OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:23:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *Literal* translation of Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom?  (Read 2171 times) Average Rating: 0
pob

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Ireland

« on: October 12, 2008, 10:42:24 AM »

I've just joined to ask this question, I hope it's not off-topic:

My choir is learning a few pieces from the Tchaikovsky St. John Chrysostom Liturgy in Church Slavonic.
Thanks to other links on this forum, especially http://en.liturgy.ru
I can understand some of it.
Our scores have free translations which is fine but personally I like to know what each word means.
It's quite a challenge to get my tongue around "Cheruvimi nevidimo dorinosima chinmi"

So, is there anywhere a literal word-for-word translation of the Church Slavonic?
I know it's not going to be readable English, that's not the point - it's to help me understand the words I am singing.
Ideally it would have one word per line in two columns, one for Slavonic and one for English.

AND if anyone had links to clearly spoken pronunciation of the text, that would be fantastic!
I've already found the lordsprayer.mp3 from www.orthodoxepubsoc.org

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »

There are plenty of translations of the Divine Liturgy in English. Around the turn of the century there were a number of translations made from Church Slavonic into English but this ended up with some very poor translations. Most every translation that is used in the English speaking world is actually a translation from the Greek. I believe even the OCA and ROCOR translations, which came out of Church Slavonic origins, have now all been compared and corrected to match Greek text. 

Joseph
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:42:40 PM »

I also have noticed that you are located in Ireland, shouldn't your choir be learning this in English?

Joseph
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 04:02:35 PM »

Try this page: http://web.archive.org/web/20071213162055/justin.zamora.com/slavonic/analyses/cherubic-hymn.html

It's gone now, but the Wayback Machine got it.
pob

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Ireland

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 04:44:33 AM »

Thank you, wynd, that's exactly what I wanted!
I'll look for more on Zamora's pages.

I have access to plenty of translations but I am not looking for fidelity to the meaning as it would be correctly expressed in English. I am trying to understand the old Church Slavonic words.

Our choir director always has us sing in the original language - German, Medieval French, whatever. Next year we'll be doing the Janacek Glagolitic Mass, which will be another challenge, according to
http://www.christopherculver.com/ignorance/?p=6

Regards

Patrick

Tags: word for word old church Slavonic english 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: