OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 02:29:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Why don't you post much?  You can clarify your answers in the thread if you wish.
I only really want to lurk (i.e. read but not post). - 3 (4.5%)
I haven't found a topic that interests me enough to post - 2 (3%)
I don't feel that I have much to contribute - 30 (45.5%)
The debate gets too "heated" for me to want to post - 9 (13.6%)
I don't feel welcome enough to post - 9 (13.6%)
I'm new here and haven't had the chance to yet - 1 (1.5%)
It's too confusing - 1 (1.5%)
Other (please clarify) - 11 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 66

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Those Who Don't Post Much (or Who Don't Post At All)  (Read 27602 times) Average Rating: 0
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 05:41:53 AM »

I should probably pick a little bit of all of the above, but this comment struck a chord.  I'm finding this forum to be the place to go if you want something to complain about.  It never ceases to amaze me that even the most innocuous post will  attract at least one person who MUST find something to complain about.  Its rather disheartening. 

It is rather unfortunate.  I still think we need to have users start threads on simpler subjects, or on subjects of Christian life - and then you'll see more of the users who want nothing to do with Politics or theological debate participate and feel more comfortable.

well -- the one that comes to mind is the nice little post announcing the first Orthodox homeschool conference - I don't think we got to 5 posts before someone had to find something wrong with it.  Undecided 

Nothing to stop you from continuing the topic.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2008, 08:27:08 AM »

Actually, I think there is something from stopping us from continuing.
Often times, I have been interested in dicussing a topic, and the discussion has gone quite well for a few posts, then someone makes a post which is contraversial which takes the thread in a different direction on the same topic. Trying to continue the original discussion becomes futile, and in some instances, causes more outraged posts. My greater investment lies with relationships rather than the topic I'd like to discuss, and so I give up on the topic rather than risk bad blood. This is what stops me from continuing, and it's a shame because it means that many topics end up being dominated by people who shout the loudest.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2008, 08:47:34 AM »

Or over moderate.
 If you have an issue with a moderator's decision, then please pm their supervisor as per forum rules. Do not derail threads.
Second and final warning issued and warning period extended to 28 days.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »

Geek Orthodox--That's me!  Cheesy

Are you uber Geek Orthodox if you've been on online forums since modems were 300 baud?

No.  I think that would make you an Old Modem-ist Orthodox.

Carole
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2008, 08:26:59 PM »

Are you uber Geek Orthodox if you've been on online forums since modems were 300 baud?

and 'forums' were BBS's  Embarrassed

Yes!  Someone else who remembers the good ol' BBS's!  (They seem so ancient now, but our local one didn't die until around 2000.)

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »

No.  I think that would make you an Old Modem-ist Orthodox.

LOL

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »

and 'forums' were BBS's  Embarrassed

Yes!  Someone else who remembers the good ol' BBS's!  (They seem so ancient now, but our local one didn't die until around 2000.)

I met my husband on a BBS.

Carole
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2008, 10:14:53 PM »

I don't feel that I have much to contribute really. Usually when I get on, there are plenty of posts and mostly what I wanted to say has already been said, but I read a lot of the posts and I will post every once in a while.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »

I met a boyfriend on a BBS, shortly before I met my hubby.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:16:18 PM by OrthodoxFairyQueen » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2008, 09:29:17 AM »

A new topic has been started based on the desire of some users to have more diverse (and less theology-debate) subjects on OC.net.

"Topics we should have on OC.net"
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,18441.0.html

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 12:04:59 AM »

Actually, I think there is something from stopping us from continuing.
Often times, I have been interested in dicussing a topic, and the discussion has gone quite well for a few posts, then someone makes a post which is contraversial which takes the thread in a different direction on the same topic. Trying to continue the original discussion becomes futile, and in some instances, causes more outraged posts. My greater investment lies with relationships rather than the topic I'd like to discuss, and so I give up on the topic rather than risk bad blood. This is what stops me from continuing, and it's a shame because it means that many topics end up being dominated by people who shout the loudest.

Wisdom! 

In the past, I was often a hot-headed, run-my-mouth-off knucklehead.  Nowadays, I'm not interested in arguing (even when I'm right, which is most of the time  Wink ).  Also, it's way easy to misunderstand someone on a forum on account you can't see folks' expressions or their voice intonations/inflexion, so I tend to just sit back and let others fuss. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2014, 01:05:10 AM »

Bumpilicious

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »

As if the mosquitoes weren't bad enough...now there are bugs crawling on the computer screen. 

Where's my flyswatter?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2014, 09:38:43 AM »

Other:

It's a mix of things:

This last year and probably for the at least the next year - taking care of serious family needs - so time has been a huge issue.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to really contribute in the debates - though I do read as many of them as I am able and do learn a lot from them.  If I have something that might actually help somewhere I will post - but that's a rare thing.

Once I've posted something that might be of some help, then I really struggle with the pride thing.  It kicks my tail from here to Wednesday - so I have to really be very very very careful. . . or I take / steal HIS glory. . .and that crushes my heart.  So. . . I am often too weak to post.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2014, 08:11:25 AM »

I completely forgot that I had posted this poll... nearly 6 years ago!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2014, 08:21:36 AM »

Good morning,  Father,

Smiley  I'm glad you did.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up