OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 04:48:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Why don't you post much?  You can clarify your answers in the thread if you wish.
I only really want to lurk (i.e. read but not post). - 3 (4.5%)
I haven't found a topic that interests me enough to post - 2 (3%)
I don't feel that I have much to contribute - 30 (45.5%)
The debate gets too "heated" for me to want to post - 9 (13.6%)
I don't feel welcome enough to post - 9 (13.6%)
I'm new here and haven't had the chance to yet - 1 (1.5%)
It's too confusing - 1 (1.5%)
Other (please clarify) - 11 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 66

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Those Who Don't Post Much (or Who Don't Post At All)  (Read 28048 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: October 17, 2008, 05:46:06 PM »

This is just a poll for those who are OC.net members but who don't post much - I'm a stats junkie, so I wanted to see a breakdown of reasons for why we have over 2000 users with fewer than 25 posts, and another nearly 250 who have between 25 and 100 posts.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
DanM

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »

This is just a poll for those who are OC.net members but who don't post much - I'm a stats junkie, so I wanted to see a breakdown of reasons for why we have over 2000 users with fewer than 25 posts, and another nearly 250 who have between 25 and 100 posts.

I do not post too much because I only grab snatches of time here and there for this pleasure.  I am sure many people feel the same pressure of time.
DanM
kmm

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:02:20 PM »

as above (especially now that I am working 40+ hours per week and have 2 kids under 4). Plus, I generally don't have a clue what I am talking about.
DanM

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 10:43:38 PM »

Plus, I generally don't have a clue what I am talking about.

That doesn't stop me.
DSM
Trudy

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »

This is just a poll for those who are OC.net members but who don't post much -

I chose "Don't feel I have much to contribute" because many of the thread topics are very involved and I don't know enough to make an informed post. 

Time is also a contributing factor.  Work, school, family, house, church and book take up a lot of time.

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?  Micah 6:8
Faith

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 11:41:31 PM »

I chose that I don't have much to contribute... I agree with kmm:
I generally don't have a clue what I am talking about.
Plus, I feel like there are only a few people around my age group that post (I'll be 19 next week). I generally find that most people on here are a bit older, which definitely gives them more wisdom and experience. But I really like to 'lurk' lol.

Pray for me,
Faith
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 11:52:05 PM »

Because I'm an obnoxious person who feels that I'm bestowing my All-Knowing Nothiness to a thread that gets heated or not reply at all at the ones that respond to me. Partially its me putting my foot in my mouth and part not actually staying on topic.

I am what you call a troll. Please do further reply to my comment while I feel great about myself.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:52:18 PM by alexp4uni » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »

I only read posts of others because my knowledge in comparison with older and wiser Posters is to little. I just enjoy the opportunity to learn something.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Andrea

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 12:14:29 PM »

I chose that I feel like I don't have much to contribute.  All of the questions I have seem to have already been asked!   Grin  So I spend most of the time reading and learning.

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 12:51:45 PM »

I am not a stats junkie (there are worse addictions  Wink ), but if your interest is in those "who don't post much," shouldn't you classify by posts-per-day ratio rather than total post count?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »

I am not a stats junkie (there are worse addictions  Wink ), but if your interest is in those "who don't post much," shouldn't you classify by posts-per-day ratio rather than total post count?

While you're correct in principle, my question was an exercise in academic honesty: my interest had been peaked by the observation that we have (and this number has been fairly consistent) over 2,000 users with fewer than 25 posts - that's why I used total posts as the criterion in the OP.  However, considering that a usual month will have around 50 new users, it stands to reason that most of the 2,000+ users have a posting rate well below .25 per day, which would be a pretty good definition for "doesn't post much."  In addition, over half of those 2,000+ users have 0 posts, which does bring the average down considerably, but they are the most interesting cases, and thus a major reason for the query.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:57:53 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 02:29:57 PM »

While you're correct in principle, my question was an exercise in academic honesty: my interest had been peaked by the observation that we have (and this number has been fairly consistent) over 2,000 users with fewer than 25 posts - that's why I used total posts as the criterion in the OP.  However, considering that a usual month will have around 50 new users, it stands to reason that most of the 2,000+ users have a posting rate well below .25 per day, which would be a pretty good definition for "doesn't post much."  In addition, over half of those 2,000+ users have 0 posts, which does bring the average down considerably, but they are the most interesting cases, and thus a major reason for the query.

I see.  Well, with a post average of 0.165 per day (as I write this), I will vote "Other" and explain that I can usually find an answer to my questions through searching, so there is little reason to post more frequently than I do.  In addition, I have to log in in order to use the search engine, so maybe that is one reason why there are so many members with so few posts.
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »

"I don't feel that I have much to contribute"  Is what I chose... I do post when I find something that I want to say, but I generally prefer to just read. I don't like to get into debates so I try to also watch how I say things so I don't end up debating with people as well. Even though I've been Orthodox for bout 6 yrs I'm still learning so I don't really know that much yet and feel there's other more knowledgable people here who can answer the questions better than I could.

Mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »

I have a higher post count that you asked for in the question but I still responded since my posts were mostly quite some time back. I visit the site regularly to read but don't post often because I don't feel like I have much to contribute. I find many topics interesting, but then sometimes they will go off into quoting the fathers and councils and I don't have the background to participate.

There is also the fact that I ended up not joining the Orthodox Church but instead joining the Catholic Church. I'm not sure I would have much to offer for the board anyway since I don't wish to come across as negative toward Orthodoxy in any way. Quite the opposite is true. I love the Orthodox Church and maybe someday I will find my home in it.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »

In addition, I have to log in in order to use the search engine, so maybe that is one reason why there are so many members with so few posts.

Interesting point - I hadn't even thought of that!

There is also the fact that I ended up not joining the Orthodox Church but instead joining the Catholic Church. I'm not sure I would have much to offer for the board anyway since I don't wish to come across as negative toward Orthodoxy in any way. Quite the opposite is true. I love the Orthodox Church and maybe someday I will find my home in it. 

Well, I would hope that no one would take it as "coming across negatively toward Orthodoxy."  We do have quite a few RC users who are quite active - and most do not have a negative opinion of Orthodoxy, so you're in good company.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 03:21:16 PM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
JAWS_Thomas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA-DOW

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 05:57:02 PM »

I'm in the same boat as pretty much everyone else here. I come on several times a day to read and more often than not every question is see is answered in every way I could think of to answer it.

"If you're an alien why do you sound like you're from the North?"
"Lots of planets have a north."

-Rose Tyler asking Doctor Who about his accent
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »

I'm giving this a small bump, so those who haven't seen it and want to respond can do so.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:39:40 PM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 02:16:14 PM »

I often feel like a novice, even though I've been Orthodox all my life.  The discussions and depth of knowledge on this forum is amazing.  I love to just READ and LEARN!  This board is a fount of knowledge.

However, I feel inept to enter in to discussions, because I don't have the depth of knowledge others seem to possess.  So, I often prefer to sit back and learn from those who know way more than me.

I've actually grown to love my Faith even more because of this site.  It is a comfort to realize there are so many Orthodox faithful in the world.  Growing up, my sister and I were the only "Orthodox" kids in our public school.

However, it's comforting to know there are MANY of us out there...and even when we have heated discussions, it's only because of our LOVE of Orthodoxy and our sincere desire to keep it pure.

I thank the moderators, boardmembers, members, onlookers, etc. who have shared their knowledge and have made a difference!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 03:49:27 PM »

Serb1389's discussion on "For those who post a lot..." has been split off into its own thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17956.0.html

---------------------
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 04:12:46 PM »

I'm in the same boat as pretty much everyone else here. I come on several times a day to read and more often than not every question is see is answered in every way I could think of to answer it.
That's how I feel. It seems like everyone else knows way more than I do, so why post when everything I could say has already been said better than I could say it? Wink However, because of that, I learn a lot by lurking.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 05:34:04 PM »

Much of the time I feel enormously selfish here, because I have more questions than answers! But the discussions and the answers have all been extremely useful in helping me to sort through many issues and have also been a mirror in which I see my own sinfulness. Sometimes it stings to be rebuked or misunderstood, but this is also good for the soul, and for the acquisition of humility. I very much appreciate this forum and all the brothers and sisters I've come to know and love. Thank you all!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »

I'm here more as a learner than a teacher.  I'm still a catechumen, after all.  Smiley  I don't have a lot of time to spend here, so I don't say much.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »

I choose other (btw, I just found this thread today).

Generally speaking, I don't feel that I have anything major to add because I am not an Orthodox Christian. I read through the board probably twice a day or so. Orthodoxy has a lot of differences than Eastern Catholicism (I'm a Melkite Catholic) and I don't know that much about it.

I like this forum, but I don't see too many new, exciting posts here. While there are some heated posts, I see the forum as a little more low key than other forum. That's also why I like this forum.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 03:12:20 PM »

I usually only post if it's a topic I either have an interest in or feel I have something to contribute. When I was first inquiring into Orthodoxy I found a lot of great stuff here and regulary chatted with several folks via PMs and IMs.
Lately I've felt a couple of folks here make me feel unwelcome, probably due to me expressing a negative opinion about a certain dead Albanian nun.

Proverbs 22:7
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 11:37:46 PM »

probably due to me expressing a negative opinion about a certain dead Albanian nun.
Gee, you might be on to something.  Have you considered solving crimes?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 11:57:05 PM »

Lately I've felt a couple of folks here make me feel unwelcome,

You and me both. However, someone on here told me not to take too much stock in internet forums. Right now, I'm trying to build up my real world life, especially since I'm going back to college. Smiley People will be people, and some of them will hold on to your wrongdoings and those opinions and antics that happen to anger and annoy them. If some are ignoring you and won't tell you why, Crucifer, dust it off and keep writing. There are some of us on here trying to be more welcoming, gentle, and will try to teach you. If I've ever come across unwelcoming to you, I'm sorry. Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Chacci

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 03:11:37 PM »

I chose "I don't feel that I have much to contribute" for several reasons that have been mostly already stated:

1) I'm a bit of a perfectionist and by the time I have a good reply with the right answer, grammar, and spelling - there has already been a reply

2) Because I'm a perfectionist, I take a long time to reply and with work I sometimes decide its not worth the effort. 

3) There are smarter people than me on this forum..

Asking for your prayers,
Chacci
Tabitha

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »

hmmmm, I chose other, because at times I do think things get a little heated.... But I also feel like I don't really have much to contribute, except questions. 
I'm not much of an internet person, but I think that this is a good site to support.  It can also be interesting to lurk and just see what other people have to say, as I am pretty fascinated by some of the characters on this forum Wink
Another reason I don't post much is when I do, my posts tend to either go unnoticed or the thread stops (perhaps it's because I'm a seamstress laugh)  (and make cheesy jokes... Roll Eyes)

Turning to the dead body, Peter said, “Tabitha, arise.”  And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up… and it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed on the Lord.
(Acts 9:40-42)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »

hmmmm, I chose other, because at times I do think things get a little heated.... But I also feel like I don't really have much to contribute, except questions. 
I'm not much of an internet person, but I think that this is a good site to support.  It can also be interesting to lurk and just see what other people have to say, as I am pretty fascinated by some of the characters on this forum Wink
Another reason I don't post much is when I do, my posts tend to either go unnoticed or the thread stops (perhaps it's because I'm a seamstress laugh)  (and make cheesy jokes... Roll Eyes)
Cheesy We need more jokes.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Joseph-James

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

tonsured reader

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »

I found that I was encountering mainly recent converts interested in ramping up on their knowledge of Orthodoxy, and non-Orthodox engaged in comparisons. It became a "been there, done that" sort of thing, so I found it more useful to engage people at church where I can see their faces, etc. Less chance of misunderstandings.

Jim
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 08:44:48 PM »

One -  I generally find church politics spiritually unedifying. Nonetheless, I do like this board for the other issues discussed.

Two - I'm also not good at debate, especially when it gets heated.

Three - I go through posting spells on this and other forums I belong too.

I lurk more than post.

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »

I chose "The debate gets too "heated" for me to want to post" since that represents the majority of my experience. I don't seem interested in the same-old arguments anymore. I can swear I feel my eyes glazing over...

Other times, it's just about time. I really like school, so it takes up a lot of my time. In fact, if you ever see me on here, I could/should be studying some body parts or something.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 05:23:31 AM »

I signed up for this forum because I wanted to talk about ordinary stuff with ordinary Christians.
Instead I found a bunch of nutcases that uses the Church fathers as baseball bats in their arguments. Roll Eyes

Grin I do exaggerate in the above statement, hopefully everyone has the good humour to not get insulted Grin.

But seriously where are the simple discussions about everyday christian life? The discussions about hobbies and interests?
Does every topic have to be about this or that dogma of the Church?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 10:19:49 AM »

I signed up for this forum because I wanted to talk about ordinary stuff with ordinary Christians.
Instead I found a bunch of nutcases that uses the Church fathers as baseball bats in their arguments. Roll Eyes

Grin I do exaggerate in the above statement, hopefully everyone has the good humour to not get insulted Grin.

But seriously where are the simple discussions about everyday christian life? The discussions about hobbies and interests?

You pose very good questions!  We can and do have discussions about hobbies, sports, and random things.  If you'd like, feel free to start more in "The Other Board," (which is our area designated for non-debate kind of things, like casual conversation and the like).

For anyone else who "lurks" or doesn't post much - just because we don't have a discussion on a particular topic, doesn't mean we can't have that discussion.  You can indeed be the catalyst, starting a thread about this topic or that.  If you need help choosing a title, finding a board, or with the logistics of starting a thread, feel free to PM one of the Moderators, Global Moderators, Administrators - or any of the other long-time members of this forum.

---------------------
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 10:49:13 AM »

I would have picked "all" of "most" of the above had it been an option...lol!

Instead I picked that I simply don't have much to contribute. My second choice (and it was a CLOSE second) would have been things can get too heated for me, followed by "don't feel welcome". (sorry you asked...lol!) Much of the second 2 have more to do with me, and bad experiences on message boards in the past. (certainly I contributed to those situations, and at times have been my fault) But I try to learn from my mistakes, though i dont always, and simply stay away from topics that can lead to debates, which is pretty much every topic I'm interested in...lol! Smiley

For the remaining topics I just don't have much to add...ocassionally I'll throw in my 2 cents, but rarely feel I can contribute anything other than my own experience, which is not always helpful to said topic. So mainly I just lurk and read the archives.

Anyways, that's why I'm a lurker mostly....Smiley

Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2008, 12:12:46 PM »

... feel free to start more in "The Other Board,"...

Grin You are right! I have no one to blame but myself for not starting threads.

Unfortunately I am into all the nerdiest things you can imagine, but I will post when I have a topic that might be of interest to anyone here.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »

... feel free to start more in "The Other Board,"...

Unfortunately I am into all the nerdiest things you can imagine, but I will post when I have a topic that might be of interest to anyone here.

Is that a challenge? Reads as a great topic - nerdy avocations.  Cheesy I'll "come clean" if you start a topic.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »

Unfortunately I am into all the nerdiest things you can imagine,

Hey, you're on a board where theology is discussed, you're right at home among fellow nerds, geeks, etc.!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 04:25:59 PM »

Unfortunately I am into all the nerdiest things you can imagine,

Hey, you're on a board where theology is discussed, you're right at home among fellow nerds, geeks, etc.!
Well, most of us are Orthodox, and you have to be kinduva geek to enjoy posting on web forums.  Therefore, I think that makes us Geek Orthodox. Grin
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 09:32:03 PM »

Geek Orthodox--That's me!  Cheesy

Are you uber Geek Orthodox if you've been on online forums since modems were 300 baud?

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 10:34:13 PM »

Are you Geek Orthodox?

If you have searched the Web for the rules for calculating the date of Pascha, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have written a Perl script which calculates the date of Pascha, then you are Geek Orthodox.

If you have noted the major fast/feast days in your Palm Pilot, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have downloaded the entire Trebnik into your Palm, and made the .CSV file available to other priests via anonymous FTP, then you are Geek Orthodox.

If you have the telephone numbers of your priest and parish in your cell phone’s memory, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If your priest has ever sent a text message to your pager via e-mail, then you are both Geek Orthodox.

If you read an Orthodox Discussion List from your laptop, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If the laptop runs Linux, then you are Geek Orthodox.

If you're using AOL with a Microsoft operating system, you're probably not Geek Orthodox (yet). If you have used the Web to find a parish when travelling, then you might be Geek Orthodox. If you maintain a Web site for your parish or jurisdiction, then you are Geek Orthodox.

If you have met a priest through an Orthodox Discussion List, and later visited his parish, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have met a priest through a List, and later sought spiritual counseling from him via e-mail, then you are Geek Orthodox. If he answered you, and began a long correspondence, then you’re both Geek Orthodox.

If you can recall more user ids than names of List subscribers, then you might be Geek Orthodox. If you have ever prayed for a subscriber by user id instead of name, then you are Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever started an argument on the List, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever tried to settle an argument in your parish by distributing printouts from the List, then you are Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever gotten carried away with an argument on the List, and kept on pursuing it long after everyone else is tired of it, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have set up your Mail User Agent to permanently kill-file a particular subscriber of the aforementioned type, then you are Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever mistaken the List for the Church, then you might be Geek Orthodox. If you have ever reminded someone else that the List is not the Church, then you are Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever thought that the List might dissuade more people from Orthodoxy than it attracts, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you became Orthodox even after subscribing to the List for several years, then you are Geek Orthodox.

From http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/OldWorldBasic/Top_Ten_Signs_You_Might_Be_Russian_Orthodox.htm. It's an oldie but a goodie.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 10:41:20 PM »

I should probably pick a little bit of all of the above, but this comment struck a chord.  I'm finding this forum to be the place to go if you want something to complain about.  It never ceases to amaze me that even the most innocuous post will  attract at least one person who MUST find something to complain about.  Its rather disheartening. 

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 10:54:37 PM »

I should probably pick a little bit of all of the above, but this comment struck a chord.  I'm finding this forum to be the place to go if you want something to complain about.  It never ceases to amaze me that even the most innocuous post will  attract at least one person who MUST find something to complain about.  Its rather disheartening. 

It is rather unfortunate.  I still think we need to have users start threads on simpler subjects, or on subjects of Christian life - and then you'll see more of the users who want nothing to do with Politics or theological debate participate and feel more comfortable.

---------------------
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 11:07:16 PM »

Geek Orthodox--That's me!  Cheesy

Are you uber Geek Orthodox if you've been on online forums since modems were 300 baud?

and 'forums' were BBS's  Embarrassed

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »

It is rather unfortunate.  I still think we need to have users start threads on simpler subjects, or on subjects of Christian life - and then you'll see more of the users who want nothing to do with Politics or theological debate participate and feel more comfortable.

well -- the one that comes to mind is the nice little post announcing the first Orthodox homeschool conference - I don't think we got to 5 posts before someone had to find something wrong with it.  Undecided 
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: