OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:26:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this just as sinful?  (Read 1140 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: October 18, 2008, 07:17:30 AM »

Ok, I understand why enjoyment of watching Freddy Krueger and Jason movies are sinful because of the focus on pain, blood, wanton sexuality, etc., but what about watching old time horror movies that don't put a lot of focus on these elements, like Dracula (1931) and Nosferatu (1929), etc.? Is it just as bad? Thanks!

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »

Ok, I understand why enjoyment of watching Freddy Krueger and Jason movies are sinful because of the focus on pain, blood, wanton sexuality, etc., but what about watching old time horror movies that don't put a lot of focus on these elements, like Dracula (1931) and Nosferatu (1929), etc.? Is it just as bad? Thanks!

Definitely not just as bad, if for no other reason that in Dracula and Nosferatu good triumphs over evil.  In Jason and Freddie, evil perpetually renews itself.

Btw, the original ones of both were fairly good, in that they had some thought in the plot (not as good as the thinking that went into "Candyman" but good enough).  They just degenerated further as they pandered to the basest in the audience over and over, and over....

Btw. "Indecent Proposal" was a good, in the sense of moral, movie, despite the title would suggest: how the plot develops redeemed it.  Of course, Demi Moore missed that (she said that she would do what her character did, for the reason she did, not thinking of how the character looked back at it).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »

Many of the modern movies have a moral that Death is actually the victor. Since we all die in the end, Death therefore owns all of our souls; it's just a matter of time. This is Greek paganism, the cult of Hades. We know that death is not the end, and that Death has no victory, for we will be resurrected. Because of this, I find films which glorify death to be depressing. I really haven't seen any of them since shortly after becoming Orthodox. I used to be a real fan of films like Blade and Interview with a Vampire, but I've just lost interest.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 01:16:21 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 12:09:07 PM »

I very much enjoy cheesy 80's/90's horror films, and some more serious horror-comedies (Evil Dead 2, Return of the Living Dead, etc.) I don't think it's sinful to watch such movies. Questionable taste, yes, but not sinful. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:09:43 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »

I thought Interview with a Vampire was just depressing and evil....and this was when I in my teens.  It was just disturbing to me.
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:20:43 PM »

There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
High Elder

Now this is something I whole heartedly concur with...so lets attempt to answer the subject question according or in accord with St. John Damascus...you want to begin, or should I?

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »

We proclaim Him also by our senses on all sides, and we sanctify the noblest sense, which is that of sight. The image is a memorial, just what words are to a listening ear. What a book is to the literate, that an image is to the illiterate. The image speaks to the sight as words to the ear; it brings us understanding. Hence God ordered the ark to be made of imperishable wood, and to be gilded outside and in, and the tablets to be put in it, and the staff and the golden urn containing the manna, for a remembrance of the past and a type of the future. Who can say these were not images and far-sounding heralds? And they did not hang on the walls of the tabernacle; but in sight of all the people who looked towards them, they were brought forward for the worship and adoration of God, who made use of them. It is evident that they were not worshipped for themselves, but that the people were led through them to remember past signs, and to worship the God of wonders. They were images to serve as recollections, not divine, but leading to divine things by divine power.

We proclaim Him also by our senses on all sides, and we sanctify the noblest sense, which is that of sight. The image is a memorial, just what words are to a listening ear. What a book is to the literate, that an image is to the illiterate. The image speaks to the sight as words to the ear; it brings us understanding. Hence God ordered the ark to be made of imperishable wood, and to be gilded outside and in, and the tablets to be put in it, and the staff and the golden urn containing the manna, for a remembrance of the past and a type of the future. Who can say these were not images and far-sounding heralds? And they did not hang on the walls of the tabernacle; but in sight of all the people who looked towards them, they were brought forward for the worship and adoration of God, who made use of them. It is evident that they were not worshipped for themselves, but that the people were led through them to remember past signs, and to worship the God of wonders. They were images to serve as recollections, not divine, but leading to divine things by divine power.

From APOLOGIA OF ST JOHN DAMASCENE AGAINST
THOSE WHO DECRY HOLY IMAGES.

Note that St. John identifies our sight as "the noblest sense," so it seems that the question as asked must be answered from this starting point...for what purpose did God give us eyes?

Secondly, St. John says: "The image is a memorial,"  who was it that said, "Garbage in, garbage out."?

Thirdly, St. John says: "The image speaks to the sight as words to the ear..."  Who was it that asked, "How shall the believe if they have not heard and how shall they hear without someone sent to preach.." [not meant as an [precise quotation]?

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:04:01 PM »

For me, horror films are just too dang scary.  I'm not sure if it would be considered evil to watch but I have a vivid imagination and on several occasions I've gotten myself worked up enough just recalling horrific images that I ended up sleeping with the lights on or waking up Mr. Y to reassure me.  Exposing yourself to that kind of fear or allowing fear to grip you might not be spiritually healthy.  For the sake of my own sanity, I don't watch horror any more.  (Though I do enjoy reading H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King... I guess I'm a sucker for punishment.)

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »

I meant Nosferatu (1921), not 1929... Smiley

I know what you mean, E. I had plenty of nightmares from 28 Days Later.... Shocked
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:08:30 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Tags: horror movies movies 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: