OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 01:48:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Like or Amen button  (Read 2689 times) Average Rating: 0
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« on: April 11, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »

Can't remember if this was asked but will do so anyway, is there an option of having like or amen button so we can support the posts we like without having to quotefor example...
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »

I get the appeal, but quoting and posting allows us to support someone's statement with our own reputations/gravitas/what have you. An anonymous like button would take away from that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:32:17 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »

It does not have to be anonuymous. I know of at least one oOrthodix forum which acts as facebook in regards to liking because it indicates who liked whose posts.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 06:36:16 PM »

That would be a great idea, actually. We would have to see that posts do not turn into a popularity contest, so I think having only a like or Amen button would be good. This is especially true of posts that you agree with but don't understand enough to expand on.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 08:34:20 AM »

I hate Facebook.  It would become a popularity contest.

That would be a great idea, actually. We would have to see that posts do not turn into a popularity contest, so I think having only a like or Amen button would be good. This is especially true of posts that you agree with but don't understand enough to expand on.

There's nothing wrong with this.  There are plenty of posts with "I agree", "^This", or "+1" that don't contain any explanation or reason.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »

I believe it would encourage situations like this:

"If you had half a brain, you wouldn't have voted that way." *so-and-so, so-and-so and 14 others liked this*
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:36:14 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:28:56 AM »

I hate Facebook.  It would become a popularity contest.

This. A rating system would make discussions boring.

"If you had half a brain, you wouldn't have voted that way." *so-and-so, so-and-so and 14 others liked this*

True. Silly posts and one-liners supporting the majority view would have high ratings, while interestin, thoughtful yet controversial posts would get voted down. Rating systems always cause a dumbing down f the discussion.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:30:24 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 04:22:54 AM »

I hate Facebook.  It would become a popularity contest.

This. A rating system would make discussions boring.

True. Silly posts and one-liners supporting the majority view would have high ratings, while interestin, thoughtful yet controversial posts would get voted down. Rating systems always cause a dumbing down f the discussion.

It is like having a debate between two people. Each time someone makes a point or if one makes a jab at the opponent, parts of the audience cheers. Seems disruptive to a healthy debate or discussion. Keep the audience quiet, and let the debate move as it would yes!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:23:09 AM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 09:27:42 AM »

Rather than a Like or Amen button, I think we should have an "Anathema" button.  That way, I could anathemize people's posts without actually having to click "Reply to Post" and type ANATHEMA.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
The Fool

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »

I suggest including an upvote button, but no down vote button, so people are encouraged to register that they like or agree with a post if they have nothing to add without clogging the thread with empty "I agree" posts, while requiring people to explain themselves in a post in order to register disagreement.

"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »

I suggest including an upvote button, but no down vote button, so people are encouraged to register that they like or agree with a post if they have nothing to add without clogging the thread with empty "I agree" posts, while requiring people to explain themselves in a post in order to register disagreement.
What?!? No way!  How will I continue to meaninglessly boost my post count if I can't +1 everyone?  Tongue

KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 10:47:54 AM »

How about an "Anathema!" button?
The Fool

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »

What?!? No way!  How will I continue to meaninglessly boost my post count if I can't +1 everyone?  Tongue

+1  Grin

Joha

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Κύριε, σῶσόν με! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »

+1  Tongue

Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"
Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »

I see what you two did there and I'm not amused.  Angry  Grin

The Fool

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »

I see what you two did there and I'm not amused.  Angry  Grin

See, right now I'd like to be able to click a like button on this post to register that I saw it and liked it, because otherwise there's no way for you to tell I didn't ignore it and that would make me feel rude, unless I make this otherwise useless post to say so.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:33:07 AM by The Fool » Logged

Joha

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Κύριε, σῶσόν με! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »

I see what you two did there and I'm not amused.  Angry  Grin

How dare you make me +1 an other reply of you so soon....  Grin

Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"
Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »

I have numerous times suggested that we update the site from its current 2005ish state, lest the foundations crumble under the weight of the pure awesomeness of the posts being made. But I am a crazy crying in the desert it seems.  Cool
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »

I have numerous times suggested that we update the site from its current 2005ish state, lest the foundations crumble under the weight of the pure awesomeness of the posts being made. But I am a crazy crying in the desert it seems.  Cool
I vehemently disagree.  All the "updated" forums I see now are pure crap.  Although, now that I think about it, I would probably like the forum even more if it looked like an old school mid 90's layout.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:05:52 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »

I have numerous times suggested that we update the site from its current 2005ish state, lest the foundations crumble under the weight of the pure awesomeness of the posts being made. But I am a crazy crying in the desert it seems.  Cool
I vehemently disagree.  All the "updated" forums I see now are pure crap.  Although, now that I think about it, I would probably like the forum even more if it looked like an old school mid 90's layout.

I don't mean the look or layout so much as the regular break downs, broken links/problems, entire sections of the site that were abandoned years ago yet are still prominently displayed, etc.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 06:03:11 AM »

Rather than a Like or Amen button, I think we should have an "Anathema" button.  That way, I could anathemize people's posts without actually having to click "Reply to Post" and type ANATHEMA.

ANATHEMA

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 07:36:26 AM »

I have numerous times suggested that we update the site from its current 2005ish state, lest the foundations crumble under the weight of the pure awesomeness of the posts being made. But I am a crazy crying in the desert it seems.  Cool

I want to embed videos, so I can surprise people with more songs, like we do on my favorite political board.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »

I'd rather see the ignore user mod implemented before any of this. Up and down votes, and so on, just add noise and stir up emulation. If there were a way to showcase a few quality comments at the top of a major thread, that could be valuable, but I imagine it would require the moderators to do the work.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 03:52:09 PM »

I'd rather see the ignore user mod implemented before any of this.
I’ve used this on another board, but I think the best policy here is to simply ignore the user without tweaking the technology. There are a few folks I do this with — see an SN or avatar, skip ahead — and some folks here are demonstrably masters at the art of ignoring posts they don’t like.

Besides, I don’t know that an ignore user mod would do that much good if their quotes can still show up in another user’s posts.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 08:45:57 PM »

In theory I'm sure you're right. However, my experience has been that boards that implement it (which are most boards now) feel like much calmer and happier places. When you get old like me sources of stress are not exciting anymore.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 09:07:08 PM »

For the benefit of those contributing: If you'd like to see any new features added to the Forum, simply PM Anastasios (Founder, Webdespota, Admin) with your ideas and rationale.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 09:08:12 PM »

Thank you, Father.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 09:10:16 PM »

I'd rather see the ignore user mod implemented before any of this.
I’ve used this on another board, but I think the best policy here is to simply ignore the user without tweaking the technology. There are a few folks I do this with — see an SN or avatar, skip ahead — and some folks here are demonstrably masters at the art of ignoring posts they don’t like.

Besides, I don’t know that an ignore user mod would do that much good if their quotes can still show up in another user’s posts.

Yes, the ignore user mod is not perfect.

However, the Facebook style of ignore, or BLOCK feature, acts like the blocked person does not exist.
If that blocked person is linked in a text, the entire text will not show up. They will not show up in Liked, a facebook search, or in the seen list.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »

Anathema would be used around here more often. Every poster a pope.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »

Anathema would be used around here more often. Every poster a pope.

Axios too.

Every poster an infallible pope.  Roll Eyes

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »

In theory I'm sure you're right. However, my experience has been that boards that implement it (which are most boards now) feel like much calmer and happier places. When you get old like me sources of stress are not exciting anymore.
Based on your pic I have more gray than you.

I prefer the constructive chaos. It helps undermine some of the narratives. I guess that makes me a bad traditionalist.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: