OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 09:37:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 24 prayers of St John Chrystostom for the hours of the day?  (Read 1556 times) Average Rating: 0
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« on: October 10, 2008, 10:08:48 PM »

The Estonian composer and Orthodox convert Arvo Pärt wrote some years back a setting of 24 prayers by St. John Chrysostom for every hour of the day and night. Here is the English translation used in the piece.

Does anyone know where I can find the original Greek of these prayers? What is the standard edition, if any, of Chrystostom's works that one should go to in cases like this?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:13:22 PM »

^ Am I reading this right? An Estonian wrote these prayers in Greek? Why not Estonian, or even Russian?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:14:23 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:20:34 PM »

What is the name of the disc?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »

^ Am I reading this right? An Estonian wrote these prayers in Greek? Why not Estonian, or even Russian?

The Estonian wrote music ("a setting") for prayers written by St. John Chrysostom (who wrote in Greek) using an English translation.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 10:37:31 PM »

Never mind, I found it.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »

The Estonian wrote music ("a setting") for prayers written by St. John Chrysostom (who wrote in Greek) using an English translation.
Okay, that makes sense. Not that I think someone from one country shouldn't learn another language, but I dislike the silliness of keeping a Church language that the local population can't understand.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »

The Estonian composer and Orthodox convert Arvo Pärt wrote some years back a setting of 24 prayers by St. John Chrysostom for every hour of the day and night. Here is the English translation used in the piece.

Does anyone know where I can find the original Greek of these prayers? What is the standard edition, if any, of Chrystostom's works that one should go to in cases like this?

It is one of the standard prayers said before sleeping. It features in most Orthodox prayer books. I would have thought a basic Greek prayer book would include it.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »

As I suggested in my post, I'd prefer to get them from the standard scholarly edition of the writings of St John Chrysostom, whichever that is.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: