OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Artsy treatment of liturgical music  (Read 2263 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: October 13, 2008, 10:27:04 PM »

This is bugging me.  Last night I posted this video with Armenian Church hymns in the OO music thread (post #193):

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9840.msg259728.html#msg259728

It's not like the guy is doing anything really disrespectful with the music, but he is mixing it in a way you would never hear in church.  Is that a totally unacceptable thing, or is it just being a little artistic and it's O.K. as long as it's not done in church?

I seem to recall a number of years ago there was some pop singer who mixed Gregorian Chant into a secular song.  I can't recall who it was, though.

This isn't as bad as that, but does anyone else find it bothersome?  I'm probably overreacting.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:50:08 PM »

I like it.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:55:28 PM »

Mikis Theodorakis is a Greek composer who has set many liturgical services to orchestral music with choirs singing them beautifully to his own melodies. In his Requiem he presents the Memorial Service of the Church with a full orchestra and huge, polyphonic choir. In the background, the tubular bells are played in the rubrics of the bell-ringing for a funeral and Good Friday (each bell is struck once from smallest to largest then repeated). He has conducted his works across the world, and has thus presented the prayers of the Church to people who would not normally encounter them.
Yes, I think it's artsy, and certainly wouldn't think such works should be used liturgically, but they can certainly act as "ambassadors" for the beauty of the Orthodox Church- and perhaps someone who experiences them may want to learn more.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »

Better than the rock n roll yuck they have in some American churches. Better than "Christian" rap music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWxwUyPlIlY

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:20:21 PM »

I guess you must really hate the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky. Russia Liturgical Tone 1 runs through the piece. Or Rimsky-Koriskovs Paschal Symphony. Anyone who has ever heard to Russian "Let God Arise..." can recognize his use of it instantly. The composers use themes to bring connections to audiences.

Joseph
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »

I guess you guys are right.  I'm overreacting.   Smiley

Does anyone remember the pop song I am thinking of, that had the Gregorian Chant in it?  Now trying to remember that is going to bother me.   Grin

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 11:44:20 PM »

I guess you guys are right.  I'm overreacting.   Smiley

Does anyone remember the pop song I am thinking of, that had the Gregorian Chant in it?  Now trying to remember that is going to bother me.   Grin
Was it Mea Culpa by Enigma?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBBHJZD7BXM

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 12:20:03 AM »

I don't think that was it.  Interesting, though.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 12:43:45 AM »

This is one contemporary song that used Gregorian Chant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Ys0mksl_k

This is a Protestant Christian group, singing about the Crucifixion, and I think they were using the chant in a respectful manner. 

There was another song, though, very similar to the one posted by Ozgeorge, which was different.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:50:28 AM »

There was another song, though, very similar to the one posted by Ozgeorge, which was different.
Was it Sadness (Part 1) by Enigma?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEh2N5hmPVM

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 12:57:30 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm thinking of.  Thanks.    Smiley

LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 03:42:39 AM »

I guess you must really hate the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky. Russia Liturgical Tone 1 runs through the piece. Or Rimsky-Koriskovs Paschal Symphony. Anyone who has ever heard to Russian "Let God Arise..." can recognize his use of it instantly. The composers use themes to bring connections to audiences.

Tone 1 runs though the 1812 Overture as it is the melody of the Troparion to the Cross: Spasi, Gospodi lyudi tvoya ... This troparion was also an unofficial battle hymn during Tsarist times, hence its presence in the 1812. Also heard is the melody of God Save the Tsar, the imperial anthem.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 09:36:49 AM »

Salpy, I enjoyed the video! Nothing wrong with the music or with its interpretation - it's very spiritual and just so beautiful... A great start for my day! Thank you!

Love never fails.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 12:45:34 AM »

I'm glad you liked it.  Now that I've listened to it a few times, I've come to appreciate it better.   Smiley

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »

I guess you must really hate the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky. Russia Liturgical Tone 1 runs through the piece.

Is there a link to anything using that liturgical tone?  It must be beautiful.

Lily

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »

Loreena McKennit uses part of the Bridegroom Matins on her song "Dante's Prayer." 

I knew the song years before I became Orthodox, so I was a bit startled to hear it during my first Bridegroom Matins!
Lily

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »

Here's a link to Dante's Prayer so you can hear it.  She's one of my favorite artists.

http://www.last.fm/music/Loreena+McKennitt/_/Dante's+Prayer
Tags: music Orthodox Music Oriental Orthodox Music liturgical music Armenian Church Tchaikovsky New Age Music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: