OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:32:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fr. Seraphim Rose?  (Read 2952 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« on: October 20, 2008, 09:55:07 AM »

I was just wondering about Fr. Seraphim Rose and his relationship to the Catholic Church. How did he view Catholics? Did he ever have a relationship with Cathoic clergy or laymen? Also, are there plans to cannoize him soon? I think he would be a great patron for those who struggle with SSA.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:56:24 AM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Heracleides
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Jerusalem

Kona-Kai

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:25:30 PM »

I was just wondering about Fr. Seraphim Rose and his relationship to the Catholic Church. How did he view Catholics? Did he ever have a relationship with Cathoic clergy or laymen? Also, are there plans to cannoize him soon? I think he would be a great patron for those who struggle with SSA.

What did his struggles with the Social Security Administration (SSA) entail?   Wink

"And having found Heracleides there again, we instructed him to proclaim the Gospel of God..."  ~Acts of Barnabas
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »

What did his struggles with the Social Security Administration (SSA) entail?   Wink
LOL. I meant Same Sex Attraction.

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »

From what I understand , he would be a great saint, upon glorification, to use to intercede for one  who has SSA as that was a cross that he bore in his successful struggles against the flesh, until then, there is nothing in Orthodox practice that keeps one from privately asking for his prayers to help one conquer this "thorn in the flesh".

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 12:01:38 AM »

From what I have read he was a very Holy Man and should IMO be canonized. But I don't think that the Catholic Church has a very high opinion of him. That may be the wrong wording. I should say that I don't think the RC has ANY opinion of him. As a side note his writings on life after death go against the RC purgatory beliefs so RC's probabably won't recognize him. I hope they do though.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 12:28:53 AM »

Now THIS is an odd topic...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 12:38:46 AM »

He's a Toll House guy, right? (I don't mean the chocolate chips).

He certainly would be a good patron for those struggling with homosexuality. I can't think of any other saint who we KNOW struggled with it (though I'm sure there have been quite a few).
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 01:16:26 AM »

His relationship to the Catholic Church was that he was happy to receive converts from it, like Alexei Young.  Smiley

He wrote a letter to Trappist monk Thomas Merton you might be interested to read: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/merton.aspx

As for canonization- there are those who already consider him a saint and privately venerate him as such. There are also several icons of him- none of which depict him with a halo, I don't believe. The monks at his former monastery have no formal agenda to canonize him, leaving this process in God's hands. I think they may be underestimating the role of human agency in these things. Smiley

And as a reply to the last post- yes, he accepted the Toll Houses. I think though that he is often accused of promoting a literalism in this regard he never meant to promote.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 01:29:23 PM »

There are also several icons of him- none of which depict him with a halo, I don't believe.

Actually, I have seen a few with a halo.

Here are some here:
http://users.sisqtel.net/williams/pics-icons.html
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 02:25:41 PM »

I don't think that Fr. Seraphim Rose's belief in tollhouses would be a problem for Catholics. I think we can view it as another expression of the idea of Purgatory.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:26:07 PM by Papist » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 02:51:01 PM »

There are also several icons of him- none of which depict him with a halo, I don't believe.

I have one at home that depicts him with a halo that was given to me by a Romanian couple. I don't quite know what to do with it since he's yet to be canonized.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:52:25 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Tags: homosexuality saints Fr. Seraphim Rose 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: