throughout Greek parishes in the US there are no Greek parishes who do the Typika and Beatitudes (with the Troparia) in the US.  We've done them at Seminary a few times, and they do them at the monasteries, but not in the parishes, who generally use the Antiphons.  Many parishes use the verses that complement the Antiphons, but most of those parishes only do 3 verses, not the full 4-5 (depending on whether it is a feast day or not).  Some parishes sing the antiphons without verses.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:40:52 AM »

Greek parishes in Europe are the same. The Beatitudes with verses are only sung in monasteries.
filipinopilgrim

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »

My parish does the toparia between Beatitudes verses on Sunday Divine Liturgy.  I think it is from the Typicon.  We are OCA and one of few parishes to do them. 

What is your parish?

I understand that the now-retired Bishop Tikhon ordered the parishes in OCADOW to restore the Beatitude verses. 
Tags: Divine Liturgy Typikon Beatitudes 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: