OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:32:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “Observing/trampling down” Halloween… Orthodox style  (Read 9814 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2008, 11:41:25 AM »

Gabriel, did I come off as crass? Undecided If so, I hadn't meant to come off that way. If Seraphim and his wife made others see Orthodoxy in a positive light, then kudos to him. It's just it would have put me off personally to see so many religious items on someone's door. Smiley I meant no offense, if offense was taken.
You didn't come off as crass at all.  You actually took time to explain your views in a considerate manner. Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2008, 11:51:22 AM »

GabrieltheCelt

The worldwide consensus seems to be against Halloween.
Sources
www.orthodoxinfo.com
www.antiochian.org
www.goarch.org
www.oca.org

Could you give more specific links? I didn't find anything on the Greek and OCA sites against Halloween, and on the Antiochian site I actually found a page of pictures from a Halloween Parade in 2005.
I apologize Asteriktos; I should've done a better job and checked  Tongue .  Last year when this subject came up, I could've sworn I read some pastoral advice exercising extreme caution when/if their parishoners are celebrating Halloween.  I also seem to recall each jurisdiction giving a brief history on Halloween to explain why their parishoners should exercise caution.  But, since I can't seem to find that information this time, I guess I was wrong.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »

Hmmm - calling me out.  I stand by what I said....
In order to avoid embarrasing people, I don't call out individuals by name as a general rule.  You weren't the person(s) in question, but if you feel convicted I'd look into that. Smiley

Oh, it is an X vs. Y thing because the kids are being exposed to something beyond their comprehension.
The Orthodox Church, if I'm not mistaken, exposes children to many things beyond their comprehension.  I'm thinking specifically of infant baptism now as just one example out of many. 

What you bring up is beyond the topic on this forum because Orthodox Christians are humble and the OP is not an example of humility...

Is it humble to point out others' perceived faults? 

and the Orthodox Faith cannot be distilled down to an organic chocolate, icons on the door and Byzantine Music coming from under the table....
I don't believe Seraphim was distilling down the Orthodox Faith.  At least I didn't get that from his post or picture.  What I got was a man who's trying, albeit in his own way, to bring something good from something bad.  Making lemonade from lemons, if you will. Smiley

The Saints didn't need to offer candy to those who martyred them.  The Samaritan Woman could have told Jesus to take a hike.  I can choose not to trick or treat at _Seraphim_'s house regardless of my faith.  All of these choices involve free-will and each choice involves consequences, which is my point.
Point taken; and it's a good point.  But the children expect to get candy; it's the whole raison d'etre of Halloween from a child's perspective.  The children may not comprehend the message (or maybe they will), but perhaps the adults will.  Maybe a seed will be planted.  Almost any exposure to Orthodoxy is bound to be better than no exposure ever, yes? 

If I've offended you, please forgive me.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2008, 01:06:54 PM »

In order to avoid embarrasing people, I don't call out individuals by name as a general rule.  You weren't the person(s) in question, but if you feel convicted I'd look into that. Smiley

When you said to "look closer", I concluded that you had referred to me.  It's all cool.   Wink

The Orthodox Church, if I'm not mistaken, exposes children to many things beyond their comprehension.  I'm thinking specifically of infant baptism now as just one example out of many.

Because entire households were Baptized by the Apostles, including infants, servants and anyone else who wished (by his/her/their free will) to receive Christ.  The Apostles didn't go around giving out organic chocolates to induce people into receiving Christ. 

Is it humble to point out others' perceived faults?

It is humble to point out errors in a well-meaning manner?

I don't believe Seraphim was distilling down the Orthodox Faith.  At least I didn't get that from his post or picture.  What I got was a man who's trying, albeit in his own way, to bring something good from something bad.  Making lemonade from lemons, if you will. Smiley

The intent is good; However, the praxis can be seen as over the top like the boastful Pharisee in the Parable.

Point taken; and it's a good point.  But the children expect to get candy; it's the whole raison d'etre of Halloween from a child's perspective.  The children may not comprehend the message (or maybe they will), but perhaps the adults will.  Maybe a seed will be planted.  Almost any exposure to Orthodoxy is bound to be better than no exposure ever, yes?

That exposure needs to stimulate an individual's free will.  To use an equally relevant example, going to the Metropolitan Museum in NYC and seeing the Byzantine collection of wealthy Greek-Americans isn't going to persuade many people to convert to Orthodoxy.  If someone's free will directs he/she to other Jurisdictions, that free will must be respected and only that person will experience good/bad from his/her decision.  Same goes for all of us on this forum.

If I've offended you, please forgive me.

I forgive you.  If I've offended you, please forgive me as well for I have no issue with you - just some concerns which have been alleviated.   Wink
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2008, 08:24:46 PM »

There is nothing un-Orthodox about giving sweets to children. There are stories of saints giving sweets or treats to young children who would visit them. After I read those stories about the saints and their interactions with children I decided it made sense to give my Sunday school students treats after each lesson.

I think Seraphim's icon display, along with the music and incense are a nice little taste of Orthodoxy for anyone who might want to come to his door. It is called seed planting because he doesn't force anyone to do anything except observe and listen if they so choose. I don't think what he has done is over the top. You all need to come to my town to see how quiet and peaceful Seraphim's display is in contrast to the hideous, ridiculous displays of Halloween in my neighborhood.

Seraphim, don't let the naysayers change what you are doing. We shouldn't hide our faith away. St. Paul stood in the temple of the unknown god and proclaimed the faith publically to the pagan Greeks during the Roman empire. Your quiet celebration is much more subdued than what early Christian evangelists did to proclaim Christ. Forgive those who are still controlled by the fear and submission caused by the Ottoman empire's tactics to crush Orthodoxy's evangelistic spirit. Many of us (progeny of the Orthodox immigrants) still haven't shaken off this residue.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:19:32 PM by Tamara » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2008, 10:02:25 PM »

There is nothing un-Orthodox about giving sweets to children. There are stories of saints giving sweets or treats to young children who would visit them. After I read those stories about the saints and their interactions with children I decided it made sense to give my Sunday school students treats after each lesson.

My grandfather who was a priest had those black priest cloaks with HUGE sleeves, and I loved that when I was a little boy.  He'd always go inside his sleeve and have a treat for me.  I always thought in my childish mind there was something magical in having that cloak and I wanted one myself for all the candy I can pull out my sleeve.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2008, 10:18:49 PM »

Forgive those who are still controlled by the fear and submission caused by the Ottoman empire's tactics to crush Orthodoxy's evangelistic spirit. Many of us (progeny of the Orthodox immigrants) still haven't shaken off this residue.

What happened under the Ottoman Empire has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.  Many of the young Orthodox men, kidnapped and became Janissaries, experienced the "tricks and treats" of the harem never to return home to Christ.  The temptation continues to exist today.

Not every Orthodox Christian has the gift of Evangelization.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2008, 10:39:29 PM »

Well in any event, I cannot see how what our brother Seraphim has done is a sin. It seems to me he is simply very enthusiastic about the Faith and is so overflowing with love for it that he cannot help but want to share it with everyone! That seems quite normal to me. Everyone has a different personality and a different approach, do they not? I agree with Tamara's post, and think it's a very balanced and tolerant perspective for a cradle Orthodox to have. I wish I had the energy and zeal of Seraphim right now.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2008, 10:43:30 PM »

Who said _Seraphim_ sinned?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »

Who said _Seraphim_ sinned?

I didn't.  I only disagreed with the way it was done.

Perhaps it's my personality.  I'm also personally not comfortable with wearing cross necklaces around my neck outside my shirt or having a cross tattoo on my wrist.  So, I take it to heart that things should be hidden, and if in the heart, it's better, because by example, people will see what is in your heart by faith, not by sight.  And besides, they've become more so like jewelry than expression of faith to people.

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2008, 11:23:49 PM »

I agree with you totally about the jewelry and tattoos (although I do understand that in some cultures, Coptic, I believe, it is an old tradition to wear tattoos). However, what about the Great Commission of Christ, to go out into all nations proclaiming the Gospel? Isn't this mandate for us today, or was it only for the Apostles of the NT era? Just wondering.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2008, 11:34:31 PM »

However, what about the Great Commission of Christ, to go out into all nations proclaiming the Gospel? Isn't this mandate for us today, or was it only for the Apostles of the NT era? Just wondering.

No one has stated anywhere in this thread that we should not evangelize our neighbors.  The concerns expressed have been whether _Seraphim_'s method is an effective way of doing so.  I doubt that anyone here who has objected to _Serapahim_'s display thinks we should ignore the Great Commission, but instead probably believe, as Y indicated, that the method displayed is counter-productive.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2008, 11:36:55 PM »

Forgive those who are still controlled by the fear and submission caused by the Ottoman empire's tactics to crush Orthodoxy's evangelistic spirit. Many of us (progeny of the Orthodox immigrants) still haven't shaken off this residue.

What happened under the Ottoman Empire has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.  Many of the young Orthodox men, kidnapped and became Janissaries, experienced the "tricks and treats" of the harem never to return home to Christ.  The temptation continues to exist today.

Dear Greek Brother-in-Christ, SolEX01

The pain our ancestors had to deal with under the Ottomans was extreme. The fact that they were able to preserve the faith under the conditions they had to live was their testimony. I have heard the stories of disfiguring and maiming the children so the Turks wouldn't take them away to be placed in harems or to be trained as Janissaries. My grandfather's cousin was taken away at the tender age of 14. He was conscripted into the Turkish army. He never returned. If it were not for the courage of our families to remain Orthodox, you and I wouldn't be here today. We should always honor their memory and commemorate them in the Divine Liturgy.

But we now are living in a different time and in different circumstances than our ancestors. In fact, these times almost mirror, in many respects, the times of the Roman Empire. We live in the land of the free. We all use a common language. Folks have become weary of the religion they grew up with and are searching for something with more substance. I can understand your hesitancy in what may look to you as a showy display of our faith. We aren't used to sharing Orthodoxy with our non-Orthodox neighbors. But many of those who are new to faith are bursting with fervor of the saints to share Orthodoxy with all. We may feel uncomfortable with the way they do it because it is something we aren't used to doing but we shouldn't discourage them. The Holy Spirit moves us all in different ways to serve.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:43:15 PM by Tamara » Logged
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2008, 12:47:37 AM »

I agree with you totally about the jewelry and tattoos (although I do understand that in some cultures, Coptic, I believe, it is an old tradition to wear tattoos). However, what about the Great Commission of Christ, to go out into all nations proclaiming the Gospel? Isn't this mandate for us today, or was it only for the Apostles of the NT era? Just wondering.

Well, for me personally, there's a couple of things.  First, with my beard, I look like an Arab terrorist.  In addition, my name Mina sparks some questions like "Isn't that a girl name?"  I take the opportunity to show off my Orthodoxy based on these two things.  Sooner or later, I would develop a reputation for like history and theology, and having a good sense of humor and party-lover.

Pretty much, it happens not by standing in the street and proclaiming the truth of Orthodoxy, but in my everyday experiences and talks with people in a very subtle manner.  In addition, it helps a lot when you do this not in the expectation that you will convert the person in front of you, but in the manner that you just love talking about these things, among other things that make you closer socially, like talking about the next Heroes show or your favorite NBA team, or the type of music you like (and that SNL rap for Sarah Palin was just hilarious).

And setting a good example.  It makes a big impression among my friends when I like to drink and I never get drunk and more often than not I'm their DD.  It says a lot about being your friendly Orthodox Christian in your neighborhood, knowing how to be part of the neighborhood without compromising my faith, without scaring people away, and comfortably talking about my beliefs when possible, when the time is right, and when necessary all at the same time.

I stand out not by what I wear, or what I hang up on my door, but who I am.  Because of the love I show to my neighbors, the friendly mood I am in and I put others in, and the enthusiasm when the time is right when talking about my faith, I don't become the terrorist looking dude with a seemingly female name, I become Arab Orthodox Christian with a pretty kool (if not the koolest) Egyptian dude name, who loves to sing, talk theology, be sociable on any level, and loves to have fun.

So, remember, it should naturally, as a matter of experience and daily conversation.  It's not very easy to answer the question "How should I evangelize?"  I am trying to spread the gospel, but in this society, it must come very subtly.  Before someone feasts on hearing the gospel, someone must smell something appeasing.  I try to help out with that smell.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2008, 01:05:10 AM »

Dear Sister-in-Christ, Tamara,   Smiley

Forgive me for I don't wish to come across as pushy and argumentative for I have no quarrel with you.  Our Brother in the OP demonstrated how he decorates his house during Halloween.  I do not understand why your comments relating to the Ottoman Empire were necessary for the Church has prevailed against 14 Centuries of Islam.  Having said that....

The pain our ancestors had to deal with under the Ottomans was extreme. The fact that they were able to preserve the faith under the conditions they had to live was their testimony. I have heard the stories of disfiguring and maiming the children so the Turks wouldn't take them away to be placed in harems or to be trained as Janissaries.

Such maiming and disfiguring was not appropriate and not justified under any Scriptural/Traditional/Canonical standards.  The logical thing to do would have been to run away and die under the sword.  There aren't too many stories of escape from the harem (men and women).

My grandfather's cousin was taken away at the tender age of 14. He was conscripted into the Turkish army. He never returned. If it were not for the courage of our families to remain Orthodox, you and I wouldn't be here today. We should always honor their memory and commemorate them in the Divine Liturgy.

Some people were fortunate to come from remote parts of Greece that the Ottomans didn't bother taxing.  I don't know what my ancestors were 200, 300, 400, 500, 1,000 years ago - maybe Catholic (e.g. Albanian), maybe Serb (e.g. Orthodox) or even Muslim.  I am grateful to whichever ancestor converted to the Orthodox faith.   Smiley

I can understand your hesitancy in what may look to you as a showy display of our faith. We aren't used to sharing Orthodoxy with our non-Orthodox neighbors.

There are other ways to share Orthodoxy with non-Orthodox neighbors from their perspective not from Orthodox perspective.  There are many examples in Scripture with my favorite one being the Samaritan Woman from where Christ used her perspective to convince herself that Christ was the Son of God.  Arbitrarily and randomly sharing the Orthodox perspective, IMO, is tantamount to lecturing/proselytizing.  That has failed in my one experience with my estranged wife.  I learned that the Book of Job doesn't help someone in a crisis.   Huh  I also learned that there's a difference between answering questions and lecturing on Orthodox dogma.  Finally, maybe I wasn't even meant by the Holy Spirit to talk about the Orthodox faith to anyone at any time.  All these experiences recount how I have shared my Orthodox faith inside and outside my "comfort zone."

But many of those who are new to faith are bursting with fervor of the saints to share Orthodoxy with all. We may feel uncomfortable with the way they do it because it is something we aren't used to doing but we shouldn't discourage them. The Holy Spirit moves us all in different ways to serve.

I respect and welcome every convert to the Orthodox faith except that the Orthodox faith demands more from all of us than mere obedience. Demonstrating faith is one thing and one has to practice it by ministering to the sick, lonely, poor, hungry, those in crisis, those in prison where each group cited has someone looking for the truth.  Giving out expensive organic chocolates with the Divine Liturgy as background music is respectfully not my way of ministering to the "least of Christ's Brethren."
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2008, 07:23:32 AM »

However, what about the Great Commission of Christ, to go out into all nations proclaiming the Gospel? Isn't this mandate for us today, or was it only for the Apostles of the NT era? Just wondering.

No one has stated anywhere in this thread that we should not evangelize our neighbors.  The concerns expressed have been whether _Seraphim_'s method is an effective way of doing so.  I doubt that anyone here who has objected to _Serapahim_'s display thinks we should ignore the Great Commission, but instead probably believe, as Y indicated, that the method displayed is counter-productive.
Exactly. And as people's personalities are different, perhaps this display would bring some to the Church. However, it would have turned me away from it, and I think it would others as well. Not everyone will believe immediately, but we need to be careful that our evangelizing keeps the door open for them to believe later.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »

I see that this thread has generated a lot of polarity of opinion! For the sake of clarity, I will confess that Seraphim's approach would not be my own. This is not at all my style. My personality is more unassuming and quiet and shuns such open displays. Howver, if Seraphim wants to do something like this, I am not opposed.

I asked about the Great Commission merely because this has been something on my mind and I have been truly curious what the Orthodox understanding of this actually is.

Minasoliman, I guess I will never be able to discuss Heroes or NBA games, because all TV shows etc were lost to me as I didn't grow up with TV and to this day live without it and rarely watch movies.  But I hope I can still show love to my neighbours even without that knowledge.

Please forgive me if I've offended anyone. Such really was not my intention at all.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:05:20 AM by Rosehip » Logged

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »

Minasoliman, I guess I will never be able to discuss Heroes or NBA games, because all TV shows etc were lost to me as I didn't grow up with TV and to this day live without it and rarely watch movies.  But I hope I can still show love to my neighbours even without that knowledge.

Dear Roseship,

I've learned that when becoming that "unassuming evangelist," everyone's personality and culture is different, and the difference in personality demands different targets of those being evangelized.  This is merely my life.  Yours can be a different story.  What you and I may have in common is how we use the culture and our likes to our advantage in pulling people closer to the gospel.  So there is nothing in my post that suggests you have to have TV knowledge to be effective.  Use whatever knowledge you have in the culture you're in to be effective.

And of course love is without question.

God bless.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:48:45 PM by minasoliman » Logged

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2008, 10:57:32 PM »

With all due respect ... I don't like the idea.   Sad

The Orthodox faith is being exploited.  Christ said "Come and See" not "Let me shove it down your throat."

"Come and See" can easily become a copout for not doing evangelism at all.

Anyway there is a difference between evangelism and bearing witness. Seraphim and his wife are bearing witness to their faith. For the thirty seconds someone will be in their presence and on their doorstep and with all the other stuff people will see that night, it may be completely forgetable; or maybe one more eccentric halloween display; or maybe it will have a lasting soul-healing impact on someone. I really doubt it could be offensive and turn people off.

I think it's a pretty cool idea.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:27:53 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2008, 11:03:46 PM »

What is your point?  I didn't see anyone taking the "low, crass route." 

So, _Seraphim_ is now offering organic chocolates vs. the Water of Eternal Life Christ offered to the Samaritan Woman?  Orthodox Evangelizing has spiraled out of control and unfortunately, there is no way to "put the genie back in the bottle." because everyone does His/Her own thing.   Huh  Huh

[/quote]

Give the guy a break.
Maybe you had to be there and it was actually very tasteful when not trapped by a lense with a close-up perspective of a door photo and maybe Seraphim and his wife are gentle and gracious people and can pull it off in an inviting and loving way
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:20:34 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2008, 11:05:30 PM »

Why would you have done this automatically instead of asking him directly what his motives were?  Why not give him the benefit of the doubt?
[/quote]
Because those to whom I had given the benefit of the doubt previously have given me every reason not to have doubted. I had left the Protestant church over showy antics like this without real substance. I would have seen the showy antics and connected them with the lack of substance in the Protestant church, and assumed that he also was proselytizing under false pretenses. One form of Christianity was as bad as another; they were all liars and con artists.
[/quote]

ditto (see above)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:19:12 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »

The pain our ancestors had to deal with under the Ottomans was extreme. The fact that they were able to preserve the faith under the conditions they had to live was their testimony. I have heard the stories of disfiguring and maiming the children so the Turks wouldn't take them away to be placed in harems or to be trained as Janissaries. My grandfather's cousin was taken away at the tender age of 14. He was conscripted into the Turkish army. He never returned. If it were not for the courage of our families to remain Orthodox, you and I wouldn't be here today. We should always honor their memory and commemorate them in the Divine Liturgy.

But we now are living in a different time and in different circumstances than our ancestors. In fact, these times almost mirror, in many respects, the times of the Roman Empire. We live in the land of the free. We all use a common language. Folks have become weary of the religion they grew up with and are searching for something with more substance. I can understand your hesitancy in what may look to you as a showy display of our faith. We aren't used to sharing Orthodoxy with our non-Orthodox neighbors. But many of those who are new to faith are bursting with fervor of the saints to share Orthodoxy with all. We may feel uncomfortable with the way they do it because it is something we aren't used to doing but we shouldn't discourage them. The Holy Spirit moves us all in different ways to serve.

Tamara

Very nicely put. Your words rendered a very difficult situation in a very peaceful way. God bless you!

I just want us to remember that "the land of the free" for most of its history and is at the bedrock of its economic acheivement envied by all other nations today...was slavery, hardship and extreme human suffering.

The scars are still open wounds till this day for many of the descendants of those tortured souls.

These 'descendents' still live with the contempt and disregard heaped onto those before them. For 'them' today and 'those' before 'them' the Holy Church was never an option that was available. Even the "christian faiths" that were so well placed in this 'land of the free' by their slave masters was not made available to them. The beleive then was that these 'slaves' were NOT MEN (NON-HUMAN) and thus had no more right to salvation then the cows, pigs and chickens. The constitution of the 'land of the free' describes them as 3/5's man. Three fifths man. Go figure!

but this was the 'land of the free'.

Today the constitution still holds to its word unchanged.

I just want us to keep in perspective what we mean when we say 'land of the free'.

You said nothing wrong at all.

Your point was very beautifully put.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:34:39 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »

Dear Sister-in-Christ, Tamara,   Smiley

Forgive me for I don't wish to come across as pushy and argumentative for I have no quarrel with you.  Our Brother in the OP demonstrated how he decorates his house during Halloween.  I do not understand why your comments relating to the Ottoman Empire were necessary for the Church has prevailed against 14 Centuries of Islam.  Having said that....
My point was, the mindset of keeping our faith hidden came from years of oppression under the Turks. Most of us cradle Orthodox have forgotten how to evangelize. So when we see converts doing it, we become nervous and tend to criticize.

There are other ways to share Orthodoxy with non-Orthodox neighbors from their perspective not from Orthodox perspective.  There are many examples in Scripture with my favorite one being the Samaritan Woman from where Christ used her perspective to convince herself that Christ was the Son of God.  Arbitrarily and randomly sharing the Orthodox perspective, IMO, is tantamount to lecturing/proselytizing.  That has failed in my one experience with my estranged wife.  I learned that the Book of Job doesn't help someone in a crisis.   Huh  I also learned that there's a difference between answering questions and lecturing on Orthodox dogma.  Finally, maybe I wasn't even meant by the Holy Spirit to talk about the Orthodox faith to anyone at any time.  All these experiences recount how I have shared my Orthodox faith inside and outside my "comfort zone."
Seraphim's display involved no lectures. It was a quiet display and folks were free to decide if they wanted to approach his home or not.

I respect and welcome every convert to the Orthodox faith except that the Orthodox faith demands more from all of us than mere obedience. Demonstrating faith is one thing and one has to practice it by ministering to the sick, lonely, poor, hungry, those in crisis, those in prison where each group cited has someone looking for the truth.  Giving out expensive organic chocolates with the Divine Liturgy as background music is respectfully not my way of ministering to the "least of Christ's Brethren."
There are other ways of evangelizing other than ministering to the poor. St. Paul, St. Peter, St. John Chrysostom, St. Photios, Sts. Cyril and Methodias all evangelized in their own way. Everyone is given a gift or talent to use and so the ways to evangelize are only limited by the power of the Holy Spirit. Try not to discourage others who have been given  a different gift than you. We are all unique.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:14:57 PM by Tamara » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2008, 05:07:14 PM »

My point was, the mindset of keeping our faith hidden came from years of oppression under the Turks. Most of us cradle Orthodox have forgotten how to evangelize. So when we see converts doing it, we become nervous and tend to criticize.

What did people do before the Turks came along?  Were these societies heterogeneous?  More specifically, what kind of evangelization happened between 1054 and 1453?

Seraphim's display involved no lectures. It was a quiet display and folks were free to decide if they wanted to approach his home or not.

Because people today can't tell the difference between an Orthodox icon and whatever shows up on their Nintendo Wii system, Blackberry or Digital HDTV.  Curiousity is one thing.

There are other ways of evangelizing other than ministering to the poor. St. Paul, St. Peter, St. John Chrysostom, St. Photios, Sts. Cyril and Methodias all evangelized in their own way. Everyone is given a gift or talent to use and so the ways to evangelize are only limited by the power of the Holy Spirit. Try not to discourage others who have been given  a different gift than you. We are all unique.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone who has been blessed differently than I have.  I hope and pray that their techniques and approaches work.  My concern is where does one draw the line, if such a line needs to be drawn.   Huh
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2008, 05:26:39 PM »

I'm not trying to discourage anyone who has been blessed differently than I have.  I hope and pray that their techniques and approaches work.  My concern is where does one draw the line, if such a line needs to be drawn.   Huh
Line between what and what? Huh
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2008, 05:33:40 PM »

I think she means between evangelizing and being obnoxious/forcing the issue. Undecided  Just a guess.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2008, 05:34:37 PM »

My apologies...

Line between Evangelization and Proselytizing.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2008, 05:48:42 PM »

Brother! i love what your doing..have to mention don't forget the holy water and the basil ....you can also put the holy water in a squirt gun preferably a mega squirt gun and shower them with God's blessings that way as well...just a suggestion.....SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:29:26 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »

What did people do before the Turks came along?  Were these societies heterogeneous?  More specifically, what kind of evangelization happened between 1054 and 1453?
St. John Chrysostom is remembered as "golden mouthed" because by his words he was able to convert others.
St. Cyril and St. Methodias created an alphabet for the slavs and then used that alphabet to translate the Holy Scriptures and the services in order to evangelize them.
I think the ways of bringing the faith to others is limited only by our gifts. God can use each of us in our own unique way to spread the faith.

[quote author]

Because people today can't tell the difference between an Orthodox icon and whatever shows up on their Nintendo Wii system, Blackberry or Digital HDTV.  Curiousity is one thing.
I would say that what Seraphim did was seed planting for those who chose to come to his door. If they had never been exposed to Orthodox chanting or iconography, those images and sounds were planted like little seeds into each person's
mind. Then in time, maybe another will come along and water those seeds. And still later, those seeds may grow into a desire to learn more. Who can say? But the important thing to do is to plant the seeds.

A Greek Orthodox priest did the same kind of seed planting with my priest. Many years ago, my priest was a young evangelical seminary student taking a Biblical Greek class at a Protestant seminary taught by a Greek Orthodox priest. The Greek priest decided to start each lesson by having his students sing, "Agios, O Theos." The sound of that chanted prayer reached deep into my priest's heart whenever he sang that ancient hymn. He would come home and tell his young wife about the effect that hymn had on him. She worriedly asked him,"What are you thinking? Do you want to convert to Orthodoxy?" He replied,"No, nothing crazy like that dear." But then, as the Holy Spirit would have it, ten years later that is exactly what happened. And my priest attributed his first taste of Orthodox spirituality to that amazing Greek Orthodox priest! So, who is to say how Seraphim's little Halloween display will be the beginning of a change of heart. Even if only one person eventually converts because of it, the angels in heaven will rejoice!

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 08:49:40 PM »

A Greek Orthodox priest did the same kind of seed planting with my priest. Many years ago, my priest was a young evangelical seminary student taking a Biblical Greek class at a Protestant seminary taught by a Greek Orthodox priest. The Greek priest decided to start each lesson by having his students sing, "Agios, O Theos." The sound of that chanted prayer reached deep into my priest's heart whenever he sang that ancient hymn. He would come home and tell his young wife about the effect that hymn had on him. She worriedly asked him,"What are you thinking? Do you want to convert to Orthodoxy?" He replied,"No, nothing crazy like that dear." But then, as the Holy Spirit would have it, ten years later that is exactly what happened. And my priest attributed his first taste of Orthodox spirituality to that amazing Greek Orthodox priest! So, who is to say how Seraphim's little Halloween display will be the beginning of a change of heart. Even if only one person eventually converts because of it, the angels in heaven will rejoice!

I would argue the time and place and set mood for the Trisagion hymn were perfect.  And not to mention the presence of the Greek priest is a seed in and of itself.  I went to a Protestant Bible Study one time, and we talked psalms, and I took the chance to show how we Copts sing Psalms 148-150.  One seemed to enjoy it, and reminded him of how Jews pray the Psalms.

But I wouldn't sing the psalms in the middle of a giving away candy to children with costumes.  Wink

God bless.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2008, 10:07:26 PM »

Reply #73 is exactly an example of what I was referring to by "sharing Orthodoxy with non-Orthodox neighbors from their perspective" especially at a Protestant Seminary.

The Greek Orthodox Priest was probably forbidden from proselytizing but not chanting an ancient hymn found in Scripture and used today in the Divine Liturguy.  Will one find Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, Have Mercy on Us in a Protestant Hymnal.   Wink
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2008, 11:02:40 PM »

"Come and See" can easily become a copout for not doing evangelism at all.

You got it.

ditto (see above)

Um...unsure here...were you ditto-ing what YOU said in the post before about giving Seraphim a break, what I said about giving him the benefit of the doubt, or what Y said about not giving folks that benefit?

Sorry...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2008, 07:36:14 PM »

This is the typical Halloween experience for children (as young as infants):

...And in the midst of all that, 0.00001% of those children will see ANYthing like this (the main icon in the middle of our door):

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
Matt 5:14-16

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."
Matt 10:42

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:53 PM »

Point taken (which is why children and infants should only trick or treat in the daytime; they would look less scary then).  But if I were to hang a icon, one (like the Theotokos) would suffice imo.  To fill the whole door just screams "Extremist, backwards, avoid!"  And why not keep this icon hanging for the whole year?  Why just Halloween?  I think that's a beautiful icon worthy of sticking around.

And promising you a picture, the Theotokos when you open my front door:

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2008, 01:22:17 AM »

QUOTE BY DAVIDBRYAN
Um...unsure here...were you ditto-ing what YOU said in the post before about giving Seraphim a break, what I said about giving him the benefit of the doubt, or what Y said about not giving folks that benefit?

Sorry...
[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion
the ditto was giving Seraphim a break
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:25:55 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2008, 11:18:09 AM »

I figured it was worth mentioning:

Shortly after last Halloween, our priest and his wife came to visit.  When we opened the front door (which still had all the icons on it) both of them were smiling from ear to ear.  Grin Wink

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
Tags: Halloween icons 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: