OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:44:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psalms or prayers to combat pride?  (Read 2812 times) Average Rating: 0
NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: October 22, 2008, 12:54:12 PM »

I ran searches but could only come up with one small thread on what exactly I'm looking for, so I figured I'd post my question. Smiley

What prayers, Psalms, or other Scripture verses have you considered to be helpful in fighting against pride in the heart? Not necessarily the kind that says "oh I'm so much better than these people", but the kind that's a little more subtle. Like when you at first might think you're doing something for one reason, but then realize you're doing it only for you.

I know all Scripture is good for fighting pride and seeking humility, and I know there are many good books.  But I'm thinking more along the lines of something that could be easily committed to memory, or at least easily referenced, in the way Psalm 50 can be found quickly (or recited if you've memorized it) after you just realized you sinned in some way.  But I'm thinking of something more preventative than just repentant. One verse is from Jeremiah 17:9  that reminds me to not also trust my self, The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it? Whether or not that's the intended meaning of the verse I do not know, but it helps me anyways.

That's the sort of verses, or prayers from prayer books, or Psalms I'm thinking of and looking for. Any ideas? Something that can be internalized and help me to realize my failings I guess.

Hopefully this makes sense what I'm thinking about. Wink

Thanks in advance....
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:37:11 PM »

The Jesus Prayer ...

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on me, a sinner.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:10:19 PM »

For Psalms, the one that comes right off the top of my head:  Psalm 50 (51) that is read for Matins every morning and Compline every night.  "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your loving kindness..."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:10:31 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:52:10 PM »

Remember these words: "Gam Ze Ya'avor".

Here is their story:

One day Solomon decided to humble Benaiah ben Yehoyada, his most trusted minister. He said to him, "Benaiah, there is a certain ring that I want you to bring to me. I wish to wear it for Sukkot which gives you six months to find it."

"If it exists anywhere on earth, your majesty," replied Benaiah, "I will find it and bring it to you, but what makes the ring so special?"

"It has magic powers," answered the king. "If a happy man looks at it, he becomes sad, and if a sad man looks at it, he becomes happy." Solomon knew that no such ring existed in the world, but he wished to give his minister a little taste of humility.

Spring passed and then summer, and still Benaiah had no idea where he could find the ring. On the night before Sukkot, he decided to take a walk in one of he poorest quarters of Jerusalem. He passed by a merchant who had begun to set out the day's wares on a shabby carpet. "Have you by any chance heard of a magic ring that makes the happy wearer forget his joy and the broken-hearted wearer forget his sorrows?" asked Benaiah.

He watched the grandfather take a plain gold ring from his carpet and engrave something on it. When Benaiah read the words on the ring, his face broke out in a wide smile.

That night the entire city welcomed in the holiday of Sukkot with great festivity. "Well, my friend," said Solomon, "have you found what I sent you after?" All the ministers laughed and Solomon himself smiled.

To everyone's surprise, Benaiah held up a small gold ring and declared, "Here it is, your majesty!" As soon as Solomon read the inscription, the smile vanished from his face. The jeweller had written three Hebrew words on the gold band:  "Gam zeh ya'avor" -- "This too shall pass."

At that moment Solomon realized that all his wisdom and fabulous wealth and tremendous power were but fleeting things, for one day he would be nothing but dust.  Thus the smile left his face.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:56:50 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:57:03 PM »

That is a great story George! Where did you hear/read it?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:58:15 PM by Quinault » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »

That is a great story George! Where did you hear/read it?

A Jewish friend gave it to me- with a ring inscribed with the words "Gam ze ya'avor".

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »

Ozgeorge, that was an amazing story. Thank you for posting it, I'm going to print it out in fact. Smiley

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »

Thank you, George. That's quite a story.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 05:34:39 PM »

In my Ukrainian Orthodox prayer book, there is a wonderful prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian, which we are told to say every morning and evining on the days of fasting (especially during the Great Lent).

I remember it by heart in Ukrainian, so I'll quote it in this language and then translate (please forgive me if the translation is not very good and if it's different then the version in the prayer book, because I don't have it with me right now).

Господи, владико життя мого! Духа лінивства, бeзнадійності, владолюбства і марнослів"я нe дай мeні. (Зeмний уклін)

Духа ж доброчинності і смирeнномудрості, тeрпіння і любові даруй мeні, рабу Твоєму. (Зeмний уклін)

Так, Господи Царю, даруй мeні бачити провини мої і нe засуджувати брата мого, бо Ти благословeн єси на віки вічні, амінь. (Зeмний уклін)

Lord, the Master of my life! Do not give me the spirit of laziness, desperation, lust for power, and verbosity. (Prostration)

Rather, give me, Your servant, the spirit of prudence and humility, patience and love. (Prostration)

Yes, Lord and King, grant me the ability to see my own trasngressions and not to judge my brother, because You are blessed for the ages of ages, amen. (Prostration)

During the Great Lent, the prayer book also tells to add to this prayer 12 small bows, each supplemented by words, "Lord, cleanse me, a sinner."

Love never fails.
Andrea

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »

I know it's a Catholic prayer...but I just love it. I hope it's OK that I post it...

Litany of Humility
O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled ...
From the desire of being honored ...
From the desire of being praised ...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted ...
From the desire of being approved ...
From the fear of being humiliated ...
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...
From the fear of being calumniated ...
From the fear of being forgotten ...
From the fear of being ridiculed ...
From the fear of being wronged ...
From the fear of being suspected ...

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I ...
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease ...
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »

^Thank you, Andrea. Very beautiful and so right.

Love never fails.
NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 12:12:34 PM »

Thank Andrea (and to all). That looks like exactly what I was searching for. I already knew about the prayer of St. Ephraim, and the Jesus prayer of course, but wanted to broaden my choices for different circumstances. Thank you to everyone.
Andrea

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »

You're welcome!  Smiley
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 10:55:20 PM »

**bump**.... 'cause I need some help in this area. Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags: pride Scripture Psalms Prayers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: