OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:48:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Fathers  (Read 1196 times) Average Rating: 0
sedan

Faith: on the road..orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian USA

« on: October 19, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »

Hello all, another quick question, I was rerading an article by Fr. Seraphim Rose about studying the Holy Fathers. I am very much agreement of this, but know only the Philokalia, as the Holy Fathers, is there other works besides these to study?
Thank you.
Blessings.
Sedan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 06:38:07 PM »

Sure, there are lots of Church Fathers to read, and quite a bit has been translated into English. Two sites that might be helpful are:

Christian Classics Ethereal Library
St. Pachomius Library

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
sedan

Faith: on the road..orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian USA

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »

That certainly is a huge amount to read, let alone study, an entire lifetime from the age of 6 to 106 would take to study, the blessings from God are so inscrutible that eternity will be taken to undertand one. Thank you for the links, I shall pursue with reish and attempt to glean as much as I can.
I remain in your debt, the unworthy Sedan.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:50:08 AM »

It has been said that "life is a journey". Education is fuel for the journey. We are on the journey to Theosis--- we study the scriptures, have the comfort of the Holy Spirit, and the writings of the Holy fathers (old and new) to assist us on that journey.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 09:18:25 AM »

Perhaps it is always a good idea to use the directions of a good, kind, erudite priest when you study the Fathers. They are not infallible, you know. They do contradict each other. Certain things that they thought and wrote about are pure fantasy from the point of view of the modern natural science (e.g., forming of the body of Christ from the blood of the Most Holy Theotokos). We certainly should not make ourselves an idol of them, and our clergy is most certainly helpful in sorting out what the Fathers really say, what is really valuable in their writings and what is not.

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: