OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 01:22:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Votive Candle holders for the wall?  (Read 2190 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: October 12, 2008, 10:30:07 PM »

Do any of you happen to know of anywhere online that I could order something to hang votive candles in front of my icons?  Hanging ones are fine, or even just ones to place the candles directly beneath my Christ and Theotokos icons.

Thanks!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 10:50:28 PM »

For one:

http://www.conciliarpress.com/other-gifts/prayercorner

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:01:14 AM »

Thanks!  These seem like an affordable option.  Any other suggestions?
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 12:07:13 AM »

Here is a link to Holy Trinity Orthodox Church State College's website http://www.holytrinity-oca.org/bookstore.php  They have a list of links to suppliers who most likely sell lampadas/wall votive candle holders.  There is also http://www.istok.net/ and http://www.easternchristiansupply.biz/

The Holy Trinity website has links to 14 online stores.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:12:35 AM by username! » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 12:33:12 AM »

So with the lampadas, how does the whole oil-burning thing work?  Am I supposed to buy some kind of wick to place in the oil or what?  I really have absolutely no idea how they work...
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 01:00:12 AM »

you put water in the bottom (will extinguish the flame if tipped over and when oil runs out) then olive oil then a cork float and wick.  Places that sell votive lamps/lampadas/vigil lamps should have the cork floats and wicks for sale, usually not more than a few dollars for the wick and float.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:11:48 AM »

OK, so I used some of my Christmas money to purchase wall hangers and vigil lamps, but really I just can't figure these lamps out.  First of all I don't have the floating wicks.  I tried just filling up the lamps with olive oil, and then dunking the wick in olive oil and threading it through whatever rests on top of the glass holder.

So the flames just burns down to the end of the brass thing that I've threaded it through and then extinguishes.  So apparently I am too stupid to operate this thing.  Can somebody please post detailed instructions like you would give an idiot?  I have no idea what I am doing!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:11:57 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 01:13:56 AM »

To clarify, the wick that I have is like a long white wick.  It looks like rope or something; it's not wax.  Must I have a float?  What is the floats function?
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:17:04 PM »

Umm. . . I can't help. All I know is that the ones I have seen use a metal mesh to hold the wick above the fuel (and they use parafin instead of olive oil). Sorry I'm not able to help. . . Sad

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 01:42:46 AM »

To clarify, the wick that I have is like a long white wick.  It looks like rope or something; it's not wax.  Must I have a float?  What is the floats function?

Yes you have to have a float.  The float keeps the wick in check and holds it in place.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 10:59:14 PM »

You don't need a cork float, they also have what are called "Old Believer" floats that rest on top of the glass and it sounds like that is what your using. Is it something like this: http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=WH4002? If so, I might know what your problem is. The wicks that you are using must be the cotton ones. If you have some trouble getting the wick though the float, then thats the problem because if it's too tight a fit, then the oil can't soak up to through the wick and it won't stay lit. Usually when you take the wick, it is in three strands twisted together. What you need to do is take them apart so you just have one strand (I hope this makes sense). I had that problem when I used the "Old Believer" style holder and it took me a while to figure out why my flame wasen't staying lit but then I just took the strand apart.

If thats something your not using and I misunderstood you, I guess you can just ignore it and buy yourself some cork floats and some wicks.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:05:36 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Tags: icon corner votive lamp 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: